Post-Game Talk: The Bear eats cookies in Newark: BRUINS WIN 3-1

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
*runs around the forum high fiving everyone and baking lots of cookies to quell the downtown stench*

20200201_151123.gif

VICTORY COOKIES!!!!

Triple-Chocolate-Cookies-SpendWithPennies-21-500x500.jpg

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Gutsy win. Opponents are not only bringing their A-game, they are game planning. Sure, Pastrnak and Marchand aren't putting up points to expectations recently; but they are basically being shadowed every shift.

There's discussion in the Trent Frederic thread about him playing more relaxed without fear of being benched/scratched. So it was nice seeing him score the game after a boneheaded penalty was costly. Was hoping he'd get an assist for the Gordie Howe Hat Trick.

Lindholm on PP1 was a great adjustment; I don't see the 'point' in having a slower Krejci doing essentially the same job. It's also flirting with disaster not having at least one defensive minded player on the PP.

I was thrilled to hear the TNT crew say Kathryn Tappen would be working the late game; she's the best in the business and has been sorely missed. Maybe when Fenway is feeling better, he, or someone in the know, can explain how that happened. I thought her NBC contract wasn't up for a while.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Ullmark is amazing, definitely the best goalie in the league right now. I agree with Monty on the passing, as the rest of us do, they really need to practice....but they are still winning. The only team in the league not to have lost two in a row. They just keep going and going.

Get well soon Fenway! Give us an update when you can, we are miss you and worry about you.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Ullmark is amazing, definitely the best goalie in the league right now. I agree with Monty on the passing, as the rest of us do, they really need to practice....but they are still winning. The only team in the league not to have lost two in a row. They just keep going and going.

Get well soon Fenway! Give us an update when you can, we are miss you and worry about you.

Ullmark was terrific last night, just continues to be so so solid. I think there's no doubt he's leading the Vezina race right now. Hellebuyck and Sorokin are in the picture but Linus is the clear frontrunner.

I've seen mention of his candidacy for the Hart too and it's not without cause. At present I'd have Ullmark ahead of all the defenders in the league, and most of the forwards. The stumbling block, as so often, is McDavid. His numbers are otherworldly and he continues to drag his team to wins it otherwise would not get. Draisaitl of course is up there too but McDavid is next level. Linus as a finalist contender though? I'd say so.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005

Get well soon, Fenway!

aguineapig

“We need to practice,” Montgomery said. “Have you seen us pass the puck?”
They usually have someone lead the stretch to start practice, maybe have Zacha lead the way passing the puck.
Pick the open man, deliver the pass hard, fast, flat and accurate. The lollipop backhand chip up the boards and toward the middle of the ice need not apply. Unless you want Linus and Sway to practice the breakaways for shootouts. Happy for Zacha to score back to back, he could easily have double the goals with a little luck. But his overall game has been impressive. File those passes away with the five forward powerplay for New Years resolutions at least til June after we lift the Cup.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Was a fun game to be at. Ullmark was lights out. Bruins were hitting the skilled devils players, was great to see. Bruins did not play great, but the top line was outstanding. Freddy played a solid game as well.
Agree. They were really good.

Linus is playing at a level I can't remember having seen for some times now. We have been spoil in net for so long... Thomas, Rask, Ullboyyyyy and Sway learning behind.

Reactions: Gordoff

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Good team they've got down there. They do a hell of a job swarming, but seem less effective when the puck goes below the goal line.

They'd be a nightmare if they added a trigger man like Meier and a real goalie.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Good team they've got down there. They do a hell of a job swarming, but seem less effective when the puck goes below the goal line.

They seem to be a little more fancy than heavy. I’m sure that’ll change as they grow. Very fast team. All young.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

I don't like the way they are handling Holtz. He could be that guy in the future but they are keeping him up here instead of letting him play big minutes in the A. He was superb last year, but playing is better than not playing.

They really do need a true number one goalie.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
*runs around the forum high fiving everyone and baking lots of cookies to quell the downtown stench*

20200201_151123.gif

VICTORY COOKIES!!!!

Triple-Chocolate-Cookies-SpendWithPennies-21-500x500.jpg

*David Coyle gives his share of the cookies to @Fenway as a get well gift*

Thank God for Linus Ullmark. He is without question the best goaltender in the NHL and that is a hill I will die on. He stole this game for the Bruins. They need to buy him the dinner of his choice at the most expensive restaurant in Boston.

The rest of the team? Work on your 5x5 passing, it sucks. You keep trying fancy passes that end up on your opponents's sticks and then you have to pray that Linus or Swayman can save your asses from your stupidity. Lucky for you they are so good but it has to frustrate the hell out of them being left out to dry so often.

Monty- you have to lay down the law to PP1: 60 seconds on the ice & not a second more. I think that would cut down on the many unnecessary passes this unit makes. Tell them they're out there to shoot the puck, not to dazzle the other team with their passing prowess. Until you fix this, I will hate PP1 with the intensity of a thousand exploding suns. All that offensive talent and little PP scoring lately because they won't do the dirty work of crashing the net, they stand around passing the puck waiting for the perfect shot opportunity.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I don't like the way they are handling Holtz. He could be that guy in the future but they are keeping him up here instead of letting him play big minutes in the A. He was superb last year, but playing is better than not playing.

They really do need a true number one goalie.
Holtz played in the game last week, right? Unless I'm having a dementia moment, I thought he actually looked pretty good at one point in that game, getting a good shot off

I'm not sure there's a right way with these kids. They have to break through at the NHL level eventually, regardless of being force fed or seasoning more than vindaloo. We've seen all manner of them fail over the years and, in almost every case, it's because they can't play NHL hockey.

But, as you say, doesn't hurt to change it up. And I'm not sure why they'd burn through his ELC like that with no benefit to the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad