OT: The Avalounge: Mmm... Steamed Yams!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Well, I'm not all that picky on the genre, I play this baseball game, and Burnout, and some kids' platformers, and I have Civilization. I don't know. I like games that are easy to get into and easy to put down. Also I get stressed out playing online.
Golf Story

Just go to Chipotle instead

I already do but Taco Bell will forever be the GOAT

Reactions: Avsboy

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Well, I'm not all that picky on the genre, I play this baseball game, and Burnout, and some kids' platformers, and I have Civilization. I don't know. I like games that are easy to get into and easy to put down. Also I get stressed out playing online.
Are you talking about Super Mega Baseball 3? I've wanted to try that for a while now but haven't been able to shell out the cash yet. It looks like a good time, though, and probably the only relatively enjoyable alternatives to The Show.

Do you like puzzle games at all? Or roguelikes? I've pumped in 100+ hours into The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, and that's just the Switch version. It has a very unique and edgy aesthetic, though, so if you aren't into that you might not like it. Dead Cells is also a very good roguelike. As for puzzle games, Lumines Remastered and the Picross games are always fun for a bit, and they're very accessible. My wife and I have been playing Clubhouse Games together a few nights a week. If you like sim games, Two Point Hospital is a ton of fun, and its humor, while very silly, is pretty charming.

I could narrow down the options if you were looking at a specific genre or games that play like other games. The Switch library is massive, it has really good AAA first-party games and really good indie games, and apart from the JRPGs on the console, most games are pretty easy to get into.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Are you talking about Super Mega Baseball 3? I've wanted to try that for a while now but haven't been able to shell out the cash yet. It looks like a good time, though, and probably the only relatively enjoyable alternatives to The Show.
Yes! There's a demo, I just play that. It's not annoying about it and it's got the regular game features in it, so you can test it out. If the game goes on sale I'll get it, but I agree I'm not really into shelling out 30 bucks for it.
Do you like puzzle games at all? Or roguelikes? I've pumped in 100+ hours into The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, and that's just the Switch version. It has a very unique and edgy aesthetic, though, so if you aren't into that you might not like it. Dead Cells is also a very good roguelike. As for puzzle games, Lumines Remastered and the Picross games are always fun for a bit, and they're very accessible.
No, not really. Roguelike graphics aren't for me. Same with pretty much any top-down shooter/RPG. Although I liked Loaded on PS1 as a kid.
My wife and I have been playing Clubhouse Games together a few nights a week.
I've seen this one around a lot of course, and I just checked a video, and that's actually a lot of games that could be pretty good. Pretty pricey for that type of game though, so I'll wait around.
If you like sim games, Two Point Hospital is a ton of fun, and its humor, while very silly, is pretty charming.
I should probably just jump on Civ, or get RCT if I wanna play a sim (for eight hours at a time).
I could narrow down the options if you were looking at a specific genre or games that play like other games. The Switch library is massive, it has really good AAA first-party games and really good indie games, and apart from the JRPGs on the console, most games are pretty easy to get into.
I guess I'll hang around for some more sales. I almost got Worms WMD today. I'm a sucker for IP I'm already familiar with.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I guess I'll hang around for some more sales. I almost got Worms WMD today. I'm a sucker for IP I'm already familiar with.

Good call. It's almost never worth it to buy games at full MSRP these days, so if you aren't in desperate need of a new video game to play (lol), waiting is the smart choice. I know you said you get stressed out playing online, but the best online game on the Switch is, in my opinion, Splatoon 2. Not sure if you've played it before, but it's basically Nintendo's take on the shooter genre, and it's a ton of fun. I haven't played it in a long time, but there was a decent amount of players back when I was playing it regularly so matches shouldn't be that difficult to come by. I suggest checking out some YouTube videos so you can decide if it interests you. It's not very stressful, it's easy to learn, and you can pick it up to play one match or ten matches, no problem.

Also, I love Worms! Haven't played any game in that franchise since the early 2000s, so I'm not sure how much they've changed, if at all, but if they're still good these days I might look into picking up Worms WMD for myself on Switch.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Also, I love Worms! Haven't played any game in that franchise since the early 2000s, so I'm not sure how much they've changed, if at all, but if they're still good these days I might look into picking up Worms WMD for myself on Switch.
Yeah, same here. A bunch of Team17 games are on sale right now, it was like 10 bucks.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Yeah, same here. A bunch of Team17 games are on sale right now, it was like 10 bucks.
Wait, really? In that case, I highly, highly, highly recommend Yoku's Island Express. It combines pinball and platforming in a way that I hadn't experienced before. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is a really good side-scrolling platformer, but it can be difficult at times and doesn't have as much jump in/jump out capability as it sounds like you want. The Overcooked! series of games are fantastic local multiplayer games, if you're into couch co-op.

I know you didn't ask for more recommendations, but I couldn't help myself. Yoku's Island Express is just so damn fun, and the rest were kind of tacked on after looking up the other Team17 games I've played on Switch.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Wait, really? In that case, I highly, highly, highly recommend Yoku's Island Express. It combines pinball and platforming in a way that I hadn't experienced before. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is a really good side-scrolling platformer, but it can be difficult at times and doesn't have as much jump in/jump out capability as it sounds like you want. The Overcooked! series of games are fantastic local multiplayer games, if you're into couch co-op.

I know you didn't ask for more recommendations, but I couldn't help myself. Yoku's Island Express is just so damn fun, and the rest were kind of tacked on after looking up the other Team17 games I've played on Switch.
I played the demo and got Island Express. It was roughly seven dollars.

Reactions: Papa Francouz

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Hey, here's a very random vocabulary question: You know the tennis ball cannon American Gladiators game where you run and take cover? Was this ever a kids game or PE class activity? If you were to play this game, does it have a name? Because it's known as Urban Warfare in Finnish, lol.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Hey, here's a very random vocabulary question: You know the tennis ball cannon American Gladiators game where you run and take cover? Was this ever a kids game or PE class activity? If you were to play this game, does it have a name? Because it's known as Urban Warfare in Finnish, lol.
No, but kid me would have f***ing loved that game.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Huh. Here's a picture of some kids playing in a school gym. They're basically playing paintball but it's dodgeball. Apparently this has also been played as a Capture the Flag game.

x640_BEEEB8C4-C427-499D-BDFE-E23D9CF987E9.jpeg

A few times in boys' PE we had the American Gladiators gauntlet type course (otherwise like the picture) where the teacher and/or a student threw foam plastic balls from the front.

By the way, not sure if anyone does this these days, but now that I'm a teacher, how chill must this have been for the one teacher at my elementary who organized this sometimes. Just hurling balls at the kids. And the kids obviously love it too, so win-win.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkT

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Been playing an iphone game called World War Heroes. It's a damn good FPS for phones. Multiplayer only.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Huh. Here's a picture of some kids playing in a school gym. They're basically playing paintball but it's dodgeball. Apparently this has also been played as a Capture the Flag game.

A few times in boys' PE we had the American Gladiators gauntlet type course (otherwise like the picture) where the teacher and/or a student threw foam plastic balls from the front.

By the way, not sure if anyone does this these days, but now that I'm a teacher, how chill must this have been for the one teacher at my elementary who organized this sometimes. Just hurling balls at the kids. And the kids obviously love it too, so win-win.
Over here, the big event was always when they would bring the climbing nets, rope swings, and other obstacle course stuff down for a week. I'm pretty sure that's a universal "90's kid" memory.

Reactions: MaKarter and MarkT

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Pretty sure we also requested the joust from American Gladiators at some point. It was a simpler time. :D

How many concussions do you think resulted from that on the show? They beat the shit out of some of those peeps. :laugh:

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017

That looks like a picture of heaven for 10 year old* me.

*current

Reactions: Pokecheque

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Just got the news that my contract at work is being extended by six months. I was set to be unemployed in six weeks, so that's a huge weight off my shoulders. It still leaves me in contractor limbo instead of a full hire, but it's a hell of a lot better than the unemployment rolls.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I remember that when Miracle came out, I went to see it in theaters 3 times. Such a great film.
Speaking of movies and stuff, I get you notice some new and more in-depth things on a second viewing, but why do people go see a film more than once? I've only watched a handful of my all-time favorite films twice or three times, and never more than once in a theater. Not including sometimes randomly catching a network TV rerun of like Star Wars.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka

You’re a teacher?

tenor.gif

Reactions: UncleRisto
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad