The Babcocalypse: Babcock to Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
that shouldn't have happened in 13 or 14 but this season it wasn't that outrageous. abdelkader player like legit top6 W and was the only player who had good size along with that and was healthy most of the year.

But does Abdelkader have this season without having the opportunities the past couple of years? I don't know, but I can see a case for him never stretching his game out because he was only asked to be a fourth liner and knock some bodies around.

Actual Thought*

Looks like Babcock is taking some local talent with him to Toronto.

It was reported yesterday that the GM of the OHL's Saginaw Spirit, Jim Paliafito, is heading to Toronto with Babcock to be the new director of player evaluation.

Expect some Wings staff to join him as well. This isn't pluck Babcock and plug in Blashill. This is gutting the coaching staff and starting over.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
But does Abdelkader have this season without having the opportunities the past couple of years? I don't know, but I can see a case for him never stretching his game out because he was only asked to be a fourth liner and knock some bodies around.

probably not. i was wrong with that.

but i'm also sure that he hurt more than helped the past two years on top 6.. outside of short stretches, like nyquist-Z-abby line that was very good before olympics.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

This cannot be understated. Abby spent something like 100+ games looking like trash and destroying scoring opportunities before it clicked for him.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Does Detroit make the playoffs next year? I will be very salty and say they miss for the first time next year. Why?

1. Because Z and D are noticeably declining.
2. Tatar and Nyquist are not going to be able to take up enough of the slack, especially on the defensive side of the puck.
3. The defense will be exposed, especially if Bash goes with a more wide open style. People don't appreciate that while Babcock was a sandy ******* at times and killed offense with his lines, they forget, that he killed the other teams offense as well. This really bailed out the d corps.
4. The goalie controversy: Howard is too much of a headcase, but I can't see them riding a 5 million dollar backup and he will likely split time without confidence.
5. I have a bad feeling the injury bug will bite again. Detroit was relatively healthy last season, and they still barely made it. If the years preceding last season are any indication they can expect to be top 5 in injuries again next year.

So all that has me feeling they will enter the trade deadline on the outside looking in. Holland will make a panic move, and this year it'll be a little too little a little too late.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Does Detroit make the playoffs next year? I will be very salty and say they miss for the first time next year. Why?

2. Tatar and Nyquist are not going to be able to take up enough of the slack, especially on the defensive side of the puck.
3. The defense will be exposed, especially if Bash goes with a more wide open style. People don't appreciate that while Babcock was a sandy ******* at times and killed offense with his lines, they forget, that he killed the other teams offense as well. This really bailed out the d corps.
4. The goalie controversy: Howard is too much of a headcase, but I can't see them riding a 5 million dollar backup and he will likely split time without confidence.
5. I have a bad feeling the injury bug will bite again. Detroit was relatively healthy last season, and they still barely made it. If the years preceding last season are any indication they can expect to be top 5 in injuries again next year.

So all that has me feeling they will enter the trade deadline on the outside looking in. Holland will make a panic move, and this year it'll be a little too little a little too late.

You've been overly negative about this team for awhile. You don't need to keep trying to convince people you think they'll suck.

1. Datsyuk had probably his best season in like 4 or 5 years. If he didn't get injured at the start of the year he would have been in the discussion for the Art Ross trophy.

2. Tatar and Nyquist are only going to continue to get better and better as they get more experience and ice time.

3. The defense will remain the same. It's middle of the pack. It's whatever.

4. The goaltending is the last thing you have to worry about with this team.

5. Go outside and get some fresh air.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

I don't feel the same way, but understand how you could come to the following conclusions.

I think they'll be fine early on in the short term. Datsyuk will have his yearly major-ish injury and will miss about 15 games - but both will still be good enough to be our best forwards.

I think Tatar and Nyquist are due for a bigger role, not sure what that is and it's harder when they're wingers as their roles will always be less than important of the center ice position.

This, I am concerned about. Hopefully Ericsson can get healthy and not be bad for long stretches, but we need to see some tweaks on the defense. Babcock did do a great job at picking the defensemans spots, I wonder if Blashill will do the same.

The Howard contract is a nightmare, I didn't like it from the start (I don't really like any goalie contracts over 4.5m though). Howard has lost his job in the playoffs two years in a row, he should be done - but he's homegrown and will get another chance next year to compete.

This will be fascinating to watch. Some have blamed Babcock for these injuries, we'll see how true that is next season.

Yeah, I'd like to see some more proactive trades this year.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
MOD

without significant adjustments that is
-signing/trading for a PROVEN top 3 dman
-signing/trading for a solid 4/5 dman
-trading/giving away at least 1 of these 3(smith, ericsson, kindl)

then the defence will be as bad as last year without the coaching skill set to overcome it

its black and white, its that simple

the forwards and goaltending will be just fine however

Last edited by a moderator:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I don't feel the same way, but understand how you could come to the following conclusions.

I'm not salty in the slightest. I fully expect to miss the playoffs and am looking forward to finally getting elite talent. I wish Holland would have done more to proactively improve the hockey club but that's done and over. Prepare for the rebuild, there's no putting off any longer.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
without significant adjustments that is
-signing/trading for a PROVEN top 3 dman
-signing/trading for a solid 4/5 dman
-trading/giving away at least 1 of these 3(smith, ericsson, kindl)

then the defence will be as bad as last year without the coaching skill set to overcome it

its black and white, its that simple

the forwards and goaltending will be just fine however

I agree with this, but then again the whole "shot suppression strategy" people were touting all season long really went to hell after the all-star break. Though I didn't think it was sustainable to begin with. There's really no way to "coach up" the defense much more than what Babcock did. They are what they are.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Expect some Wings staff to join him as well. This isn't pluck Babcock and plug in Blashill. This is gutting the coaching staff and starting over.

He's only taking the guys he brought in. Jim Hiller and Andrew Brewer.

No word on what Granato is doing, but it doesn't sound like he's heading to Toronto.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Didn't realize he did this, pretty cool:

CFnXZk3WYAEhRLh.png:large

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
that shouldn't have happened in 13 or 14 but this season it wasn't that outrageous. abdelkader player like legit top6 W and was the only player who had good size along with that and was healthy most of the year.

Two things to keep in mind is that his shooting percentage was way over his previous seasons and he's 28. So it remains to be seen if last year is what we can expect in the future or if it was an anomaly.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I give Babs full marks for making the clean break but not burning any bridges or ruffling feathers on the way out. I hope the Wings beat his ass going forward but I don't have the venom towards him like I had towards Fedorov when he left. I still root for a guy like Hudler who had to find another gig because the Wings didn't want him back and he's doing well.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
This will be fascinating to watch. Some have blamed Babcock for these injuries, we'll see how true that is next season.

I blame him less for the injuries and more for the club just looking gassed at times. I don't think it's a coincidence that as we focused more on younger guys in the lineup this year that we had fewer injury problems.

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
Definitely a class act.

Could be interesting that Detroit could be the team that gives Tampa the biggest challenge coming out of the East.

Ready for Blash, but can't deny Babcock was simply a great coach.

Actual Thought*

He's only taking the guys he brought in. Jim Hiller and Andrew Brewer.

No word on what Granato is doing, but it doesn't sound like he's heading to Toronto.

Granato may get some interviews for head coaching jobs but in any case new head coaches very rarely keep their predecessor's staff.

I don't dislike Blashill. I just think he is a complete unknown. Basically he is just a prospect with zero NHL head coaching experience. I think there is zero chance he will be as good as Babcock in the short term and very little chance he will be as good at any point in his career. The same could be said for almost every coach in the NHL. Why so many here are ready to put him in the HOF at this point is beyond me. I will be flat out shocked if he makes the playoffs this year. There is a huge difference between coaching starry eyed kids and coaching millionaires. For the 1st time in my adult life I have no confidence that the Wings can make a run.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Granato may get some interviews for head coaching jobs but in any case new head coaches very rarely keep their predecessor's staff.

I don't dislike Blashill. I just think he is a complete unknown. Basically he is just a prospect with zero NHL head coaching experience. I think there is zero chance he will be as good as Babcock in the short term and very little chance he will be as good at any point in his career. The same could be said for almost every coach in the NHL. Why so many here are ready to put him in the HOF at this point is beyond me. I will be flat out shocked if he makes the playoffs this year. There is a huge difference between coaching starry eyed kids and coaching millionaires. For the 1st time in my adult life I have no confidence that the Wings can make a run.

Pray tell, who might those people be?

Actual Thought*

Pray tell, who might those people be?

Okay it might be an exaggeration. I guess I just struggle to see the upside in exchanging a sure fire HOF coach for a rookie. I am sure if Holland hires Blashill he is a qualified guy but I don't see any possibility of this being an upgrade. Even the slightest downgrade puts us out of the playoffs the last 3 years. How exactly could this possibly be construed as good news?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad