The Babcocalypse: Babcock to Toronto II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Depending on who you listen to, he also asked about the availability of the job and wanted to interview for it. Yes I think Babcock was moving in another direction, but they also wanted to put Blash behind the bench in Grand Rapids. Where now, very few could question his decisions.

An important hire for Blashill will be the assistants, as his strength is not the PP. He is quite good with the PK and 5 on 5, but if you had to point to the area where he is not outstanding it remains his PP. We need to get somebody that is really good at that particular area.

His variation on the Detroit system comes at the pace with which his teams play through the neutral zone.

Like most coaches he will need full buy-in from the Leadership group. I hope Kronwall, Datsyuk and Zetterberg do that and I think they will in this stint.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
It is a demotion for Blashill and an admission of mistake by the Red Wings.

Babcock wanted to think outside of the box and make a bold hire, but it was a bit egregious to put a greenhorn behind the bench of a veteran team and expect him to elevate the play of some of NHL greats, who probably often thought twice about taking Blashill’s coaching to heart.
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....fins_is_a.html

Obviously it was the right move seeing as where he is today.

Oh, I thought you meant the comment came from upper management.

The writer was correct, the PP wasn't good. And I agree that season was a let down, but I'm not sure Blashill is the one to point the finger at. And I'm not sure I agree the vets didn't take him seriously (or coaching to heart).

Just hope he isn't another Dave Lewis.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Depending on who you listen to, he also asked about the availability of the job and wanted to interview for it. Yes I think Babcock was moving in another direction, but they also wanted to put Blash behind the bench in Grand Rapids. Where now, very few could question his decisions.

An important hire for Blashill will be the assistants, as his strength is not the PP. He is quite good with the PK and 5 on 5, but if you had to point to the area where he is not outstanding it remains his PP. We need to get somebody that is really good at that particular area.

His variation on the Detroit system comes at the pace with which his teams play through the neutral zone.

Like most coaches he will need full buy-in from the Leadership group. I hope Kronwall, Datsyuk and Zetterberg do that and I think they will in this stint.

Has Phil Housley been hired in the NHL yet? I'd love for him to be on the staff. Was so impressed with what he did with Team USA.

Just checked. Can we poach him for the Preds? Please.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Just one point I wanted to touch on:

This quote is in reference to how the 2014 Men's Olympic team won its' gold medal.

The primary point remains HOW they won.

I wouldn't focus too much on the system they used and instead focus on the fact that it was one of the most dominant tournament wins in history. The games against the U.S. and Sweden were borderline comical in how one sided they were.

I think how they won is more indicative of demonstrating just how dominant a possession based, defense oriented system can actually be if implemented well.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Have any other Wings fans soured on Babcock a bit? I agree with the sentiments a friend relayed to me expressed by Illich, that he wasn't happy with the way Babcock ran his clown show. 1st of all in the heart of the SC playoffs, why not wait 3 weeks? The biggest criticism is the way he led Buffalo and Detroit on with his double-speak, what a fraud.

The day after he jumped ship with his silhouette surrounded by a blue Maple Leaf on their enormous backdrops...wow I thought what a traitor. Babcock mentions how proud he is to coach two original 6 teams, but moving on to who is traditionally our #1 rival? He says he hadn't talked to the Leafs at all until the days before, I call ******** on "Babcrock". I imagine he's planned this for months and as others have felt all season it did affect our team. **** him and the Leafs, I can't wait to stomp them at the first chance.

I'm not impressed the amount of tears he sheds over his supposed emotion leaving the DRW. My view of Babcock is forever changed. I am now so so glad he is out of here and wish Blashill 100% success and happiness.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Have any other Wings fans soured on Babcock a bit? I agree with the sentiments a friend relayed to me expressed by Illich, that he wasn't happy with the way Babcock ran his clown show. 1st of all in the heart of the SC playoffs, why not wait 3 weeks? The biggest criticism is the way he led Buffalo and Detroit on with his double-speak, what a fraud.

The day after he jumped ship with his silhouette surrounded by a blue Maple Leaf on their enormous backdrops...wow I thought what a traitor. Babcock mentions how proud he is to coach two original 6 teams, but moving on to who is traditionally our #1 rival? He says he hadn't talked to the Leafs at all until the days before, I call ******** on "Babcrock". I imagine he's planned this for months and as others have felt all season it did affect our team. **** him and the Leafs, I can't wait to stomp them at the first chance.

I'm not impressed the amount of tears he sheds over his supposed emotion leaving the DRW. My view of Babcock is forever changed. I am now so so glad he is out of here and wish Blashill 100% success and happiness.

I think he has left hints for several years. He has always said that it get's difficult when a coach has been for one place for so many years. Because they get to comfortable. Of course people are different, but I understand the guy.

First of all, what you call a clown-show, that is something the media is doing. It's not Babcock. He's only been doing what every other person would do in such a situation. Going on talks/interviews/whatever you wanna call it. I don't blame him. He's contract is up. Been here for ages. He can do whatever he wants with his life. He doesn't "owe" anyone anything. We can't demand anything.

I think he didn't have any real consideration for Toronto before he had that talk with the board and Shanahan. After that I could understand why he went there. If that talk hadn't happened, I think he would be the next Buffalo-coach.

I don't blame him for taking a job where you get paid more than 50% more than here. It's like CBC or ESPN giving a guy who works for TSN an offer of 150% money compared to the 100% money he has been offered and probably more of a say of his show. Who wouldn't strongly consider that? And, in 85-90% of the circumstances people would have said yes to that offer.

Last edited:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Yea it's not like babs threw a presser to announce his destination or anything. The media is the media. There was really nothing babs could of done differently to make it more low key. I dunno maybe if Toronto wasn't so pathetic I'd care more. But as it is they barely seem like a rival or anything.

Actual Thought*

He left for an additional 30 million dollars. I am not sure "traitor" is the right word. "Idiot" would be the right word if he stayed. I am sure if Blashill defied lottery odds and had "Babcock like" success he would leave for 30 million additional dollars too. Chances are we won't ever have to worry about that though. Most coaches never get a second job at all.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

paragraph 1: we get a 3rd round pick thanks to Babcock going now rather than later

paragraph 2: He owes us nothing. He gave us 10 years of nothing but his best efforts. We didn't all agree with every minute detail of his approach to coaching our team, but there is no one more dedicated to winning than Babs. Beating Toronto will be fun but you're taking this way too personally.

paragraph 3: Listen I was never really a massive Babcock fan myself but seeing him emotional and speaking so fondly and proudly about being a part of the Detroit Red Wings family for 10 great years and the relationships he has made with people within our organization was as legitimate as it gets. This team was his life for 10 years. There is nothing "supposed" about it. He left because it was time, not because he doesn't like our team/ players/ organization. There is literally no reason to be "sour" or wish him any ill will outside of looking forward to beating the Leafs the same way you love playing sports/ games against your siblings or friends. This guy worked to deliver us a cup and nearly got us there a second time. He wanted better players just like we did. I can't figure out why anyone would be mad at him.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I hope this all feeds the Toronto Buffalo rivalry. I wonder if Buffalo will feel more motivated to take it to Toronto now.

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
I hope this all feeds the Toronto Buffalo rivalry. I wonder if Buffalo will feel more motivated to take it to Toronto now.

Well, I wonder if Murray's flirtations with Bylsma, the guy who beat Babcock in game 7 of the SCF on his own ice, has a little bit 'middle finger' in it (however ancillary)

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Bit off topic, but I wonder if Babcock has inside information on who Detroit likes in the draft. He'd be a dick if he took that information back to Toronto.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Bit off topic, but I wonder if Babcock has inside information on who Detroit likes in the draft. He'd be a dick if he took that information back to Toronto.

I'm sure he has some expectations of whom Holland is looking at. That's the risk Holland took in letting him go.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Well, I wonder if Murray's flirtations with Bylsma, the guy who beat Babcock in game 7 of the SCF on his own ice, has a little bit 'middle finger' in it (however ancillary)

Not even a remote chance that this is a "middle finger" thing.

Babcock was clearly the big prize for coaching this season. Now that he is gone - it would be remiss of Murray to not interview as many viable candidates as possible. Bylsma happens to be among the next 2 or 3 candidates in line. That's all. No smoking gun.......

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
Not even a remote chance that this is a "middle finger" thing.

Babcock was clearly the bog prize for coaching this season. Now that he is gone - it would be remiss of Murray to not interview as many viable candidates as possible. Bylsma happens to be among the next 2 or 3 candidates in line. That's all. No smoking gun.......

I understand that Bylsma was likely to be a candidate no matter how Babcock played things out, and that vengeance isn't likely to factor into Murray's decision over who becomes Buffalo's next head coach, but the thought has probably crossed someone's mind (to the same end the guys on TSN radio were joking about the possibility of Buffalo bringing in Carlyle...)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...miliar-feeling-for-scotty-bowman-feschuk.html

“I never thought about money once in my life,” he said.
Well, maybe once or twice. Those who know Babcock will tell you that the man who is now the richest coach in the game has long considered NHL coaches underpaid compared to their counterparts in other pro sports.
“I know it was always in his craw. He used to tell me the Detroit Pistons coach was making twice as much as he did,” Scotty Bowman was saying here on Thursday. “He knows the work you have to put in to be a coach.”

“Detroit didn’t have the scoring. But Babcock designed a pretty good system,” Bowman said. “Detroit had a pretty air-tight defensive structure. Puck possession, not getting too far ahead of the play, not playing a careless game . . . They came very close in that series. I thought over the course of the series, they might have outplayed (Tampa). Even the seventh game.”

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Hakan doesn't reveal his top secret missons to people on a 1 year deal

were safe :)

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Hakan doesn't reveal his top secret missons to people on a 1 year deal

were safe :)

1 year deal of a guy who is strategizes how the team plays, who had 10 years of service with the team, and whom going into the season Holland was confident he could lock up?

Color me incredulous.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
1 year deal of a guy who is strategizes how the team plays, who had 10 years of service with the team, and whom going into the season Holland was confident he could lock up?

Color me incredulous.

It's likely irrelevant bexause believe it or not Toronto has their own scouting staff. Maybe Babcock will bring up some informatiom about later round picks, but at the same time it is not and was not nor was it ever Babcock's job to scout young talent in juniors, college, or overseas. His job is to coach people in the big leagues... To be honest I doubt Babcock cares enough to do his own scouting to actually evaluate these prospects becayse he has an entire scouting staff for that.

I believe his biggest influence will be influencing the type of players Toronto targets to fit into Babs' system. Toronto and Detroit's picks are too far apart in the first round and I find it unlikely Babs is going to be pushing for some obscure 3rd round or later pick because the Wimgs scouting staff liked them, part of signing that new contract of his was buying into and trusting the management and scouting staff.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
It's likely irrelevant bexause believe it or not Toronto has their own scouting staff. Maybe Babcock will bring up some informatiom about later round picks, but at the same time it is not and was not nor was it ever Babcock's job to scout young talent in juniors, college, or overseas. His job is to coach people in the big leagues... To be honest I doubt Babcock cares enough to do his own scouting to actually evaluate these prospects becayse he has an entire scouting staff for that.

I believe his biggest influence will be influencing the type of players Toronto targets to fit into Babs' system. Toronto and Detroit's picks are too far apart in the first round and I find it unlikely Babs is going to be pushing for some obscure 3rd round or later pick because the Wimgs scouting staff liked them, part of signing that new contract of his was buying into and trusting the management and scouting staff.

Considering that Babcock had to be driven to see the Griffins play and flown over to Prague just to see Larkin, I would agree with your assessment. I'm pretty sure Babcock's input into drafting was pretty much about traits and abilities. Other than that, he probably has zero information about AHL/NCAA/Junior hockey, aside from the highlights he catches every so often.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Color me incredulous.

Im gonna make this player play in my system that is about 7 Years away

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
If we're assuming Blashill is going to be the guy, who do we think he's going to tap as his assistants? Hiller is gone and Granato probably goes too. I haven't seen any speculation on this anywhere yet. Anyone have any thoughts or links?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad