OT: The Avalounge: Mmm... Steamed Yams!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I played Left 4 Dead 2 last night with a guy from Sweden. His name wasn't Dick Jerker, and he also didn't care when I told him Finnish hockey is better than Swedish hockey. I was unaware Swedish people could exist without disliking Finnish people.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I played Left 4 Dead 2 last night with a guy from Sweden. His name wasn't Dick Jerker, and he also didn't care when I told him Finnish hockey is better than Swedish hockey. I was unaware Swedish people could exist without disliking Finnish people.
Oh, we don't dislike each other, it's a friendly rivalry in hockey that doesn't extend beyond sports, and it's mostly little brother shit.

We should ask a Swede, too.

Last edited:

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Oh, we don't dislike each other, it's a friendly rivalry in hockey and it's mostly little brother shit.
Ahh, that makes sense. My only frame of reference for the Finland/Sweden relationship is the WJCs, and it can get pretty heated between people when those two teams play each other. I can also breathe a sigh of relief knowing that Landy and Mikko won't fight each other in the locker room. I'd hate to see Landy's beautiful mug get ruined from Mikko kicking his ass :sarcasm:

This makes me realize I know so little about the day-to-day culture of Swedish people, though. Guess that means it's time to watch some Pewdiepie videos and go to IKEA and learn what being Swedish is all about.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Sweden aren't nationalistic in that we are hostile to other countries but more in some sort of smug sense of us being more noble than other countries. In general the rivalry between the Nordic countries is good natured, except among some really stupid people who actually feel genuine hate.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Ahh, that makes sense. My only frame of reference for the Finland/Sweden relationship is the WJCs, and it can get pretty heated between people when those two teams play each other. I can also breathe a sigh of relief knowing that Landy and Mikko won't fight each other in the locker room. I'd hate to see Landy's beautiful mug get ruined from Mikko kicking his ass :sarcasm:

This makes me realize I know so little about the day-to-day culture of Swedish people, though. Guess that means it's time to go to IKEA and learn what being Swedish is all about.
See here's the thing... Doing the whole "Yeah but what about 2011?" and "Oh, Sweden's this and that" is boring, especially if you're a Finn and you're doing that theater routine to a Swede, bury yourself you hick. You definitely don't even follow hockey if you do that, you just kinda watch NT games.

Howeverrrr, I just had Mats Sundin on the no-draft list for the all-time draft. Finns remember Mats Sundin. Finns remember Jörgen Jönsson. Finns remember Teemu Selänne and Teppo Numminen standing on that blue line in Italy like someone shot all of their mothers.
Sweden aren't nationalistic in that we are hostile to other countries but more in some sort of smug sense of us being more noble than other countries. In general the rivalry between the Nordic countries is good natured, except among some really stupid people who actually feel genuine hate.
Mm, and then Finnish people in Ford hats with flames on them tell you rikssvenska sounds feminine. Burn.

Last edited:

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO

See here's the thing... Doing the whole "Yeah but what about 2011?" and "Oh, Sweden's this and that" is boring, especially if you're a Finn and you're doing that theater routine to a Swede, bury yourself you hick. You definitely don't even follow hockey if you do that, you just kinda watch NT games.

Howeverrrr, I just had Mats Sundin on the no-draft list for the all-time draft. Finns remember Mats Sundin. Finns remember Jörgen Jönsson. Finns remember Teemu Selänne and Teppo Numminen standing on that blue line in Italy like someone shot all of their mothers.

You see, these are all really good things for me to know. I was under the impression that there was genuine animosity between the two populations, and it sounds like that's not the case at all. It's kind of like my British friends and me, in that they're very smug because they're British and I'm American, and despite America being objectively superior in every single way, they still think they're better than us. Like, come on.

@Ceremony :sarcasm:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Hey you Americans, I'm teaching English to this kid who's about to move to the US and I was wondering, what do you think are culturally important topics to try and get a handle on to ease the move to American middle school?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Hey you Americans, I'm teaching English to this kid who's about to move to the US and I was wondering, what do you think are culturally important topics to try and get a handle on to ease the move to American middle school?
Shit, I didn't understand pop culture when I was *in* middle school. Much less now. I guess let him know what memes are and that Post Malone is like the new homeless Mozart and he'll probably be fine.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Shit, I didn't understand pop culture when I was *in* middle school. Much less now. I guess let him know what memes are and that Post Malone is like the new homeless Mozart and he'll probably be fine.
Haha, I'm pretty sure they've already covered shitty pop culture with other 12-year-olds. I was thinking actual cultural knowledge.

It's difficult to point to what exactly that should be beyond geography, since things like the pilgrimage, or the historical knowledge of foreign politics that I have are not really essential...

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
"Hi, we'd like for our son to learn a bit more English to help his school transition. Maybe learn about the culture."

"I'll get my 10-hour lecture series on assassinations and racial incidents ready."

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
"Hi, we'd like for our son to learn a bit more English to help his school transition. Maybe learn about the culture."

"I'll get my 10-hour lecture series on assassinations and racial incidents ready."
Well, we don't even teach our own kids about any of the uncomfortable icky bits of our history, so you're probably safe there. As far as teaching US history... I mean, half the shit we tell kids by that age is made up, and most of the rest is oversimplified. You don't learn actual useful details about history until high school, and the raw truth is only taught in college, and of course most kids don't take history classes in college unless they're majoring in it... But that's a rant I could go on and on about for days.

Geography is probably a good thing to do. I learned about the 50 states and capitals in elementary school, so that's all stuff his peers will know.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I guess I’m moving to either Nevada or Texas according to Twitter. The boss guy sure keeps things interesting.

anyone in TX or Reno area on here?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
You see, these are all really good things for me to know. I was under the impression that there was genuine animosity between the two populations, and it sounds like that's not the case at all. It's kind of like my British friends and me, in that they're very smug because they're British and I'm American, and despite America being objectively superior in every single way, they still think they're better than us. Like, come on.

@Ceremony :sarcasm:
I think seph is the one you meant to tag here

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Out of boredom I looked at what good Avs stuff is on eBay. I think we all need purchase something ridiculous like game used helmets from the last few playoffs, ya know for camaraderie purposes. I’ve seen EJ, Nuke, Girard and Tyson so far for these bad boys lol

Attachments

• 50D48DA4-18A6-4922-972B-F50A5836690E.png
    50D48DA4-18A6-4922-972B-F50A5836690E.png
    386.5 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO

Teach them to complain a lot, sign them up for a Snapchat account, and how to use the welfare system and they should be fine.

Reactions: 5280
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad