OT: The Avalounge: Steamed Hams, despite the fact they are obviously grilled

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Also, it'd be nice if we could have a Star Wars movie or book that didn't center around a stupid "superweapon." The best SW film of all time AINEC didn't even feature one (unless you count that Super Star Destroyer as one, and I don't).
I thought all the Star Wars books center around Naboos taxation and foreign policy.

Reactions: Pokecheque

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Deus ex machina masterpiece with a ton of Mary Sue thrown in on top of that. It makes more sense when you watch the third one to get why Rey was a Mary Sue, but in the end they messed her up in the first movie where Luke should've duelled Kylo.
I mean, when you get right down to it, Luke Skywalker is a Mary Sue to a T. He's a kid who grew up in the space version of Bumblef***, Nebraska, but somehow he's the best pilot ever, and learns to be a Jedi after a few hours with Obi-Wan and maybe a week tops on Dagobah, something that Old Republic Jedi spent decades studying. And not only did he become a Jedi after that slapdash training, he was powerful enough to stand up to the most dangerous Sith Lord of all time.

So if I don't have a problem with THAT, it's hard for me to be critical of Rey as a character given that there's ample precedent for Space Wizards to be really good at everything right away.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I mean, when you get right down to it, Luke Skywalker is a Mary Sue to a T. He's a kid who grew up in the space version of Bumble****, Nebraska, but somehow he's the best pilot ever, and learns to be a Jedi after a few hours with Obi-Wan and maybe a week tops on Dagobah, something that Old Republic Jedi spent decades studying. And not only did he become a Jedi after that slapdash training, he was powerful enough to stand up to the most dangerous Sith Lord of all time.

So if I don't have a problem with THAT, it's hard for me to be critical of Rey as a character given that there's ample precedent for Space Wizards to be really good at everything right away.

Precisely, the term “Mary Sue” is loaded because there have been plenty of male Mary Sues. Swap out Batman’s gender and everyone would be screaming MARY SUE!

Rey’s issue isn’t not her power level or anything else, it’s that they never really had a firm grasp of her character. Daisy Ridley did a remarkable job considering this.

Reactions: McMetal

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I thought all the Star Wars books center around Naboos taxation and foreign policy.

Don’t remind me that after all the video games and what not that suggested the Emperor came from some dark, dreary, Mordor-like region of space, we learn he’s from some weenie-ass planet with goofy fish people.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Precisely, the term “Mary Sue” is loaded because there have been plenty of male Mary Sues. Swap out Batman’s gender and everyone would be screaming MARY SUE!

Rey’s issue isn’t not her power level or anything else, it’s that they never really had a firm grasp of her character. Daisy Ridley did a remarkable job considering this.
I agree with that last part. They were kind of going for "orphan searching for meaning and identity", but aside from giving her the backstory to set that up I feel like they didn't spend enough time developing that. I think they made the mistake of assuming the backstory was enough to set that up for the entire trilogy and only gave it some cursory glossovers. It could have been a really good avenue for character development that I think they whiffed on.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I mean, when you get right down to it, Luke Skywalker is a Mary Sue to a T. He's a kid who grew up in the space version of Bumble****, Nebraska, but somehow he's the best pilot ever, and learns to be a Jedi after a few hours with Obi-Wan and maybe a week tops on Dagobah, something that Old Republic Jedi spent decades studying. And not only did he become a Jedi after that slapdash training, he was powerful enough to stand up to the most dangerous Sith Lord of all time.

But Luke lost every fight to Vader except the last one where even Luke himself says Vader isn't actually trying to kill him. Then proceeds to get almost electrocuted to death by Palpatine. Luke literally went into that fight armed with the love of his father. It was also meant to be closer to 6 month training with Yoda, but Lucas forgot his own lore and the distance between Hoth and Cloud city on a sub-light speed space drive.

They did make him a very good pilot with no training though.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Got a question for the Colorado locals. How difficult is it to get playoff tickets, and how much for like mid level tickets?

I know it's kind of a new thing lmao.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Got a question for the Colorado locals. How difficult is it to get playoff tickets, and how much for like mid level tickets?

I have season tix so it wasn’t hard for me, but I remember seeing a good chunk of seats for sale on flash seats. So from what I remember it was easy but not cheap, which isn’t a huge surprise.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

Not too difficult for me the last two years, but it is pricey. The cheap seats started at $80 and went up from there unless you did one of the season ticket deals where you can buy a whole round at a time.

This year though... They've switched to Ticketmaster, so prices are through the roof for regular season games thanks to their outrageous fees. No doubt playoff tickets will be extortion as well, I'm expecting 40-50% "convenience fees" on top of every seat. They even charge fees for tickets you buy on their secondary market. f*** that company forever, seriously.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Not too difficult for me the last two years, but it is pricey. The cheap seats started at $80 and went up from there unless you did one of the season ticket deals where you can buy a whole round at a time.

This year though... They've switched to Ticketmaster, so prices are through the roof for regular season games thanks to their outrageous fees. No doubt playoff tickets will be extortion as well, I'm expecting 40-50% "convenience fees" on top of every seat. They even charge fees for tickets you buy on their secondary market. **** that company forever, seriously.

In Tampa my 80$ (STM price) mid level club seats went to like 110$ for the playoffs. The secondary market was about 200 to 250$ for the same section.

So I have a little bit of understanding on how all of that works.

I mean for flying out, and everything for one or two games and making a trip of it. It could be worth it even at that price.

Thanks, I was wondering how available mid range seats would be and what the inflation would be like on the secondary market.

I got to live there a few years (07t11), but am trying to setup a reunion of sorts with a childhood friend that got me into hockey and the Avs. He never has been to a game in person to this day.

So I'm tossing between trying to go to the AA game, or hit the beginning of the playoffs. He does not like the idea of pissing off the wife and missing valentine's day though lol. My gF is cool with it though, and knows the back story.

Any advice anyone has is welcome.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
@S E P H

Dream Theater Setlist at Movistar Arena, Santiago

DT has been playing this setlist in South America this December. Finland shows are in January. Since apparently Metropolis I and Pull Me Under are too much to ask for, I'll definitely take this mix.

We'll see if they switch up the first act or not, but A Nightmare to Remember and In the Presence of Enemies, along with all the other stuff.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Let's start with the good....

My wife and I saw the new Star Wars movie. I'm not sure what people are expecting out of these...They are at their heart some corn-gold, feel good movies that are throw-backs to the past. I mean, even George Lucas said as much about the original Star Wars.

I found it enjoyable. But here is the key....When I walk into any sci-fy movie, I put my reality down and just enjoy the ride. I don't watch movies like a critic, because to be honest, I feel critics have lost the ability to have fun. They want so hard to find a perfect movie, that they simply have become immune to the idea of enjoying something for what it is. They are always wanting it to fit some small shoe-horn of what they believe a perfect movie should be. They've completely left earth on this and are simply denying themselves of some simple pleasures.

Was this a perfect movie (not sure what that actually means)...probably not. Did it actually feel like a Star Wars movie....yes! How many times will I watch this...well, the last movie I saw twice in a theater was Guardians of the Galaxy...I'm not sure this will do the trick. I saw it with my wife for the first time, so I'm not sure why we should pay $20 a piece to see it again in a theater. I will buy it when it comes out on streaming and will watch it again, but in the comfort of my own house.

That being said...I watched NetFlix's masterpiece "The Irishman" on Netflix as well. I thought it was great, but I will not spend another three hours to watch it again.

My rating for Star Wars....If you actually like Star Wars...go watch it and have some good pop-corn fun. If you are a critic who likes to poo-poo everything that doesn't make some big statement....stay far, far away.

Now to the not so good. Had my first appointment with an oncologist today (er...yesterday, it's now 2:50am)....my cancer is classified as stage 4. Big up-hill battle and to be honest, I don't think cancer truly understood who it picked a fight with. This might have been the worst decision it ever made. There is no way I'm not going to go down slinging. My wife is more broke up than I am about this diagnosis. I'm not a praying kinda guy....I left the church in my teens and have never seen a reason to go back. I do believe in the power of positive thoughts though...simply because I think good attitudes are key to developing success. So if y'all feel so inclined, I'm sure my wife could use any good thoughts you have. I wouldn't hate them, but I've already got a fighters disposition, so I'd say don't waste them on me...give them to her. She needs them more than me.

At some point, we'll have to re-evaluate how I'm reacting to treatment and while I remain determined to beat this shit, I'm worried of the toll it will take on her if I can't. When that point comes, I'm going to have to spend an extraordinary amount of time and effort in trying to teach her how to live without me...how she should move on and if at all possible, find love once again. We are only in our 40s. She's going to have a long, long time left and I really don't want her being stuck in time if this comes to pass.

I'm sorry this seems so heavy. Please, feel free to ignore me if it brings you trouble. Some times, I just need an outlet to type what is going on in my head and I would appreciate feedback. This is uncharted territory for me.

I kinda feel like I shouldn't even be bringing this up in this webforum and maybe I should go to one that is geared towards folks with cancer....but f*** it...I really don't want to be defined by this. I'm not just some dude with cancer. I'm a hockey nut who loves the Avs, music and movies.

Let me know though, because I will certainly cool it if these types of posts brings y'all down. I am capable of keeping these two sides separate and able to stick to hockey and humor only here if that is best.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
My favorite thing about TROS was that it was a giant middle finger to Rian Johnson and his garbage-ass film. The movie should've been called "Star Wars: JJ Does Damage Control".

I found that to be annoying as hell. If they didn't want Johnson to do his own thing then they should've had someone else write the screenplay. They gave Rian Johnson carte blanche to do whatever he wanted, he did so, and then they suddenly backtracked. Left everything even more incoherent than it was before. Again, we were left with half-characters because they were jerked in wildly different directions over the course of three films, and as a result I just didn't care about them a ton. The one very poignant scene in the film involves Adam Driver (I'll avoid giving any further details but I think everyone who has seen it knows exactly which one I'm talking about) who might very well be the finest actor to ever play a major role in a Star Wars film. Part of me wishes the prequels had gotten delayed until now and they cast Driver as Anakin Skywalker. He would've taken those films and ran with them, making them at least 25% better than they were.

The original trilogy was directed by three different guys, but George Lucas and Lawrence Kasdan wrote all three screenplays. Not sure why Kennedy, Abrams, & Co. decided against doing that.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I found that to be annoying as hell. If they didn't want Johnson to do his own thing then they should've had someone else write the screenplay. They gave Rian Johnson carte blanche to do whatever he wanted, he did so, and then they suddenly backtracked. Left everything even more incoherent than it was before. Again, we were left with half-characters because they were jerked in wildly different directions over the course of three films, and as a result I just didn't care about them a ton. The one very poignant scene in the film involves Adam Driver (I'll avoid giving any further details but I think everyone who has seen it knows exactly which one I'm talking about) who might very well be the finest actor to ever play a major role in a Star Wars film. Part of me wishes the prequels had gotten delayed until now and they cast Driver as Anakin Skywalker. He would've taken those films and ran with them, making them at least 25% better than they were.

The original trilogy was directed by three different guys, but George Lucas and Lawrence Kasdan wrote all three screenplays. Not sure why Kennedy, Abrams, & Co. decided against doing that.
1,000% agreed. I don't understand why they ever envisioned having three different directors make and write the trilogy (Tevorrow was supposed to direct the third one). It should have been one guy from the beginning. Whether it was Abrams or Johnson or whoever, it would have benefitted so much from one overarching vision for what it was going to be and say.

Especially because Johnson had such a different approach from Abrams. Johnson spent TLJ challenging our preconceptions about heroism and subverting expectations. The meta-theme of "let the past die" was a reflection of his desire to step outside of what Star Wars had been and bring it to new and unexpected places. Which is why critics mostly loved it, and fans were very divided.

Abrams, on the other hand, realized that, for better or worse, fans love Star Wars because of what it is, not what it could be. The original movies were just a retelling of the monomyth in space. Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey beat for beat filled with classic archetypes and, essentially, very old ideas about storytelling. That's why it worked and why it continues to resonate. Yeah, Abrams got a lot of heat for recycling ideas and themes from the original trilogy, but in the end, that's what people WANTED. Maybe spinoff projects like The Mandalorian can be free to riff on the central themes and explore new ground within that universe, but the big tent movies needed to be familiar and comfortable, because the source material was familiar and comfortable.

That's why the movies feel so jarringly disconnected from each other. I honestly think Rian Johnson, if given the reins for all three movies, could have created something amazing. As it is though, the trilogy was a big missed opportunity for Disney to make a thematically consistent follow up.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

My wife and I saw the new Star Wars movie. I'm not sure what people are expecting out of these...They are at their heart some corn-gold, feel good movies that are throw-backs to the past. I mean, even George Lucas said as much about the original Star Wars.

I found it enjoyable. But here is the key....When I walk into any sci-fy movie, I put my reality down and just enjoy the ride. I don't watch movies like a critic, because to be honest, I feel critics have lost the ability to have fun. They want so hard to find a perfect movie, that they simply have become immune to the idea of enjoying something for what it is. They are always wanting it to fit some small shoe-horn of what they believe a perfect movie should be. They've completely left earth on this and are simply denying themselves of some simple pleasures.

Was this a perfect movie (not sure what that actually means)...probably not. Did it actually feel like a Star Wars movie....yes! How many times will I watch this...well, the last movie I saw twice in a theater was Guardians of the Galaxy...I'm not sure this will do the trick. I saw it with my wife for the first time, so I'm not sure why we should pay $20 a piece to see it again in a theater. I will buy it when it comes out on streaming and will watch it again, but in the comfort of my own house.

That being said...I watched NetFlix's masterpiece "The Irishman" on Netflix as well. I thought it was great, but I will not spend another three hours to watch it again.

My rating for Star Wars....If you actually like Star Wars...go watch it and have some good pop-corn fun. If you are a critic who likes to poo-poo everything that doesn't make some big statement....stay far, far away.

Now to the not so good. Had my first appointment with an oncologist today (er...yesterday, it's now 2:50am)....my cancer is classified as stage 4. Big up-hill battle and to be honest, I don't think cancer truly understood who it picked a fight with. This might have been the worst decision it ever made. There is no way I'm not going to go down slinging. My wife is more broke up than I am about this diagnosis. I'm not a praying kinda guy....I left the church in my teens and have never seen a reason to go back. I do believe in the power of positive thoughts though...simply because I think good attitudes are key to developing success. So if y'all feel so inclined, I'm sure my wife could use any good thoughts you have. I wouldn't hate them, but I've already got a fighters disposition, so I'd say don't waste them on me...give them to her. She needs them more than me.

At some point, we'll have to re-evaluate how I'm reacting to treatment and while I remain determined to beat this ****, I'm worried of the toll it will take on her if I can't. When that point comes, I'm going to have to spend an extraordinary amount of time and effort in trying to teach her how to live without me...how she should move on and if at all possible, find love once again. We are only in our 40s. She's going to have a long, long time left and I really don't want her being stuck in time if this comes to pass.

I'm sorry this seems so heavy. Please, feel free to ignore me if it brings you trouble. Some times, I just need an outlet to type what is going on in my head and I would appreciate feedback. This is uncharted territory for me.

I kinda feel like I shouldn't even be bringing this up in this webforum and maybe I should go to one that is geared towards folks with cancer....but **** it...I really don't want to be defined by this. I'm not just some dude with cancer. I'm a hockey nut who loves the Avs, music and movies.

Let me know though, because I will certainly cool it if these types of posts brings y'all down. I am capable of keeping these two sides separate and able to stick to hockey and humor only here if that is best.

Don't ever feel guilty about sharing this kind of stuff with us. If talking about it, even to people online who you don't even know that well helps ease the burden even the tiniest bit then you f***ing do it.

Hang in there dude. Keep fighting. We still need you here.

Also, I don't think anyone should necessarily be obligated to donate but if you have a GoFundMe established, let us know.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

At some point, we'll have to re-evaluate how I'm reacting to treatment and while I remain determined to beat this ****, I'm worried of the toll it will take on her if I can't. When that point comes, I'm going to have to spend an extraordinary amount of time and effort in trying to teach her how to live without me...how she should move on and if at all possible, find love once again. We are only in our 40s. She's going to have a long, long time left and I really don't want her being stuck in time if this comes to pass.

I kinda feel like I shouldn't even be bringing this up in this webforum and maybe I should go to one that is geared towards folks with cancer....but **** it...I really don't want to be defined by this. I'm not just some dude with cancer. I'm a hockey nut who loves the Avs, music and movies.

Yeah, this a community. Some of us have invested years and years into to date. I don't think there is anything out of bounds at this point. I mean, even me and @Pokecheque can get along here.

People put up with my drunk rants, so we've already tested if this place is appropriate for rants of all sorts.

Fight the good fight man

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
@S E P H

Dream Theater Setlist at Movistar Arena, Santiago

DT has been playing this setlist in South America this December. Finland shows are in January. Since apparently Metropolis I and Pull Me Under are too much to ask for, I'll definitely take this mix.

We'll see if they switch up the first act or not, but A Nightmare to Remember and In the Presence of Enemies, along with all the other stuff.
Yeah Act I looks a bit lacklustre even though they’re playing A Nightmare to Remember and Presence if Enemies. Act II is where it is at, Beyond This Life is good enough to worthy of admission IMO. I haven’t seen what they do with this new drummer, but that is one of the best songs live...that and Under a Glass Moon.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Don't ever feel guilty about sharing this kind of stuff with us. If talking about it, even to people online who you don't even know that well helps ease the burden even the tiniest bit then you ****ing do it.

Hang in there dude. Keep fighting. We still need you here.

Also, I don't think anyone should necessarily be obligated to donate but if you have a GoFundMe established, let us know.

Ecccchhhh...don't like how I phrased that last sentence at all. I should've just said "If you have a GoFundMe, feel free to post it, and if any of us can help, we will."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad