The Babcocalypse: Babcock to Toronto II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Carlyle isn't the imbecile people in Toronto make him out to be. Heck even Ron Wilson had done some things in the league and Internationally that are at least worthy of respect.

Keep in mind Carlyle has as many cups as Babcock.

This kind of rhetoric reminds me of how fast you changed your tune about the Olympics once Babcock's Canadian team shut down the States last year ;)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This kind of rhetoric reminds me of how fast you changed your tune about the Olympics once Babcock's Canadian team shut down the States last year ;)

Confused what you are driving at. He took maybe the best offensive team I have ever seen and neutered their offense. That was actually far from a ringing endorsement on Babcock.

I was very disappointed with how the USA played in winning time. However, lets not pretend Canada wasn't prohibitive favorites and they played maybe the most unattractive hockey imaginable. Sure give him Doughty and Price and it will work out, unfortunately he is never going to get that again.

Babcock's Canada accomplishments do nothing for me. Honestly feel bad for the Leafs there (well sort of... I hate the Leafs) that they just paid probably an additional 20 million for the guy for those performances. Heck you saw the lets be as boring as possible almost cost them the Gold in Vancouver.

I understand why Canadians buy into that, I am not sure why NHL people should. Much more concerned with him getting de-pants by McLellan, Trotz heck even Cooper late in the series in adjustments at the NHL level lately. Babcock's 2-1 win plan isn't something I have been on board with for a while. Not only is it not fun to watch, he seems to need to have exceptional talent to make it happen.

I evaluate Babcock a decent amount outside of his National Team experiences and have said as much for a while now.

Fairly excited to watch Toronto to play out. I think Babcock is a Top 10 coach in the league. He will get to whatever your expectations are most years. Well the Leafs expectations are awful for a while and at some point the are going to be expecting him to punch above his weight and I don't think it is going to happen. I am fascinated to watch that play out.

Last edited:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I'm gonna laugh when by game 10 Gardiner gets the kindl/smith treatment. Yet on HF leafs almost unanimously think he will be the #1 most improved player because of Babs.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Kid has nothing in his skull. And Babs will eat him alive because of it. He like smith to me at least would have probably been a great example of converting to winger to get value from him as a asset.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
"Better coach" isn't some obvious thing. You choose your coach based on fit, not who is "better." Babs tried to turn a skill roster into a grinding team with little creativity. In my opinion, Babs is better suited to coach a team like St. Louis or Anaheim. It remains to be seen if Blashill is a better fit for the Wings, but it's very possible that his system fits the Wings' strengths better than Babcock's. Babcock didn't really play to the Wings' strengths in my opinion. He was more about covering up their flaws. This is why he was so obsessed with playing "safe" players, like Abdelkader, Helm, Glendenning, Cleary, etc.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is why he was so obsessed with playing "safe" players, like Abdelkader, Helm, Glendenning, Cleary, etc.

Don't forget Lashoff. Didn't he play top pair with Kronwall for a bit once? :laugh:

Avery Rule

Jun 1, 2010
attachment.php

attachment.php

yep.....:nod:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Were people really expecting Toronto to be good this year? I don't get the memes.
Sometimes it seems as through there are two camps on these boards, with regards to the relative impact of talent and coaching in professional hockey.

One camp tends to view the talent on each NHL roster as being close to equal, and that it is team discipline and camaraderie, lead by a talented coaching staff, that ultimately makes the difference between those who succeed and those who fail. Talent is certainly still important, but the difference between the most and least talented players is much less than the difference between the best and worst coaches.

The other camp tends to hold the exact opposite viewpoint. Some coaches are better than others, and a great coach can bring a given team's performance to an incrementally better level, but the majority of a team's wins and losses simply rests upon the talent of the players. This second camp tends to believe that there is a noticeable difference between the talent level of the best and worst teams in the league, and a smaller difference between the best and worst coaches.

It's a VERY small sample size thus far, but since I'm in the second camp, let's just say that I'm not exactly shocked that Toronto is off to a poor start.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Probably not.

I think if any more comments come out about Babs' time here, and it seems like news, a new thread can get started. (There was something by Khan recently with Z saying that it was probably time for a fresh start.)

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad