OT: The Avalounge: Potential Serial Killers Talk About Serial Killers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Anyone been to Costa Rica before?

Friend is having some issues of the female kind, so we're taking an impromptu trip to Costa Rica for 7 days at the end of April. Any suggestions on what to expect and do/see?

Costa Rica is amazing. The amount of wildlife and adventure activities to do are the best. Depends where you go in the country. I did a a semi guided tour so it took us everywhere. Surfing is great there if you're into that. Monteverde for zip lining as well. If you go do the Aventura 100 or something like that. Is the best bang for your buck.

The cities are small and I never felt unsafe. Their English in the cities is pretty good so you'll be ok if you don't know Spanish, but if you know it it'll be better.

If you're into animals the national parks are amazing too. I would recommend going WITH a guide. They bring a scope so you can see all the animals from a distance and their ability to spot them is unbelievable. I wouldn't have seen 90% of the animals around when we went without a guide.

In terms of nightlife unfortunately didn't do too much of that. Was just the nature of the people on the tour.

Reactions: PAZ and Kaizer

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I don't know how often you guys shop online but I found a really useful tool to help understand if Amazon reviews are real or not. Figured I'd post incase someone is interested.

ReviewMeta.com - Amazon Review Checker

Basically it eliminates reviews and rates the likelihood that they are legitimate with a pretty smart algorithm.

armedequation

Mar 1, 2019
Costa rica was pretty cool. Got to tour part of the forest there owned by a family that was very hospitable. Said i could come back any time and stay at their place and go backpacking. Word of warning...dont mess with the ants

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
So, Henry’s Tavern (downtown) took poutine off their menu. :(

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Hmm....so the wife just texted me. Wants me to get tickets to a "Scrap Metal" show on June 1st at the Blue Loon.

Doesn't look like it is the "A-List" lineup but that's kinda to be expected in Fairbanks.

Jack Russell from Great White, Mark Slaughter from Slaughter, Lita Ford, Matt and Gunnar Nelson (blech) and Kip Winger from god help me...Winger.

Haven't been to a rock concert in years though and I believe this one will be outdoors. Kinda bummed about the lineup considering they've also hit the road using Kelly Keagy from Night Ranger, Janet Gardner from Vixen, Eric Martin from Mr. Big, Stephen Pearcy from Ratt, Jani Lane of Warrant (before he pased) Steve Plunkett from Autograph, Joe Turner from both Deep Purple and Rainbow and Jimi Jamison of Survivor (before he passed). Lots a fun bands from my childhood but I'm not sure how many of them I would actually consider "Metal."

Thoughts from the peanut gallery? @Bubba Thudd I'm thinking it wouldn't be a totally wasted night, but I'm hoping you can chime in and tell me if ear plugs will be needed.

Last edited:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Anybody do any investing? I'm looking to dip my toe into that world a bit, starting to look down the road more and think it'd be a good way to help to fund some things I want to do down the road.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Anybody do any investing? I'm looking to dip my toe into that world a bit, starting to look down the road more and think it'd be a good way to help to fund some things I want to do down the road.

A lot, for many years now. Shoot me a PM any time.

Reactions: Foppberg

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I'm going to see Diamante tomorrow evening for an acoustic show in a small local venue.
And I just won Meet & Greet from our local radio station KILO 94

Reactions: Tru

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Hmm....so the wife just texted me. Wants me to get tickets to a "Scrap Metal" show on June 1st at the Blue Loon.

Doesn't look like it is the "A-List" lineup but that's kinda to be expected in Fairbanks.

Jack Russell from Great White, Mark Slaughter from Slaughter, Lita Ford, Matt and Gunnar Nelson (blech) and Kip Winger from god help me...Winger.

Haven't been to a rock concert in years though and I believe this one will be outdoors. Kinda bummed about the lineup considering they've also hit the road using Kelly Keagy from Night Ranger, Janet Gardner from Vixen, Eric Martin from Mr. Big, Stephen Pearcy from Ratt, Jani Lane of Warrant (before he pased) Steve Plunkett from Autograph, Joe Turner from both Deep Purple and Rainbow and Jimi Jamison of Survivor (before he passed). Lots a fun bands from my childhood but I'm not sure how many of them I would actually consider "Metal."

Thoughts from the peanut gallery? @Bubba Thudd I'm thinking it wouldn't be a totally wasted night, but I'm hoping you can chime in and tell me if ear plugs will be needed.
I have heard of literally none of these people or bands (well, apart from Deep Purple and Rainbow), but I can tell you that earplugs are for the weak.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I have heard of literally none of these people or bands (well, apart from Deep Purple and Rainbow), but I can tell you that earplugs are for the weak.
*LOL* I wasn't thinking of using ear plugs to prevent damage, it was more like to totally eliminate the sound all-together. Those people were singers in mostly glam and hair band rock groups from the 80s.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
*LOL* I wasn't thinking of using ear plugs to prevent damage, it was more like to totally eliminate the sound all-together. Those people were singers in mostly glam and hair band rock groups from the 80s.

Well, then yes you might need ear plugs.
Otherwise, I agree with Ceremony, ear plugs are for pansies.

I walked out of a Jack Russell's Great White concert a few months ago.
Had front row center, too.
But he sucked wind.

I'd go see Lita Ford, though. :thumbu:

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Earplugs are essential. I go to shows all the time and never used to wear them as a teenager and had no problems. Then one day I came out of an Opeth show and my ears were ringing... And they've never stopped for the last 14 years. Permanent tinnitus. I wear them religiously now to keep it from getting worse, but the damage is done.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
My favourite part about this video, from the loudest gig I've ever been to, is how the camera shakes every time the bass drum kicks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad