OT: The Avalounge: No Politics in the Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

When the robots rise up to cleanse the planet of mankind, they now also has the mobility to teabag your corpse.

They can't make that yellow dog robot move cutesy enough on its tippy toes where I don't think that that's the one that's gonna eventually mow me down with a turret.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
My goodness people.

Long time no see for several of you.

It is my sincere hope that all of you are doing well, staying healthy, and just doing whatever you can to live your best lives. Honestly, that's what I've been trying to do the large part of the last 3 years. Some days I succeed, other days I recognize a slight backslide towards how I used to be and I do my best to curb it.

You might remember me letting you all know that my wife is pregnant with our first child (well, my first biological, her 3rd overall), everything seems to be progressing well with that and our due date is currently 7/1/21!

We just closed on what we hope will be our "forever home", as of now the only one to see pics has been @henchman24, so I'll let him describe it if he so chooses. But we closed on Monday, and I've been moving boxes after work and let me tell ya...god damn am I sore. Not going to the gym for most of 2020 has officially caught up with me. We hired movers for all of our BIG items (save for the TVs, I'll handle those), but all the boxes that we have, some of which are f***ing filled with heavy ass dishes, photo albums, etc., I'm tasked with getting those. Not to mention our girls' rooms, they have yet to really be packed up, but I guess that will come at some point.

Anyways, happy Hockey Day to all of you!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Congrats @RockLobster on the house and the kiddo! July is just around the corner!

I'll admit I'm a little green with envy on RL getting his forever home! Super nice house that they can grow into and be set for a long time! Has to be a good feeling to check that off the list.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I wanted to ask in case there are guitarists here, are there any good tips for a beginner? Regarding what to get and what not to get, or how to approach learning and stuff. I'm itching to learn the guitar, and the technical side I'd be starting at zero, but I do have background on the drums so I can handle the basic musical side of things, and I can read tablature and stuff.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I wanted to ask in case there are guitarists here, are there any good tips for a beginner? Regarding what to get and what not to get, or how to approach learning and stuff. I'm itching to learn the guitar, and the technical side I'd be starting at zero, but I do have background on the drums so I can handle the basic musical side of things, and I can read tablature and stuff.
You might be able to find something like Synthesia for the guitar. I don't know the guitar, but my cousins have been playing it for like decades' and the first is learning power cords...then you can make your way up to Tosin Abasi level.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

Most important technique is alternate picking. Practice picking strings with a pick in an alternate fashion. No reason to ever produce two down strokes or up strokes in succession. Practice alternate picking on different strings. Do exercises. Then, once you can pick, practice the scales which you can learn.

As for what to buy, my first guitar was a piece of shit that was hard on my fingers, and once I switched to a real guitar I got ten times better. Not sure this is a good strategy. But you might as well buy quality right away: if electric, get a US made guitar (Fender of Gibson). Quebec where I'm from makes a quality product bang for your buck called Godin guitars. If acoustic, not as well versed....get a Yamaha.

Reactions: UncleRisto

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
You might be able to find something like Synthesia for the guitar. I don't know the guitar, but my cousins have been playing it for like decades' and the first is learning power cords...then you can make your way up to Tosin Abasi level.
The second I can rhythm AIC songs, it's all good. I might tune half step down off the bat, if I do pull the trigger on this.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The second I can rhythm AIC songs, it's all good. I might tune half step down off the bat, if I do pull the trigger on this.

Oh mate, I LOVE ATC, their song "Around the World" is one of my personal favs from 90s dance! I did a quick google and it seems the most universal recognised programme is something called "Guitar Pro 7.something". I suggest learning power cords though gives you an idea of where specific notes are and allows you to commit to muscle memory going up and down the neck.

Which Guitar Software? The Best Guitar Learning Software in 2021

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
As for what to buy, my first guitar was a piece of shit that was hard on my fingers, and once I switched to a real guitar I got ten times better. Not sure this is a good strategy. But you might as well buy quality right away: if electric, get a US made guitar (Fender of Gibson). Quebec where I'm from makes a quality product bang for your buck called Godin guitars. If acoustic, not as well versed....get a Yamaha.
Sounds like my kind of thinking, so I'll confirmation bias it big time. The bottom of the barrel entry level just seems like a good way to get annoyed at things. I'm also leaning towards electric off the bat because that's the sound I want to make (even though it's a bigger commitment). I was actually eyeing a Yamaha Pacifica. It's not Fender or Gibson but it's also not a hundred bucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avsboy

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Oh mate, I LOVE ATC, their song "Around the World" is one of my personal favs from 90s dance!
Lol, I read this and confused them with ATB. Hey German 90's dance music guys, have other kinds of names.

I did a quick google and it seems the most universal recognised programme is something called "Guitar Pro 7.something". I suggest learning power cords though gives you an idea of where specific notes are and allows you to commit to muscle memory going up and down the neck.

Which Guitar Software? The Best Guitar Learning Software in 2021
Oh yeah, I've seen Guitar Pro back in the day actually.

Reactions: S E P H

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Something called "Amy Schumer Learns to Cook" is on my television

A second series, no less.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I watched Tenet last night finally. Hoo boy, what a brain burner of a movie. I can definitely see why people said it was confusing, but I felt like I followed it well for the most part. Definitely need to see it again to pick up on all of details I missed the first time. I definitely recommend it, but advise that you watch it with subtitles (the audio mixing is a legit gripe) and pay close attention, because it moves fast and doesn't wait for the viewer to catch up. I appreciate that it's an action movie that doesn't try to dumb things down and just goes full bore ahead without waiting for you to catch up.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
This thread needs more food.

I had Shish Taouk for the first time in months today. So good.

Around here it's served on pita bread with greek potatoes on the side.

tAFS7JU.png

Reactions: SaltySkywalker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->