OT: The Avalounge: The Place To Gather To Discuss Things Not Related To Hockey Or Soccer

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 116861

Why did you take "The Avalounge" out from the title?

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
I finally gave in and signed up for GCL... but it doesn't work.

The charge is on my credit card and everything but it still says I have to upgrade on nhl.com.

:help: :help: :help:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Won my first game of the season coaching, 7-3. Pretty sure I didn't run the kids hard enough during practices, they were sucking wind halfway through the game despite having 2.5 lines and the other team having only 2 subs in total.

Was good to see everything come together though.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Won my first game of the season coaching, 7-3. Pretty sure I didn't run the kids hard enough during practices, they were sucking wind halfway through the game despite having 2.5 lines and the other team having only 2 subs in total.

Was good to see everything come together though.
Yeah yeah, but were there any obnoxious parents? Those are the best things about young kids' sports :sarcasm:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Thanks. I coach my brother's team, so afterwards our mother comes around and tells me what the other parents say since I'm always curious how they feel with their kids being coached by a college student.

Apparently most of them love playing for me. The goalie's parents said that he spends an hour a day practicing what I told him to do (some hand-eye and reflex drills) and repeating to himself "Stick Down, Glove Up, Move Your Feet". Kid played good last night for us, the older coaches never taught him how to play goalie he said. Which is prolly true, most of the older coaches are more concerned about how their own kids play than helping the team.

Yeah yeah, but were there any obnoxious parents? Those are the best things about young kids' sports :sarcasm:

Nope. I've had them before, especially when I've been forced to be an assistant. The guy I had to assist a couple years ago was a real moron, put his kid out for 3-4 minute shifts until we got penalized for it and he had no idea how to instill a team game. He also didn't have a medic kit... someone got hurt and I had to help them.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
That's awesome LW, I love coaching but never had a chance to do it in hockey. You're one lucky guy.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
That's awesome LW, I love coaching but never had a chance to do it in hockey. You're one lucky guy.

I had to fight tooth and nail, was an assistant for 3 years and pulled summer duty in the league so the adults knew I was reliable. Then I called in some favors last year and they approved me to be a head coach.

I'll tell you one thing, it is a very rewarding thing. If you're interested, try your local rec league. I've had employers that actually donated my hours spent coaching in salary 1:1, so the league benefits sometimes even beyond the free coaching you provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad