Movies: The Batman

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Finally saw this and I'd say I enjoyed it, although it's still nowhere near Nolan's Batman movies (the first two at least). I agree that Pattinson as Bruce Wayne didn't work as well as him as Batman, but I think that kind of fits for where the character is. He hasn't found the balance between Bruce and Batman yet. Riddler was...interesting. He felt a little too Jokery to me at times. Speaking of, I'm glad they left the deleted Joker scene out. I think the tease at the end was enough, although I haven't kept up to date on the DC stuff, so are they even planning on continuing this "universe" or was it a one and done?

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I'm not trying to be snarky in any way but rather am legitimately curious - what are some films where you liked the soundtrack?

I generally like most soundtracks. There are ones that don't do anything for the films that really come to mind like the one for this film, and also the one for Dune (just random lady screaming and tribal percussion that just didn't seem to fit the mood of the scenes). Nolan's soundtrack was great for a Batman saga.

Reactions: kingsfan28

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Giachinno did the score for “Lost” as well. I liked the soundtrack a lot. Nolan’s will be better obviously because he had Hans freaking Zimmer do it but Giachinno’s was still cool

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I generally like most soundtracks. There are ones that don't do anything for the films that really come to mind like the one for this film, and also the one for Dune (just random lady screaming and tribal percussion that just didn't seem to fit the mood of the scenes). Nolan's soundtrack was great for a Batman saga.

You're the first person I've seen criticizing the Dune soundtrack. I personally loved it as a fan of the books. It fit the intended mood imo. Haven't seen The Batman yet so I'll have to wait and see.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I guess I should weigh in as Batman is my all time fave DC character who I keep up with in the animated movies and comics (though Haven’t followed the main storyline in about a year now for the comics) which Iove!

I thought the movie was very well done (though I liked the dark Knight series a bit better) and was surprised by Pattinson. I was so against him taking the role of Batman, but he definitely proved he is capable of playing the Caped crusader granted not having the deep voice. One thing I loved about this was he was in costume 90 percent of the movie. It was refreshing to see….. Generally it’s 90 percent Bruce Wayne and 10 percent Batman but this was opposite. It was a very dark movie and had some awesome scenes!

One thing I will say from a comic book perspective. I wish they would do another storyline. Riddler and Joker has been beat to death. Do something like Court of owls, or Batman origin (grantee Dark Knight rising I guess touched on that) or touch on Jason Todd… a different Robin.

Regardless, I give the movie 8/10

Do Deathstroke or something next.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I guess I should weigh in as Batman is my all time fave DC character who I keep up with in the animated movies and comics (though Haven’t followed the main storyline in about a year now for the comics) which Iove!

I thought the movie was very well done (though I liked the dark Knight series a bit better) and was surprised by Pattinson. I was so against him taking the role of Batman, but he definitely proved he is capable of playing the Caped crusader granted not having the deep voice. One thing I loved about this was he was in costume 90 percent of the movie. It was refreshing to see….. Generally it’s 90 percent Bruce Wayne and 10 percent Batman but this was opposite. It was a very dark movie and had some awesome scenes!

One thing I will say from a comic book perspective. I wish they would do another storyline. Riddler and Joker has been beat to death. Do something like Court of owls, or Batman origin (grantee Dark Knight rising I guess touched on that) or touch on Jason Todd… a different Robin.

Regardless, I give the movie 8/10

Do Deathstroke or something next.

I'm with you on this part. I liked the slower, detective-like aspect. I'll also add that I really enjoyed Farrell as Penguin. He was in it a lot more than I thought.

I really did enjoy the gritty aspects of this though and the fighting was very street brawl-like. His bat suit was awesome I thought and I liked that its mobility allowed him to move better for the fighting scenes.

It was a cool Joker teaser as well but I agree I'd like to see other villains come into the folder. Have Joker as a Thanos-like presence in the background as they build a storyline.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I'm with you on this part. I liked the slower, detective-like aspect. I'll also add that I really enjoyed Farrell as Penguin. He was in it a lot more than I thought.

I really did enjoy the gritty aspects of this though and the fighting was very street brawl-like. His bat suit was awesome I thought and I liked that its mobility allowed him to move better for the fighting scenes.

It was a cool Joker teaser as well but I agree I'd like to see other villains come into the folder. Have Joker as a Thanos-like presence in the background as they build a storyline.
Completely agree on all counts!! Ferrel was an awesome penguin!

And yes I agree about joker. He’s a great character and any actor that has done joke has done a great job, but it’s been done many many times.

Funny, because I think when this was very first announced they were planning on Deathstroke. Not sure what happened.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

And yes I agree about joker. He’s a great character and any actor that has done joke has done a great job, but it’s been done many many times.

Funny, because I think when this was very first announced they were planning on Deathstroke. Not sure what happened.
Deathstroke would be awesome. I'm with both of you guys that I wish they'd go into some other Batman villains instead of rehashing the Joker and Riddler.

Would love to see someone who hasn't been done in a major Batman film like Killer Croc, Hugo Strange, or Clayface.

• Love
Reactions: tardigrade81

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Deathstroke would be awesome. I'm with both of you guys that I wish they'd go into some other Batman villains instead of rehashing the Joker and Riddler.

Would love to see someone who hasn't been done in a major Batman film like Killer Croc, Hugo Strange, or Clayface.
Hugo Strange would be cool too!!!! Forgot all about him!

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Officially getting a sequel. I really enjoyed this take but glad I waited to watch at home with the length.

ya was going to post that, only thing I hope is that Bruce Wayne is less emo lol

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I loved it, 9/10 I'd say. Very much felt like a neo-noir detective film with a Batman veneer, and if the murders had been bloodier could have been similar to something like Seven. One complaint is that Batman could have used a bit more dialogue overall, though I did like all the Laconic phrases he used and Pattinson portrayed his emotions through facial expressions brilliantly.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Seemed like this one was a grittier “coming of age” one…

Hopefully it’s less emo
I just don't remember Bruce Wayne in the comics ever being soft spoken and with long hair that covers his eyes half the time lol. I think Pattinson did fine as Batman but the Wayne just was not right for me.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
kind of funny

1651099042840.png

If you noticed The Riddler’s oddly fashionable glasses in The Batman, you’re not alone. Now hopefully you aren’t looking to replicate the full ensemble, but if you’re curious about the glasses, they’re the Lemtosh-TT frames in the crystal and gold colorway from Moscot. The Italian acetate frames will run you $380; learn more at the link in bio.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

The wide shot, when they left him in the middle of nowhere and had him walk back, hands and feet tied, cracked me up [ one of the few times].

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It was pretty obvious a sequel would be made. I'd prefer they use a villain they haven't used recently. Keep Joker on the bench maybe for the duration of this trilogy. Mr. Freeze is an early candidate which could be cool (no pun intended).

I don't know if this was posted earlier, someone mashed Adam West's Batman with the Reeves movie trailer.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

The Joker and Magneto are the two villains in their respective franchises who need to be scratched from the lineup for at least a decade if not longer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad