OT: The Avalounge: No Politics in the Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This GameStop short squeeze is one of the greatest things I’ve ever seen. Hope they wipe out hedge funds completely.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
This GameStop short squeeze is one of the greatest things I’ve ever seen. Hope they wipe out hedge funds completely.
It feels good, but it's a fleeting victory. Once this bubble pops, the hedge funds and banks will clean up like they always do. Gamestop is going the way of Blockbuster no matter what Reddit does.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It feels good, but it's a fleeting victory. Once this bubble pops, the hedge funds and banks will clean up like they always do. Gamestop is going the way of Blockbuster no matter what Reddit does.
Seems they will take a hedge fund or three down first. Without an injection, Melvin is done for tonight (wait to see if they get that injection). Couple more are close if it maintains 230 tomorrow. Any of these big hedge funds dying is a win for retail investors. The SEC will finally be forced to step in on the illegal naked short activity.

I didn’t buy in when I was told a million times over by a buddy of mine, so I won’t profit... but love seeing these hedge funds squirm.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Seems they will take a hedge fund or three down first. Without an injection, Melvin is done for tonight (wait to see if they get that injection). Couple more are close if it maintains 230 tomorrow. Any of these big hedge funds dying is a win for retail investors. The SEC will finally be forced to step in on the illegal naked short activity.

I didn’t buy in when I was told a million times over by a buddy of mine, so I won’t profit... but love seeing these hedge funds squirm.
I didn't know it was that serious for some of the hedge funds, last I checked they were more bruised than mortally wounded by all this.

But I'm talking in the general sense. All these ordinary people getting into the stock market game is usually the precursor to a crash. And when the crash comes, it will be the big players who win, and the little people will get ruined.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I didn't know it was that serious for some of the hedge funds, last I checked they were more bruised than mortally wounded by all this.

But I'm talking in the general sense. All these ordinary people getting into the stock market game is usually the precursor to a crash. And when the crash comes, it will be the big players who win, and the little people will get ruined.
Yeah there are some funds and a bank that could be in real trouble by the end of the week.

This is mostly true. I think we are seeing a bit of seismic shift in investing. The main growth oriented retail investor today either survived and profited off 2008 or have only invested in a highly pumped and liquidized market. The crash last spring was a huge wealth creation event for those that dumped in. It has created a fearless investing group where ‘buy the dip’ is the overarching theme. There are corrections and even severe ones... but it is changing how markets handle economic issues. They are safe havens for money instead of something to pull out of. GME will certainly pop (and probably within a week or two) and there will be a lot of bag holders, but we are seeing a fearless set of retail investors going against the largest funds. This hasn’t really happened like this before. The consequences will be interesting.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I'm with McMetal.....stupid money was the epitome (and a large symptom) of the dot com bubble......

I'm struggling to find places to put my money right now. I want it out of the market but with impending inflation I'm trying to find where to put it. I really do not want to be a landlord of real estate again. Horrible experience there.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Spacs are the current dot com bubble. The lack of oversight and regulation there is going to let many shady companies slide through. This wsb pushed short squeeze is a grouping of ideas shoving influence on the market and being a force, but they will just cause these small time to time shifts until regulation. Spacs have allowed very fundamentally flawed companies explode the burst. Look no further than Nikola.. a company that offered nothing and had no tech was allowed to explode. With the ipo regulations and oversight (post dot com era) those are much harder to defraud. Spacs are fairly simple and a very big problem. Some real good companies will come from spacs, just like some really good one came from the dot com boom. There will be blood around it.

The young, fearless growth investor that is okay losing 40% in months but keeps investing as it will pop back up is a huge change though. This is an aggressive theory that has proven it can work for the rich that a different generation is grabbing onto and moving it down wealth brackets.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Wait, what's going on with Gamestop?
People on Reddit have been playing a long con against short seller for about 18 months. They grouped together and basically took control of the float. Which combined with the short sellers being naked (illegal) got exploited for a gamma squeeze that has turned into an infinity squeeze where shorts are going bankrupt covering. Shades of VW in 2008. Up ~450% on the week and approaching 900 over the past two. Could pop tomorrow or could hold to double or triple again. The pop is a matter of when, not if. But could topple some major hedge funds in the process.

Reactions: S E P H

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
People on Reddit have been playing a long con against short seller for about 18 months. They grouped together and basically took control of the float. Which combined with the short sellers being naked (illegal) got exploited for a gamma squeeze that has turned into an infinity squeeze where shorts are going bankrupt covering. Shades of VW in 2008. Up ~450% on the week and approaching 900 over the past two. Could pop tomorrow or could hold to double or triple again. The pop is a matter of when, not if. But could topple some major hedge funds in the process.

I assume that's what happened with AMC as well.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I assume that's what happened with AMC as well.

Yup and Nokia and Bed Bath and Beyond. FOMO hit from Gamestop and others went after highly shorted companies. AMC was smart as a company and capitalized on a nice chance to do an at the market secondary for a cool 300m. They were heavily shorted, had the news of avoiding bankruptcy, then WSB joined in to create a squeeze. Where AMC took advantage of it to clean up the balance sheet a bit.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I made checkpoint five of nine in Duolingo French.

Party like it's one thousand nine hundred four-twenty-ten-nine.
Is there a Duolingo to explain what the f*** this post is about?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This is a tough post to make but I've made the decision to delete my HFBoards account. I've been finding that I need to prioritize other things in my life and unfortunately, HF is one of the things I need to cut out in order to get to the goals I'd like to reach.

Thanks to everyone for allowing me to be a part of this great community of Avs fans, I've learned so much over the years from all of you and will truly miss all of you. It's been a hell of a time, and I really do wish success for each and every one of you.

- Mohamed

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This is a tough post to make but I've made the decision to delete my HFBoards account. I've been finding that I need to prioritize other things in my life and unfortunately, HF is one of the things I need to cut out in order to get to the goals I'd like to reach.

Thanks to everyone for allowing me to be a part of this great community of Avs fans, I've learned so much over the years from all of you and will truly miss all of you. It's been a hell of a time, and I really do wish success for each and every one of you.

- Mohamed

Bummer man. Wish there was a way to prioritize other things and move to another chapter in life, without closing the book entirely, but sometimes we just have to make the decisions we feel best and go with them.

Good luck in life brother.

chaos4

Mr.Scratch
Jun 1, 2013
winnipeg
Had no idea what in hell y'all were talking about with this "All Dressed" nonsense. Looked it up and now I gotta go see if it's available in stores.

Don't bother, disgusting.
The equivalent to putting ketchup, rather than hot sauce, on a taco.
Vile, disgusting things, never eat them.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

- Mohamed
Loved you bruv, wish you all the best!

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

- Mohamed
Sorry to see you leave. Good luck in everything.

But I have to say you have it wrong.
You jump ON bandwagons, not OFF. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: