OT: The Avalounge: Potential Serial Killers Talk About Serial Killers

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ladies and gentlemen, I have had one of the worst days in my life today.

I found out that Crayon Pop broke up. I don't know how I can honestly go on...

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Do you doubt the power of google translate? The alternative is using their meanings.

Gabriel Country Forest - Nathan Fair Son/Fair Born - Mikko Small Shore

9296 Line
CFSS Line
EbqqaDd5_400x400.png

I posted this in the lounge because of how it's not interesting at all.

Although the -nen-suffix is a diminutive in language, it had several uses in Finnish last name tradition. First, it could be used like the Mac-prefix, as in Mikkonen, son of Mikko. Originally, names like these could also be interchanged with Mikonpoika (literally 'son of Mikko').

Alternatively, -nen could be used to denote a place of residence. This could be done in reference to a family farm (Mikkonen basically referring to someone belonging to Mikko's farm, i.e. his family) or in reference to a nearby landmark (Jokinen - River-nen, Rantanen - Shore-nen, Vuorinen - Mountain-nen), as in someone living by a river or at a shore. This suffix was also added to some occupations, such as Seppänen (Smith-nen).

The suffix -lä/la works in the exact same way (Rantanen/Rantala).

During Finnification of Swedish names, some of these names could also simply be made up by taking a common thing in nature and tacking on the suffix.

Ultimately, my point is, I think Rantanen refers more to someone living on the shore.

Here, I'll translate some NHL names, so some of it is maybe slightly interesting:

Selänne - Ridge
Kurri - Skim milk
Lehtinen, lehti - leaf
Lehtonen, lehto - grove
Koivu - Birch

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The boy with the beard and the jumper clearly just wandered in off the street. Savage stuff.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Pretty cool of Chipotle to now do a rewards system now that I stopped going there every other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad