OT: The Avalounge: The Place To Gather To Discuss Things Not Related To Hockey Or Soccer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Wait, what?
Yeah, I was looking at google images and wondering why Stuckey's name was at the top....she used to be a Pistons' dancer and they had a child together.

I'm changing my Facebook cover photo because Olver is no longer in the NHL. What should I change it to?

078162D9-79F6-4568-8A60-7BF81A2AA018.png

:naughty:

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
That's ridiculous. Which dealership was this?

Elway Chevrolet. Funny thing is my parents bought their last car at the exact same dealership and the one before that at an Elway dealership. I now have to look out of state and bring it back to Colorado. Why must prices for small awd vehicles be so inflated in Colorado? Before anyone says get a Subaru, quite frankly they stink and cost a ton used for what you get. Also they seats stink which is extra bad since when I go home I often drive my father who has had too many back operations to count.

member 116861

Elway Chevrolet. Funny thing is my parents bought their last car at the exact same dealership and the one before that at an Elway dealership. I now have to look out of state and bring it back to Colorado. Why must prices for small awd vehicles be so inflated in Colorado? Before anyone says get a Subaru, quite frankly they stink and cost a ton used for what you get. Also they seats stink which is extra bad since when I go home I often drive my father who has had too many back operations to count.

But they have like a thousand dealerships across Colorado.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
In other news, my news feed just popped up "Obama warns will not 'stand still,' ready to bypass Congress".

Sigh. So I went and searched for more instances of this.

A couple days ago an article on his use of Executive power to legalize illegal immigrants.

Last year he said he would bypass Congress on gun control of semi-automatic firearms.

Last year on the debt ceiling.

Three years ago by removing No Child Left Behind.

Four years ago with Carbon Dioxide output taxes.

When did this become common for Presidents to overrule the government and do what they wanted? It's supposed to be a checks and balances system, Congress passes laws through the Senate and House, President approves of them. No one component of that system is supposed to be significantly more powerful than the other.

I just don't understand why it is legal to do things like that.

a_560x0.png

Obama has toned down the expansive powers of the imperial and unitary presidency of his predecessors.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
When did this become common for Presidents to overrule the government and do what they wanted? It's supposed to be a checks and balances system, Congress passes laws through the Senate and House, President approves of them. No one component of that system is supposed to be significantly more powerful than the other.

I just don't understand why it is legal to do things like that.

Lobbyists and corporations have been running the country for years. While I am not exactly a proponent of Obama, I feel like the Presidency has lost an immense amount of power due to the money funneling into legislation. Whether I agree with what Obama will eventually passe or not pass, some action sounds good to me rather than the ultimate stalemate we've been in.

What really needs to happen I believe is that the PACs just need to go away. Campaign contributions need to be limited. Congress should not be held exempt from insider trading rules. And get rid of the line item veto.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Lobbyists and corporations have been running the country for years. While I am not exactly a proponent of Obama, I feel like the Presidency has lost an immense amount of power due to the money funneling into legislation. Whether I agree with what Obama will eventually passe or not pass, some action sounds good to me rather than the ultimate stalemate we've been in.

What really needs to happen I believe is that the PACs just need to go away. Campaign contributions need to be limited. Congress should not be held exempt from insider trading rules. And get rid of the line item veto.

One of the issues I've really started to become passionate about is small dollar funded elections. I've always felt that the best way to fix the American political system is by increasing the electability of third party candidates, and the first step to doing this is by going to small dollar or publicly funded elections.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Dudes a Black Moon Rising tomorrow, broz.

One of the issues I've really started to become passionate about is small dollar funded elections. I've always felt that the best way to fix the American political system is by increasing the electability of third party candidates, and the first step to doing this is by going to small dollar or publicly funded elections.

Hahaha, a salary cap for politicians? Love it!!!!

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Dudes a Black Moon Rising tomorrow, broz.

Hahaha, a salary cap for politicians? Love it!!!!

Salary caps on politicians..that's something I could get behind. I'd also move to put them in barrack style lodging accommodations while Congress is in session. No reason for them to live better than the men and women serving our nation in uniform.

It'll never happen though because barring Levin's idea of the states invoking Article V and calling for a Constitutional Convention any changes would have to be enacted by Congress...I simply can not think of any time in history where a sitting power has acted to reduce its own power. Getting 2/3 of the states to agree to do this seems far-fetched because once a Convention is called, you never know what kinda mess you'd open. I honestly believe the US is on a downward spiral and there is nothing anyone can do but sit back and watch the train-wreck and enjoy the fireworks at this point.

Kinda sad actually, but that's what happens with a two-party system. It becomes so partisan that it kills itself due to an inability to work together. Hell, although I'm conservative by nature (libertarian at heart but don't get me started on their train wreck ideals of foreign policy which makes me vote in Republican primaries) I'll be the first to admit the Republicans eat their own as evident in the last primary when Hermain Cain started getting traction with an idea of simplifying the tax structure.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Fans of The Shermanator's poor gym etiquette picture would enjoy BroScience on youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad