OT: The Avalounge: Why'd we let this die for a month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
Finland is not in NATO? That's pretty surprising.

Our goverments have kissed so much Russian asses after WW2 that it isnt funny anymore and we still have lots of ole people from those eras in significant positions at every parties. Luckily attitudes towards NATO have changed a lot and i think that about 50% people are in favor of joining NATO nowadays.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Actually they were kinda in the process of applying for NATO and European Union membership:

On 21 February 2019, the Constitution of Ukraine was amended, the norms on the strategic course of Ukraine for membership in the European Union and NATO are enshrined in the preamble of the Basic Law, three articles and transitional provisions.

At the June 2021 Brussels Summit, NATO leaders reiterated the decision taken at the 2008 Bucharest Summit that Ukraine would become a member of the Alliance with the Membership Action Plan (MAP) as an integral part of the process and Ukraine's right to determine its own future and foreign policy, of course without outside interference. NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg also stressed that Russia will not be able to veto Ukraine's accession to NATO, as we will not return to the era of spheres of interest, when large countries decide what smaller ones should do.

Ukraine–NATO relations - Wikipedia

I stand corrected. But even then, I think if they actually were on their way to becoming full fledged NATO members then Russia would step in and do something.

What a time for Angela Merkel not to be in charge...

I don't think that's a coincidence either.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

wtf Germany

Germany is the lynchpin for the West’s efforts. Without Germany on board, the West as a whole can’t do much. Germany is way too reliant on Russian gas. Sadly that’ll matter more than what Ukraine will go through.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
They are a brutal gaming experience. I wouldn't say I'm great at video games, but I'm not bad either. I've never has my ass kicked more than I have in Souls games. Seems Elden Ring will be even worse. They are incredibly satisfying when you get them right.

This. Elder Ring seems RIGHT up my alley (at least cinematically, open world, etc.) yet I'm very concerned I'll lose interest with how difficult it is, especially having never played any of the other 'Souls' games. It's a bit discouraging and I'd call myself a pretty good, frequent gamer.

I also want to try Sekiro but am skeptical for the same reasons.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This. Elder Ring seems RIGHT up my alley (at least cinematically, open world, etc.) yet I'm very concerned I'll lose interest with how difficult it is, especially having never played any of the other 'Souls' games. It's a bit discouraging and I'd call myself a pretty good, frequent gamer.

I also want to try Sekiro but am skeptical for the same reasons.
They are great games, but you’ll get your ass kicked.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Russia would never touch Finland, or if they did they're crazier than I thought. They've tried it multiple times and each time got their asses handed to them, the Fins are little frozen honey badgers.

I think (which isn't saying much) that Putin's main objective is to get in, purge their government, put in some pro Russian figureheads and ensure that he has that buffer between Russia and western Europe. But even then, it'll be a never ending war in Ukraine while bleeding Russia dry via sanctions.

The ironic thing is that by invading other countries he's just reaffirming and reinvigorating the importance of his arch rival NATO.
Looks like Ukraine, albeit early are fairing decently too. Also reports of internal military personnel feelings are mixed on why this war is happening. Russian troops also abandoning positions and equipment when fights start.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Quote from Putin addressing Russia's business leaders today:

"What I wanted to say first – the most important thing, so you all understand – what is going on was a necessary measure. They didn’t leave us any chance to act otherwise. They created such risks in the sphere of security that it was impossible to react in a different way. All our efforts came out to zero. […] They created such risks that it’s difficult to comprehend how our country could have continued to exist."

Reading between the lines here but basically Putin believes that Russia wouldn't survive as a country if Ukraine joined NATO. So he thinks that the tremendous economic consequences of this invasion are still better than Russia falling.

The end justifies the means.
Have to wonder how much bank the oligarchs are willing to lose over this.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Not this desperate

abbY0NX_460s.jpg

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Despite Ukraine not being a realistic member of the NATO for many years, if ever.. Putin's losing his mind.
Nah, he hasn’t lost any mind. He’s just trying to rebuild the Soviet Union. Don’t think he can rebuild all of it, but will do as much as he can. Stalin still has a 70% favourable view from Russians in the modern time based on polls and he’s ex-KGB (it makes sense why his views are what they are). He also has gone back to many soviet traditions in the military since his time in office.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Nah, he hasn’t lost any mind. He’s just trying to rebuild the Soviet Union. Don’t think he can rebuild all of it, but will do as much as he can. Stalin still has a 70% favourable view from Russians in the modern time based on polls and he’s ex-KGB (it makes sense why his views are what they are). He also has gone back to many soviet traditions in the military since his time in office.

Which is insane lol

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Which is insane lol
Touche mate! I forgot where I heard this, but I was listening to a random podcast one time with a ex-communist government member who defected from the KGB/Soviet Union. He was mentioning that the Communist party didn't mind falling in the early 1990s because they already had plans to rebuild the empire at a later stage. Now I am not saying this is what is happening now, but at the same time it's looking pretty dang accurate if we've seen what has happened to Russia in the last twenty years.

Would you try and invade the land of @UncleRisto, @Murzu, @Arto Kilponen and @avgard?
yoshi-funny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad