OT: The Avalounge: Steamed Hams, despite the fact they are obviously grilled

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Under the old board we used to, but we don't seem to have the same tools...and honestly I'm glad because that stuff should only be accessible by the Admins and such (as a safeguard to keep regular and Global Mods from being accused of/engaging in targeting, etc).

I'll send some stuff up the channels. I know there was a miscommunication between he & I when all this COVID stuff started breaking out in the US, but I haven't heard from him since then. I sincerely hope everything is alright.
Thanks bud. Keep us informed if you can.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
So, my cancer surgery is scheduled for next week. I'll probably be out of work for close to three weeks and am looking for suggestions on fun reads during this time off.

I enjoy adventure (Treasure Island), sci-fy (Foundation series) and fantasy (LotR). I've downloaded and will re-read Asimov's Foundation series, but honestly, I've read them a few times and can probably blow through them all in a week or so.

I'm turning to y'all to help me come up with a few intelligent choices that can keep me engaged mentally during the coming weeks. Any suggestions?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So, my cancer surgery is scheduled for next week. I'll probably be out of work for close to three weeks and am looking for suggestions on fun reads during this time off.

I enjoy adventure (Treasure Island), sci-fy (Foundation series) and fantasy (LotR). I've downloaded and will re-read Asimov's Foundation series, but honestly, I've read them a few times and can probably blow through them all in a week or so.

I'm turning to y'all to help me come up with a few intelligent choices that can keep me engaged mentally during the coming weeks. Any suggestions?
Sherlock Holmes series, enough said.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Here's most of the real literature I've read: The Silence of the Lambs, The Clockwork Orange, Metamorphosis, some of The Informers by Bret Easton Ellis, a handful of high school English literature, Edgar Allan Poe novellas... I also have great recommendations in educational psychology and adjacent topics.

Good luck!

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand

For SF: Rama series by Arthur C Clarke; almost anything by Heinlein; David Weber's Dahak series; I could go on all day. I am also partial to anything Star Wars, but a lot of that is not what you would consider good literature.

For Fantasy, Weber's War God series is good; Pratchett's Discworld is fun; some of Anne McCaffrey's Pern books are decent reads; R. A. Salvatore....got more here too. (Forgetten Realms stuff is similar to the Star Wars stuff...I like it, but much of it is not to the highest standard).

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'

The Expanse series by James S. A. Corey is damn good sci-fy. And the show that is now on amazon is my favorite thing I've watched in the past year.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Last night I had a dream that the Avs were short a man and for some reason I had to be the replacement. At first I was super thrilled, but then I started plaing and remembered that being a mediocre defenseman in a 12 year old's non-checking league didn't prepare me to be in the NHL.

I made some really bad turnovers which led to goals against, however they kept putting me out there. I think I was playing wing with Jost. I remember thinking "why don't they just play Barberio here? Surely he wouldn't be THIS bad. How is it my fault that they dont have like... an AHL call up to play?"

After the game everyone was mad at me, especially Mackinnon. But for some reason I couldn't get off the team. I just had to get better and make it work.

Reactions: McMetal

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
So next time you see me out there, please don't be mad at me for falling over while trying to catch a pass. Be upset that Joe and Jared keep throwing me to the wolves.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Last night I had a dream that the Avs were short a man and for some reason I had to be the replacement. At first I was super thrilled, but then I started plaing and remembered that being a mediocre defenseman in a 12 year old's non-checking league didn't prepare me to be in the NHL.

I made some really bad turnovers which led to goals against, however they kept putting me out there. I think I was playing wing with Jost. I remember thinking "why don't they just play Barberio here? Surely he wouldn't be THIS bad. How is it my fault that they dont have like... an AHL call up to play?"

After the game everyone was mad at me, especially Mackinnon. But for some reason I couldn't get off the team. I just had to get better and make it work.
I once had a dream where I played goalie for Tampa. I think they wore the white Edge jersey so it was around that time. I just played regular. I don't know what's up with that.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO

The Kingkiller Chronicle for fantasy, the Bobiverse books for sci-fi, and for adventure I'll echo @S E P H and say any of the Sherlock Holmes stories should tickle your itch for fantasy while also making your brain work for the mystery.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

I've actually had similar dreams. Except in my dreams even when I'm obviously terrible no one else ever notices, which makes my anxiety even worse.

Also the rink at the Pepsi Center had no boards, just a kind of shallow trench around the end of the ice. My dreams are weird.

Reactions: Steerpike

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The Kingkiller Chronicle for fantasy, the Bobiverse books for sci-fi, and for adventure I'll echo @S E P H and say any of the Sherlock Holmes stories should tickle your itch for fantasy while also making your brain work for the mystery.

I echo the Kingkiller Chronicle, amazing read, probably my favorite series of all-time. Also highly recommend the Stromlight Archives or the Gentleman Bastard Sequence. Single books i'd recommend are Ready Player One (if you want a quick, fun read) and Pillars of the Earth (wasn't a fan of the other books in the series).

Reactions: MonsterMack

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The Kingkiller Chronicle is amazing, but I refuse to recommend it to anyone until he releases the damn 3rd book. It's been nine years now and I'm afraid it's going to leave me forever in the dark about how it ends.

Reactions: PAZ and MonsterMack

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Something called The Kingkiller Chronicle can only be the worst thing.

This is how the conversation would go of two people who clock the title at a bookstore:

"Oh hey, I wonder if this is the worst book?"
"There's no two ways about it, Keith."

The other guy's name was Keith.

Reactions: SirLoinOfCloth

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO

This is how the conversation would go of two people who clock the title at a bookstore:

"Oh hey, I wonder if this is the worst book?"
"There's no two ways about it, Keith."

The other guy's name was Keith.

If you happen to receive a pile of shit in the mail, I swear I didn't send it.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Welp, today I officially move into my new house with my girlfriend. I guess this is what commitment looks like. Not sure I'm the Rom Com Male Lead anymore.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Welp, today I officially move into my new house with my girlfriend. I guess this is what commitment looks like. Not sure I'm the Rom Com Male Lead anymore.
giphy.gif

Reactions: CB Joe

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I echo the Kingkiller Chronicle, amazing read, probably my favorite series of all-time. Also highly recommend the Stromlight Archives or the Gentleman Bastard Sequence. Single books i'd recommend are Ready Player One (if you want a quick, fun read) and Pillars of the Earth (wasn't a fan of the other books in the series).
If you had to pick between the Stormlight Archives or the Gentleman Bastard Sequence, which one would you choose? I want to hop back into some fantasy books, but between work & school I really only have time to read for entertainment on the weekends.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Although I don't read it very often, I am reading Pillars of the Earth right now and can also say that it is a good read.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah for a supposedly amazing book, that has got to be one of the worst titles I've ever seen. Let me make a non-fiction book about the wonders of knitting and title it Miley Cyrus Mansion and become NYT bestseller? I am not a sci-fi book fan at all, like at all, but considering how many people recommend it, any sort of basic synopsis here? Also would you lot recommend it as an audiobook because that's what I do nowadays.

Didn't you do a lot of home upgrades in your past house? I hope it at least boosted your home's worth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad