The Barry Trotz Effect?

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
Sometime around game 40 I hope to post an update. I am curious how Rierden's stats look by then.

Yeah. It's such a hard thing to quatifiy. The longer a coach has been with a team, and the more that team has been together, it feels like it will take longer for a new coach to put their imprint on that team.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Sample size is way too smal.

With such a small sample size the margin of error is probably 25% and the confidence level 80% (numbers taken fron my *** cause i don't have the time to calculate the real ones).

Reactions: Hivemind

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Too early to read much into these numbers yet. With only 10 games for each team, the stats are still heavily biased by the performances in individual games, and both teams are still getting adjusted to a new season and new system. Let's revisit these numbers sometime around the new year.

Reactions: Kevs Security

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Man, I get it about the sample size. I didn’t mean to offend all the purists in here, I even mentioned it in the OP twice.

Nah man, if you make an early observation about something that can be potentially interesting to keep track of, hf will yell “but muh sample size”

This years islanders team is a great case study on the importance of coaching. Should be fun to see what happens

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Sample size is way too smal.

With such a small sample size the margin of error is probably 25% and the confidence level 80% (numbers taken fron my *** cause i don't have the time to calculate the real ones).
Impossible to say without the standard deviation. T score based on sample size of 10 and alpha of .2 (using your 80% confidence number) is 1.383 but that doesn't mean anything if we don't have the margin of error, which is reliant on the standard deviation.

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
trotz may be a good coach and a cup winner but even he cant turn the stench of long island into gold. islanders need a couple more good drafting years. it took Lamoriello 7 years until the devils were cup contenders if you want a comparable.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
trotz may be a good coach and a cup winner but even he cant turn the stench of long island into gold. islanders need a couple more good drafting years. it took Lamoriello 7 years until the devils were cup contenders if you want a comparable.

The stench of Long Island? Not like the team is pathetic with nothing to build with. The roster is decent, the prospect pool is deep, ownership is great, getting a brand new arena, and finally good management and coaching.

Reactions: sebsisles

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
The stench of Long Island? Not like the team is pathetic with nothing to build with. The roster is decent, the prospect pool is deep, ownership is great, getting a brand new arena, and finally good management and coaching.

I'm afraid your team just isn't good enough. you may think differently but that's the truth.

some tough years lie ahead. Lamoriello isn't a quick fix gm

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Trotz is probably the best coach when it comes to squeezing blood out of a rock.
Yep. After watching him for years in Nashville none of what is being thought here is a surprise. Your talking about the man who sent Forsberg to the AHL to work on his defensive game and was blamed for guys never developing their offensive talent.

If you are playing for Barry Trotz you are going to play defense or you will be in the doghouse and playing 4th line minutes.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
With the high conversion on high danger chances, I think that it's just mainly caused by the small sample size. I would think that it will regress, quite a bit over time.

We'll see. IIRC the Caps had a high conversion ratio toward the end of last year and throughout the playoffs. Part of that was talent, but part was an offensive system that emphasized cross-crease passes and generating shots against goalies forced to move laterally.

Trotz may be implimenting a similar system on the island.

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
We'll see. IIRC the Caps had a high conversion ratio toward the end of last year and throughout the playoffs. Part of that was talent, but part was an offensive system that emphasized cross-crease passes and generating shots against goalies forced to move laterally.

Trotz may be implimenting a similar system on the island.

Trotz system probably does increase the rate at which you hope to convert, however given that the Islanders are producing far fewer High Danger chances than he was able to get Washington to produce last year, but not scoring on that many fewer of them, I don't think it's sustainable given the fact the Islanders don't really have as high end of offensive weapons as Washington had at their disposal.

I think he is doing good things on the Island, but I think there is a bit of regression coming unless they start creating more high danger chances.

Reactions: Chips

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Trotz is probably the best coach when it comes to squeezing blood out of a rock.

Winner. Trotz is used to coaching teams that have budget challenges and has to stretch it. With the Caps it was almost too much of a good thing for him.

Trotz is a great coach.

The Caps are not really the issue. You cant get much out of their current play that you can use as anything predictive.

Reactions: Chips

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Love Trotz & hated him going to NYI at first... then I realized he would make them too good to land a top pick but not good enough to contend.
His loss seems to be affecting your team, also. Maybe you are now good enough to make the playoffs, but not repeat.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Nah, it was just Wilson being suspended. He's back now
Probably joking, but this is legit. He’s really not close to a 4th line plug anymore, at least for now. He looks great on the ice these games he’s been back, it looks like he’s been playing all season. He’s a leader too no doubt. He came back to a reeling team looking like he’d been playing on a dominant team all season.

Trotz is very good, especially as a motivator, and his system is very good but his system is has its flaws. The Caps bled high-Danger chances against last season, 2nd worst team of the last 10 years in that regard. The Caps were loaded with offensive, mobile talent to overcome that through their transition game.... but they looked horrible all round games when their forwards couldn’t pass or win puck battles in the offensive zone, the whole thing fell apart.

****The Islanders... don’t have quite as much talent this season as the Caps did last season... also, that one team I said was worse than the Caps in the last 10 years at preventing high-Danger chances... was the Islanders of last season. So, yeah. Safe bet they’re playing unsustainably. Once their goalies cool down to their usual level, which is very likely, this could be the least superhuman team out there.

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
His loss seems to be affecting your team, also. Maybe you are now good enough to make the playoffs, but not repeat.

I don't think it's uncommon. Impossible to predict that a slow start after a long playoff and championship... is a result of a coach.

Stanley cup hangovers....

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
If I was able to pick any coach right now to coach my team it would be between Trotz and Laviolette.

Reactions: SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad