OT: The Avalounge: Food, Hipster Beer, Smiley's Chix and Everything Else

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Wait, so there are Black Widows in Denver?? Well my Denver in December dream is officially dead. :sarcasm:.

And Henchy, whatever you do DO NOT let her convert you to the vegan side!!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
And Henchy, whatever you do DO NOT let her convert you to the vegan side!!

That won't happen... there is just mutual respect. Hell the other day I ate nearly a whole pizza filled with meats and cheese while she had a salad. :laugh:

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
When I used to go salmon fishing, I used to sit along the river with black and grizzly bears just fishing together. They were so preoccupied with themselves that would could be within 50-100'. Now I carried a .45 just to be safe, but they were far more interested in the fish and eachother than me. The biggest issue is they had the best fishing spots. :rant:

On another note, dating a vegan is weird...

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I might not actually go there. Seems like too much to deal with when meats are going to be above women on the list of priorities anyway. :sarcasm:

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
They are not nearly as dangerous as people think. They really don't bite unless you are provoking them and/or endangering their eggs. Then when people are bitten, rarely do they actually need antivenom. I've lived with them for years now. At first I was worried, but there really isn't much to fear with them.

i used to work irrigation at a golf course and we had black widows everywhere. the problem with them is that they tend to be in dark places where you dont necessarily know they're at, which is kinda sketchy because you could be reaching into a quick coupler, or trimming a drainage head and 'provoke' the spider before you even know it is there...

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I laugh at your petty insects.

We have mosquitos here. I know you have mosquitos too. But the ones here can carry Malaria, Dengue fever, Japanese Encephalitis, Chikungunya Fever, and Filariasis.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
what do you do to avoid the mosquitoes then?

mosquito.jpg

I might not actually go there. Seems like too much to deal with when meats are going to be above women on the list of priorities anyway. :sarcasm:

:laugh:

I'm a live and let live person. As long as I don't get pressured to change, I won't be a dick. Besides... worth it in this case, really worth it.

i used to work irrigation at a golf course and we had black widows everywhere. the problem with them is that they tend to be in dark places where you dont necessarily know they're at, which is kinda sketchy because you could be reaching into a quick coupler, or trimming a drainage head and 'provoke' the spider before you even know it is there...

Just wear gloves, problem solved.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Kid's legs are going to get bitten to death.

So ****ing sick.... Boss just told me to go home and rest I was looking so bad. First time in my life that has ever happened.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
I am not ashamed to admit I have the same exact pair of Crocs as the mosquito net child in the picture. :D :laugh:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That mosquito net is what I need. I'm super attractive to them and super allergic. When we went to Mexico last year I basically had to stay indoors.

I went on a concert trip once with some friends, didn't know one was vegan. That was definitely a task figuring out a place we could all eat. It's very exhausting.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
A lot of places on the front range seem have an option or two (most are 'here is a pile of vegetables' :laugh:), not very many have more than that. At least in my limited experience. In Wyoming (excluding Laramie and Jackson), it would be here is a stick of celery that normally goes with the wings.

There is one thing I've had that I actually really like. BBQ Jackfruit... in a sandwich it is a lot like pulled pork, and in tacos a lot like carnitas. It won't beat really good recipes of either, but if you've had just decent to good pulled pork or carnitas, it is a perfectly acceptable substitute for that level.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I applaud your dedication Henchy.

Personally I could not date a vegan. All the frustration trying to find spots to eat and the inevitable missed opportunities to eat at certain restaurants would drive me crazy.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That mosquito net is what I need. I'm super attractive to them and super allergic. When we went to Mexico last year I basically had to stay indoors.

I went on a concert trip once with some friends, didn't know one was vegan. That was definitely a task figuring out a place we could all eat. It's very exhausting.
Do you perspire frequently? Because mosquitoes are attracted to the sweat we give off when it is combined with bacteria on the most superficial layer of skin to create body odor. I'm not saying that what you are is a smelly bum, but eliminating all odor is impossible for everyone and mosquitoes have very sensitive receptors.

I applaud your dedication Henchy.

Personally I could not date a vegan. All the frustration trying to find spots to eat and the inevitable missed opportunities to eat at certain restaurants would drive me crazy.
Agreed, I personally want to date someone who shares my interests, but also someone who has stuff she can show me and vice versa which is not as radical as that.

I'm all for people choosing what they want and how to live their lives, I am not against vegetarianism at all. But a lot of vegans I've met always take the moral high ground thinking they are superior to everyone else. I don't disagree with the ideology behind it (being vegan), just that superiority complexes grind my gears.

the cow eats the vegetables and I eat the cow
This probably sounds weird, but I eat meat so the cow's death doesn't go in vain resulting in spoiled meat.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm all for people choosing what they want and how to live their lives, I am not against vegetarianism at all. But a lot of vegans I've met always take the moral high ground thinking they are superior to everyone else. I don't disagree with the ideology behind it (being vegan), just that superiority complexes grind my gears.

A number of the vegans I know don't act like how people portray them. I think the holier than thou vegans are the minority rather than the majority. They do exist though.

A few days into No Man's Sky now... still incredible. I have lost myself for hours and hours. There are a lot of phallic animals though. :laugh:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I probably have a few hundred black widows in my basement that actually keep all the bugs at bay in my house. Maybe a couple times a year I get an earwig.

I have a pretty crippling case of arachnophobia...in fact, in my house, my fiancée has to kill the spiders (and when I lived with roommates, they had to do that as well).

After reading this, I'm probably not going to be able to sleep for a good long while, because when I close my eyes all I'll see is a basement of "a few hundred black widows".

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I have a pretty crippling case of arachnophobia...in fact, in my house, my fiancée has to kill the spiders (and when I lived with roommates, they had to do that as well).

After reading this, I'm probably not going to be able to sleep for a good long while, because when I close my eyes all I'll see is a basement of "a few hundred black widows".

You'd probably crap yourself if you went in my basement.

I'm still kind of scared of spiders, and I used to be so afraid that I couldn't even see one without freaking out. Then I had a pet tarantula and saw how useful she was at killing other insects (I let her roam a bit). Since then I've kinda just let spiders live as long as they were not in bad places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad