The Babcocalypse: Babcock to Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Okay it might be an exaggeration. I guess I just struggle to see the upside in exchanging a sure fire HOF coach for a rookie. I am sure if Holland hires Blashill he is a qualified guy but I don't see any possibility of this being an upgrade. Even the slightest downgrade puts us out of the playoffs the last 3 years. How exactly could this possibly be construed as good news?

Because a change can be a good thing. Just because Babcock is one of the best coaches in the league doesn't mean, that after 10 years, it won't be beneficial to change it up. It felt like the franchise has been getting a bit stale the past few years and a change like this might be enough to reinvigorate the fans and players and mentally prepare them for a new era.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Wow, never thought I'd see the day when Babcock would cry.

The man deserves a realgud ovation the first time he brings the leafs to the Joe.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Okay it might be an exaggeration. I guess I just struggle to see the upside in exchanging a sure fire HOF coach for a rookie. I am sure if Holland hires Blashill he is a qualified guy but I don't see any possibility of this being an upgrade. Even the slightest downgrade puts us out of the playoffs the last 3 years. How exactly could this possibly be construed as good news?
Because the fate of the Wings is likely to change. Either the new coach will somehow better connect with, motivate, or otherwise direct the roster, and there will be greater success, or there will be a step back, at least initially, and they'll finally get a decent draft pick. But the least likely scenario is to be exactly what they are now, which is a fringe team that never goes anywhere meaningful.

Actual Thought*

Because a change can be a good thing. Just because Babcock is one of the best coaches in the league doesn't mean, that after 10 years, it won't be beneficial to change it up. It felt like the franchise has been getting a bit stale the past few years and a change like this might be enough to reinvigorate the fans and players and mentally prepare them for a new era.

I don't see it that way at all. How reinvigorated will the fans and players be when they miss the playoffs? I am guessing not very.

The roster has been almost completely flipped over the last couple of years. I don't see the "stale" argument at all. If anything this roster has heard Blashill's voice more than Babcock's. There has been zero evidence that the team was tuning Babcock out. I don't subscribe to the "anything is better than what we have" idea that seems so popular here. I think most here vastly underestimate Babcock's positive influence and I think logic dictates that a very rude awakening awaits them.

Losing Lidstrom was a change. How has that worked out?

Actual Thought*

Because the fate of the Wings is likely to change. Either the new coach will somehow better connect with, motivate, or otherwise direct the roster, and there will be greater success, or there will be a step back, at least initially, and they'll finally get a decent draft pick. But the least likely scenario is to be exactly what they are now, which is a fringe team that never goes anywhere meaningful.

If I was rooting for draft picks I would just stick to the Lions. I have no interest in the "be terrible so you can get draft picks" idea. That is how you build a culture of losing. This team has been on the upward climb. Under Babcock they gave Tampa all they could handle. A step back is the last thing they need and I don't see any validity to the argument that they will gain greater success under a rookie coach. This is on the job training.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I don't see it that way at all. How reinvigorated will the fans and players be when they miss the playoffs? I am guessing not very.

The roster has been almost completely flipped over the last couple of years. I don't see the "stale" argument at all. If anything this roster has heard Blashill's voice more than Babcock's. There has been zero evidence that the team was tuning Babcock out. I don't subscribe to the "anything is better than what we have" idea that seems so popular here. I think most here vastly underestimate Babcock's positive influence and I think logic dictates that a very rude awakening awaits them.

We lost Lidstrom and didn't replace him with anything close to Lidstrom.

The principle of the thing happens all the time though. Players often benefit from a change of scenery. They struggle one place, flourish another. Sometimes changing a goalie, even when it's not his fault the team is losing, results in the team waking up.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005

It will be a VERY rude awakening this coming season. A majority of this board is in fantasy land right now. I don't mind having hope...and make no mistake, all these predictions about players thriving and new messages and a reinvigorated team under Blashill is purely HOPE....but at some point we have to deal with reality. I always say reality is the roster, and the roster we have...the one that Ken Holland is responsible for...is not very impressive, and not close to contending for anything. That's with Babcock, Blashill or anyone else.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
It will be a VERY rude awakening this coming season. A majority of this board is in fantasy land right now. I don't mind having hope...and make no mistake, all these predictions about players thriving and new messages and a reinvigorated team under Blashill is purely HOPE....but at some point we have to deal with reality. I always say reality is the roster, and the roster we have...the one that Ken Holland is responsible for...is not very impressive, and not close to contending for anything. That's with Babcock, Blashill or anyone else.

I don't think the majority of this board is living in fantasy land anymore. Some still cling to hope, but reality has set in for the majority of posters.

I personally don't think Blashill will improve the team. Best case scenario would be, the team stays the same.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If I was rooting for draft picks I would just stick to the Lions. I have no interest in the "be terrible so you can get draft picks" idea. That is how you build a culture of losing. This team has been on the upward climb. Under Babcock they gave Tampa all they could handle. A step back is the last thing they need and I don't see any validity to the argument that they will gain greater success under a rookie coach. This is on the job training.
In 2013 they "gave Chicago all they could handle", then got trucked in the 1st round the next year. Until they either miss the playoffs or make the Conference Finals, they're treading water, which is as boring as it is frustrating. Good luck, Mike, but welcome aboard, Blash.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

If you compare Blashill's resume with Babcock's when he got his first NHL job there isn't much difference and it would be easy to argue that Blashill's is superior especially if he wins a 2nd Calder cup this year.

He lacks Babcock's experience, that is a given, but as far as coaching ability, its quite possible that he can be a better coach for this team.

I've never understood the point in being pessimistic when it comes to sports fandom.

Actual Thought*

If you think free agents didn't want to come play for the best coach in the NHL just imagine how many will want to come play for a total unknown. I don't see any trade clauses getting waived to come play for Jeff Blashill. However I don't see the roster as being as bad as you seem to believe. This is a parity league. Sure the Hawks are pretty stacked but the cap is gonna rear its' ugly head there too. They still have an upper echelon coach and they play structured. Structure trumps stat sheet talent IMO. On paper the Wings shouldn't have competed against Tampa at all. In reality they should have won the series given the way they played the majority of the time. Coaching is the reason.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
If you think free agents didn't want to come play for the best coach in the NHL just imagine how many will want to come play for a total unknown. I don't see any trade clauses getting waived to come play for Jeff Blashill. However I don't see the roster as being as bad as you seem to believe. This is a parity league. Sure the Hawks are pretty stacked but the cap is gonna rear its' ugly head there too. They still have an upper echelon coach and they play structured. Structure trumps stat sheet talent IMO. On paper the Wings shouldn't have competed against Tampa at all. In reality they should have won the series given the way they played the majority of the time. Coaching is the reason.

For every player that wanted to play for Babcock there is a story of a player who hated playing for him.

Jordin Tootoo is the latest to vent his frustration of playing for Babcock, who he said never communicated with the players.

It's pretty telling that when describing Blashill's style, every one of the younger players interviewed made a point of mentioning that while he's demanding Blashill does a fantastic job communicating with his players.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
how many teams wanted babcock? 4 if he is a great as people say why so few?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

I love how the pessimists around here always lay claim to being "realistic".

I fully admit to being much more optimistic about the team than most, but I don't try to pass of my feelings about the team as being more "realistic" than anyone elses.

Reality generally falls somewhere in between the 2 extremes.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I love how the pessimists around here always lay claim to being "realistic".

I fully admit to being much more optimistic about the team than most, but I don't try to pass of my feelings about the team as being more "realistic" than anyone elses.

Reality generally falls somewhere in between the 2 extremes.

The only reason we 'pessimists' have to use the word realistic is because of the labels doom and gloomers and spoiled fans and yada yada.

Keep in mind that this is our realistic view. We don't feel like we are being pessimistic. I don't think it's pessimistic to understand that nyquist and tatar are only going to get better as someone said a few posts back. Or that Dekeyser is going to turn into a stud mumber one defenseman because he was fiftieth in defenseman scoring.

There's a metric **** ton of questions surrounding this team. I don't think it's pessimistic to think there's a chance you miss the playoffs next year when your two best players are a year older, you lose your head coach and you've barely made the playoffs three years running.

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
how many teams wanted babcock? 4 if he is a great as people say why so few?

Were you expecting all 29 teams to fire their coaches for a less then 5% chance at babcock? Pretty much every team except Edmonton reportedly went after him who had openings.

Actual Thought*

We lost Lidstrom and didn't replace him with anything close to Lidstrom.

The principle of the thing happens all the time though. Players often benefit from a change of scenery. They struggle one place, flourish another. Sometimes changing a goalie, even when it's not his fault the team is losing, results in the team waking up.

We lost Babcock and there aren't any options that are close to him for replacement. You got what you wished for. Buckle up. I think its gonna be a bumpy ride.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
This cannot be understated. Abby spent something like 100+ games looking like trash and destroying scoring opportunities before it clicked for him.

Yes, some guys got that kind of time, like Ericsson as well.

That was a wonderful gesture by Babs and family, with the ads in the papers. Still don't blame him one bit for choosing this path. It was time and that was too much money/term/conditions to leave on the table.

Actual Thought*

For every player that wanted to play for Babcock there is a story of a player who hated playing for him.

Jordin Tootoo is the latest to vent his frustration of playing for Babcock, who he said never communicated with the players.

It's pretty telling that when describing Blashill's style, every one of the younger players interviewed made a point of mentioning that while he's demanding Blashill does a fantastic job communicating with his players.

I don't care if the players feel warm and fuzzy. Scotty Bowman wasn't beloved by players until they hoisted the cup. Players don't love Quenneville or Suter either. As a matter of fact I don't remember the last player's coach that won the cup. Players who play for each other win the cup. Players who play for their coach learn to golf better. Scotty created an atmosphere where the players rallied together against him. He didn't take them to nice dinners.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Wow, never thought I'd see the day when Babcock would cry.

The man deserves a realgud ovation the first time he brings the leafs to the Joe.

Yeah, he left on realgud terms...he doesn't deserve heat (right away). He did leave for a rival though. After a while, the sentimental stuff goes away like with Yzerman in Tampa and you want to kick their teeth in.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
The only reason we 'pessimists' have to use the word realistic is because of the labels doom and gloomers and spoiled fans and yada yada.

Keep in mind that this is our realistic view. We don't feel like we are being pessimistic. I don't think it's pessimistic to understand that nyquist and tatar are only going to get better as someone said a few posts back. Or that Dekeyser is going to turn into a stud mumber one defenseman because he was fiftieth in defenseman scoring.

There's a metric **** ton of questions surrounding this team. I don't think it's pessimistic to think there's a chance you miss the playoffs next year when your two best players are a year older, you lose your head coach and you've barely made the playoffs three years running.

As opposed to being called "apologists" and being accused of living in "Fantasy Land" etc.

Clearly you missed my point.

Your "realistic" view isn't mine or many other's realistic view, and you don't have any greater claim to reality than anyone else.

You and several others think the team is going to get worse (pessimistic view), I and many others think it will improve (Optimistic). Neither is more realistic than the other.

They are just opinions and everyones got one.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Yes, some guys got that kind of time, like Ericsson as well.

Do you think Holland came to the consensus that Ericsson was good enough to be on a top pairing? Or he just couldn't find the right deal in free agency to replace him? I'm not even convinced had we gotten Niskanen or Stralman that they would've played with Kronwall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad