OT: The Avalounge: The Young and the Restless and Bubba

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Anyone here read Ready Player One?

Fun book. Just picked it up yesterday but already finished it. Quick and easy read.

I've got way to much time on my hand when I'm in between jobs.

giphy.gif

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Sooooo Overwatch is a blast. First game in a while where you can blatantly tell that the devs focused solely on art direction and, most importantly, fun factor.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Thanks Tiger.

I'm only there for 2 days so, I doubt I'll do everything I want but both the sears tower and Bean thingy are close to where I'll be so, hopefully I can check them out.

How about shopping? Are they good places to get things at a discount?

Chicago is a BIG city, so don't expect anything to be cheap or discounts on anything. Normally the bigger cities have inflated salaries to match the inflation of the sale price on the products. So everything is going to seem expensive for you, but in reality is the market value within the city limits. Especially in a city that has a huge financial district as Chicago has.

Check out the food, Chicago has some of the best food for a city not on the West or East side. Also, definitely go to their art museum, it is one of the best and most famous in the country. There is also probably a lot of mobster history if you're in that sort of thing as well.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Chicago is a BIG city, so don't expect anything to be cheap or discounts on anything. Normally the bigger cities have inflated salaries to match the inflation of the sale price on the products. So everything is going to seem expensive for you, but in reality is the market value within the city limits. Especially in a city that has a huge financial district as Chicago has.

Check out the food, Chicago has some of the best food for a city not on the West or East side. Also, definitely go to their art museum, it is one of the best and most famous in the country. There is also probably a lot of mobster history if you're in that sort of thing as well.

That's true but I thought I read something where in here in Canada everything is much more expensive compared to the states? I could be wrong.

The mobster history sounds intriguing. Thanks.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That's true but I thought I read something where in here in Canada everything is much more expensive compared to the states? I could be wrong.

The mobster history sounds intriguing. Thanks.

I guess I've heard like brand name stuff, in particular clothing is marked up in Canada? But yeah, Chicago + the exchange rate isn't going to do much to help that. If you like a certain brand, check it out in the mall, there always are sales at least. June is a big sale month in the US anyway.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Just bought a $4000 mattress. If you told me I'd ever do that two years ago I'd laugh my ass off but when I thought about it I figured it's a wise investment. I'm a 24 year old with serious back issues. You spend a third of your life in bed and I would easily blow that amount of money in booze, eating out and golfing in a couple of months so I'm making a lifestyle change :laugh:

Less blowing money on stupid things and more time enjoying our lovely new house :)

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
I was in Chicago about 2 months ago just for 1 day, definately go to the Bean, we went to the Zoo, also the big 360 Chicago tower not sure what it's called and they have this cool thing on the top floor called the Tilt where the glass moves you out of the building looking down in the city. Scary/fun haha. We ended up walking about 10 miles that, which I definately do not recommend unless you have some good shoes. :laugh:

Advice needed: So I'm in my early 20s working a part time job while going to college, and I work weekends with this girl who is much older than me (like 15 yrs) and she tells me so much about her personal life and stuff I do not care about and I should not be even know about, also tries to talk about stuff that is just disgusting and NSFW. I always give off vibes to stop but she clearly doesn't get it that I do not care. My girlfriend always teases me saying she likes me but I refuse to believe that and it's just gross. Now she just started talking trash about my girlfriends brother and that just crossed the line. What's the best way to tell her to **** off without making a hostile work environment?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Just bought a $4000 mattress. If you told me I'd ever do that two years ago I'd laugh my ass off but when I thought about it I figured it's a wise investment. I'm a 24 year old with serious back issues. You spend a third of your life in bed and I would easily blow that amount of money in booze, eating out and golfing in a couple of months so I'm making a lifestyle change :laugh:

Less blowing money on stupid things and more time enjoying our lovely new house :)

I just bought a house and have been filling it out too.

Though I bought a $1400 mattress and thought that was a lot, haha. I got one of those hybrids, part memory foam part coil. Really comfortable to be honest.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I was in Chicago about 2 months ago just for 1 day, definately go to the Bean, we went to the Zoo, also the big 360 Chicago tower not sure what it's called and they have this cool thing on the top floor called the Tilt where the glass moves you out of the building looking down in the city. Scary/fun haha. We ended up walking about 10 miles that, which I definately do not recommend unless you have some good shoes. :laugh:

Advice needed: So I'm in my early 20s working a part time job while going to college, and I work weekends with this girl who is much older than me (like 15 yrs) and she tells me so much about her personal life and stuff I do not care about and I should not be even know about, also tries to talk about stuff that is just disgusting and NSFW. I always give off vibes to stop but she clearly doesn't get it that I do not care. My girlfriend always teases me saying she likes me but I refuse to believe that and it's just gross. Now she just started talking trash about my girlfriends brother and that just crossed the line. What's the best way to tell her to **** off without making a hostile work environment?

much older :cry:

But seriously, she is pretty much using you to vent I think. Just tell her you want to focus on work, I think that's blunt enough without being insulting.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Congrats on the new houses, gents. I'm at the point where I'm realizing the crap in my house is 10 years old now and I should get rid of all of it. :laugh: The day will come where you have to replace things.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
much older :cry:

But seriously, she is pretty much using you to vent I think. Just tell her you want to focus on work, I think that's blunt enough without being insulting.

Thanks TV!! Hahaha sorry I didn't mean anything by it I just wanted to justify the age range difference!

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Of course I figured that HFAvs would be the best place to ask, you know of course since all Avs fans have the same problems to deal with. :sarcasm:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I just bought a house and have been filling it out too.

Though I bought a $1400 mattress and thought that was a lot, haha. I got one of those hybrids, part memory foam part coil. Really comfortable to be honest.

Not easy is it? Haha

Now I know the guy at the furniture store. He told me that he expects the same mattress to go 40% off in the next month or so and if it does he will refund me the difference and if it doesn't go on sale he said he will be able to give me like $1000 store credit as a rebate. We need some other **** anyway just to fill the house so we figured either way it's a good deal. Plus the mattress is insanely comfortable lol.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Back issues at 24, is that from a sports/work injury? Either way, that's rough.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
not right now - you may want to check exchange rates between CAD and USD

I guess I've heard like brand name stuff, in particular clothing is marked up in Canada? But yeah, Chicago + the exchange rate isn't going to do much to help that. If you like a certain brand, check it out in the mall, there always are sales at least. June is a big sale month in the US anyway.

Thanks for the info yall.

I'm 50/50 on the Zoo, deciding on that or the Aquarium which is closer to soldier field. I've been to a Zoo before and I feel like, once you've been to one you've been to all or I'm I totally of base? Aquariums I've never been too so, not sure what to expect there.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
There how I feel about zoos, it's something to do but not a must see. The aquarium would be a better choice. They are neat especially if you haven't been. As long as it's a big one, which I'm sure it is.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Back issues at 24, is that from a sports/work injury? Either way, that's rough.

Weightlifting is The main cause. I suffer from sciatica and bulged disks. I was actually doing well for about 6 months until we bought a house and I started doing yard work and all that crap.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
First time I ever went to a zoo was in Denver. I actually had more fun than I expected as I'm not a big animal person. I was very disappointed by penguins though. My entire life I only saw penguins either in cartoons or in national geographic videos when they're only surrounded by other penguins. I thought they were like 5 feet tall. My girlfriend screams oh my god look at the penguins. I look and see all these knee high birds running around and say "where's their dad?"

Fun nonetheless :laugh:

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I think Zoos are amazing. People should make a point to visit one every so often. You forget that so many wonderful creatures exist in our world.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
First time I ever went to a zoo was in Denver. I actually had more fun than I expected as I'm not a big animal person. I was very disappointed by penguins though. My entire life I only saw penguins either in cartoons or in national geographic videos when they're only surrounded by other penguins. I thought they were like 5 feet tall. My girlfriend screams oh my god look at the penguins. I look and see all these knee high birds running around and say "where's their dad?"

Fun nonetheless :laugh:

You need go see an emporer penguin, I think those are much bigger lol

I'm not saying zoos aren't interesting but if you are in a city for 2-3 days would you spend one at the zoo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad