sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
batman-the-batman.gif

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't have a problem with this portrayal (limited as it may be) of the Joker, but at this point I think it's overdone and going to be hard to offer a truly fresh take. Maybe Reeves will "go there" at some point but I hope he focuses on other members of Batman's rogues gallery. I think rumor for the next film is Mr. Freeze.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I liked the scene. Sounds more like 1920’s New York gangster to me than Heath Ledger. Looks wise reminds me more of the Gotham version. I agree though, Joker is played out

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I get why that was cut but I kinda wish it wasnt. The Joker and Batman already having history that we didnt see on screen helps strengthen the year 2 element. It adds to the mystery of this version of BW. It also makes the joker scene they left in feel less random.

I agree other villains should be the focus...but having Joker kinda hover in the background like Thanos did in the the MCU for a while is interesring to me.

At the right time, they can play the card.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Finally say it yesterday and while not perfect, I admit it was a lot better than I thought it would be. I still think they could have done a better job with Bruce Wayne started with making him a whole hell of a lot less Emo. One thing the gear Batman used and the getup used by the Riddler, etc. grounded it a little more in "reality" instead of the more comic book far-out stuff from some of the past movies. Though they did continue to the overly dark themes in the movie and the almost constant raining in Gotham, etc. Thought I did like at the start when he talks about become a creature of the night and he goes up to see Alfred and the sun is coming in through the window and he puts on glasses as he does not see sun light all that often between working at night and being in his "bat cave".

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I did not dislike it as much as Shrimper but I agree it was too long and too broody. It was ok but I was disappointed. I thought Robert Pattinson and Zoe Kravitz were good but not impressed with this production of it overall. The Riddler was not very good. Chris Nolan's adaptation of Batman is still the best IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: PostBradMalone

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I wasn’t expecting much from the umpteenth Batman portrayal/adaptation in the past decade, but this is, hands down, the best live-action Batman film ever made. I don’t really get excited for entertainment anymore, but I’m legitimately looking forward to how they choose to write the sequel.

Just no Joker yet, please. Give another villain or two a chance first. Gotta earn that film with Joker as the antagonist these days.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The cinematic equivalent to a three-hour walk to the subway on a dark, cold, windy, late March day in the freezing rain. That's what it felt like to me.

Reactions: Jack Straw

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Just watched it. It was long and hard to watch. But at least the color grading was much better than Batfleck Batman. Soundtrack also seemed limited or repetitive and for me sound is really affects enjoyment.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Something that sounds like it has romantic appeal but is ultimately always a bad idea?
Freezing rain and romance? That only appeals to dolphins.

To me, the movie was an unremitting slog to sit through. I can see why Pattinson opted for only one appearance.

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Finally got around to this last night on HBO.

Really loved it. I can see why it would be boring for a lot of viewers. I've always been enamored with Batman, so it's hard for me to dislike most things in that universe. As a stand-alone film it isn't the strongest Batman movie for sure, but I like the world and character that they're setting up in their take on the Caped Crusader.

I loved the inexperienced and sort of aimless style of Batman in this film. He's still reckless and hasn't quite figured out all of his gear or strategies yet. I loved the scene where he first glides in that awkward suit and doesn't quite have it figured out yet. I'm sure a big scene in the next film will be him refining his equipment and taking flight in a more conventional "Batman" style.

Also loved their interpretation of Alfred so far. He's still young-ish and has room to grow and develop alongside Batman as well, looking forward to seeing where this dynamic goes as well!

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
So what was the purpose behind flooding the city? It seemed like the Mayor-elect was primed to speak at the podium regardless of the flood, so I am having trouble understanding how that helped Riddler's plan. Unless the idea was to just massacre everyone, but that didn't exactly seem clear, either.
I think it was just for maximum chaos and spreading fear. He wanted to create confusion and mayhem, and according to Riddler's little outburst at the end, it seemed like he thought this would impress Batman somehow and this would be some special moment that they would take in together.

Riddler is a very egotistical showman, so I think he really just wanted to make a giant spectacle, as well as taking out as many people as he could in the process.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
This was the best Detective Batman put to screen...ever. It was the perfect True Crime plot that was really well written. The only drawback was not seeing more of the playboy side of Bruce. The Riddler is among the best villainy portrayals in Super Hero movies next to Heath Ledger and Joaquin Phoenix. Not even Marvel has come close to the depth of batshit crazy that a movie bad guy could become. The climax was not something I expected and the cast was really well put together.

So what was the purpose behind flooding the city? It seemed like the Mayor-elect was primed to speak at the podium regardless of the flood, so I am having trouble understanding how that helped Riddler's plan. Unless the idea was to just massacre everyone, but that didn't exactly seem clear, either.
To fully finish the cleansing of Gotham of all the corruption along with the people in the arena with guns. That was his plan all along. To first get rid of all the people responsible for the corruption with the Renewal fund and then wipe Gotham clean and start all over.

::edit::

He wanted to go after Bruce because the orphanage the Riddler was in lost funding and pissed him off that Bruce Wayne, an orphan, wasn't a true orphan in the eyes of the Riddler.

Last edited:

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Just watched it. It was long and hard to watch. But at least the color grading was much better than Batfleck Batman. Soundtrack also seemed limited or repetitive and for me sound is really affects enjoyment.

I'm not trying to be snarky in any way but rather am legitimately curious - what are some films where you liked the soundtrack?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
There were some things I liked about it. The noir detective Batman style I thought came off fairly well for the most part. Pattinson in the suit was good. Out of the suit not so much. Emo Bruce Wayne didn't really do it for me. The Riddler was a solid villain, liked what they did with him and the performance.

Too long though, really a common complaint of mine about these big blockbuster type films. So many would really benefit from trimming a half hour off. The last 45 minutes after the climax in particular struck me as mostly pointless, like the end of Peter Jackson's ROTK. Just sew it up and be done with it. Overall I didn't have high expectations and they were mostly met. 5/10

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
There were some things I liked about it. The noir detective Batman style I thought came off fairly well for the most part. Pattinson in the suit was good. Out of the suit not so much. Emo Bruce Wayne didn't really do it for me. The Riddler was a solid villain, liked what they did with him and the performance.

Too long though, really a common complaint of mine about these big blockbuster type films. So many would really benefit from trimming a half hour off. The last 45 minutes after the climax in particular struck me as mostly pointless, like the end of Peter Jackson's ROTK. Just sew it up and be done with it. Overall I didn't have high expectations and they were mostly met. 5/10

Yup. The flooding arc was a colossal bore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad