OT: The Avalounge - Prim lost a bet to Shermy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I will be studying culinary arts at Scottsdale Community College.

Gone Girl was compelling to say the least. Boyhood and Gone Girl are the only movies I suggest everyone watch this year. Guardians of the Galaxy falls in a close third.

Still looking forward to seeing Birdman too. Which I've heard is amazing.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Me = pretty much the guy in Smiley's avatar.

I have no idea what I'm doing with my life atm.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Gone Girl was compelling to say the least. Boyhood and Gone Girl are the only movies I suggest everyone watch this year. Guardians of the Galaxy falls in a close third.

Still looking forward to seeing Birdman too. Which I've heard is amazing.

Fincher always delivers (in my opinion) outstanding movies.

After seeing Gone Girl and really liking it, I started thinking about his other movies that I had seen either Opening Day or Opening Weekend and then a thought hit me: "Is he now my favorite director?"

Gone Girl
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
The Social Network
Zodiac (one of my ALL TIME favorites! This was so good!)

Are just his most recent 4 that I had seen either Opening Day or Opening weekend, and I've loved each of them. His teaming with Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor (Trent of Nine Inch Nails fame) for the most recent 3 (Social Network, Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, and Gone Girl) for the Musical Score has been nothing short of amazing as well.

Fincher is so meticulous, and I do believe that when his career is over he'll be looked at as one of the better filmmakers of this or any generation.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I have ZERO responsibilities for the next month. Someone give me some things to put on my to do list.

8aecdd7971.png

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

After seeing Gone Girl and really liking it, I started thinking about his other movies that I had seen either Opening Day or Opening Weekend and then a thought hit me: "Is he now my favorite director?"

Gone Girl
The Social Network

Are just his most recent 4 that I had seen either Opening Day or Opening weekend, and I've loved each of them. His teaming with Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor (Trent of Nine Inch Nails fame) for the most recent 3 (Social Network, Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, and Gone Girl) for the Musical Score has been nothing short of amazing as well.

Fincher is so meticulous, and I do believe that when his career is over he'll be looked at as one of the better filmmakers of this or any generation.

Thanks for writing that up, very interesting. I don't watch a lot of movies but I think I'll have to see Gone Girl. I liked Social a Network a lot.

Smiley, I liked Boyhood too and is one of the few movies I've seen this year. It just drove me crazy there wasn't a plot.

Prim, that's great to hear about your culinary school.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'

Gone Girl
The Social Network

You're right. I hadn't even made the connection between all those movies. The only one I haven't seen is Zodiac so I guess I have to put it on a short list.

Boyhood was a hell of a ride for me. I basically got to relive my entire childhood. Even with no "plot" it resonated with me. Life doesn't have a plot so why should a movie about growing up have one?

Just got back from my first day on the slopes. Forgot how much I missed skiing. :yo:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm not saying Boyhood should have been this contrived storyline but they dropped a bunch of things from early in the movie. The mom's divorce, his relationship with his father, what happened to the step siblings? And then when he became a teenager I kept waiting for anything to happen, anything. Of course the message of the movie should be the main focus but it could have been better with just a little more attention to detail. If they had used a snippet in the kid's real life once a year I actually bet that would have been pretty interesting.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Gone Girl
The Social Network

I think you'd like this:

http://nofilmschool.com/2014/10/what-does-david-fincher-not-do-directors-techniques

Fincher is awesome. Maybe the best. And I LOVE the fact that Trent "NIN" Reznor is now his go-to musical score guy.

Soderberg and Linklater are always fun to watch since they always seem to be trying to reinvent themselves.

Some directors I love but wish they'd go "small" again are Peter Jackson and Christopher Nolan. Both are falling a little too in love with spectacle. Spectacle ain't all that...Michael Bay is nothing but.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad