OT: The Avalounge: Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes (Turn and Face the Strange)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm now the parent of an awesome 2 year old husky mix, looks like she has a bit of German shepherd in her based on coat color and her legs/tail.

Never growled, barker or anything yet. Just pure love.

Turns out she was a stray before she was scooped up into a shelter. When I've been walking her she tries to hide from cars.

Strays/Rescues are the best. They're eternally grateful to have a good home.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Zodiac, Secret Window, Donnie Darko, The Game, Session 9, Pi, The Machinest, Memento I recall being pretty good...

Thanks. I've seen Memento and Zodiac, but I've been meaning to see The Machinist, and I've gotten a recommendation for Donnie Darko before. The others seem interesting too!

I'm now the parent of an awesome 2 year old husky mix, looks like she has a bit of German shepherd in her based on coat color and her legs/tail.

Turns out she was a stray before she was scooped up into a shelter. When I've been walking her she tries to hide from cars.

Sweet. Congrats!

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
I much prefer psychological thrillers like Vertigo and Shutter Island two name a couple. They have that kind of creepiness to them. No ghosts and monsters is part of creating that for sure. Has anybody got recommendations based on those two films?

Enemy, another Jake Gyllenhaal movie, is interesting. It's just kind of different

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Please.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Looks like a happy camper.

We owe a lot to those wolves who thought it'd be a lot more work to eat us instead of our food scraps.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Oh my god he/she's adorable.

She really is lovely. Only bad habit I've seen so far is her aggression towards food. Not in a dangerous way, but she isn't small and she jumps to get to it. Whether you're eating or someone else. Had friends over so she was excited to show off and try to get their food.

Hoping that passes easily with training and as she learns she doesn't have to worry about food not being a stray anymore.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The boundaries thing with food should be very easy to train. Adorable dog! I've had the privilege of fostering 11 dogs over the last four years and all found their homes. Two were donated to be service dogs for veterans, only one died prematurely, and less than a year after finding an amazing home with this woman in KS. My very favorite one (Boxer/Pit mix) got adopted by my in-laws so I see her all the time.

This probably isn't encouraging but one of my own dogs and Foster #10 were both Husky mixes. They aren't lacking for personality or energy, but are INSANELY stubborn, willful dogs. :laugh: If indeed she's a Husky mix, just be patient.

Does she "talk" like a Husky?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
She hasn't talked at all to be honest, no whimpers and only the slightest bark when food was out yesterday and people were over. Sometimes when I pet her she just looks at me with iced over eyes and no movement, kinda saying 'I've seen some stuff, thanks for taking me in'.

Aside from destroying a shopping bag today when I was showering she's been amazing. Have a feeling I can't leave her outside the crate unsupervised for awhile as she does have that energy to her you mentioned. We went for a short jog today without too many stops, which was nice.

How often do people recommend taking their pets out and what's their schedule look like? Parents told me that for now I need to take her out a lot until I'm sure she's housebroken, so we went out at 5pm, 10pm, 3am and 7am and each time she did her business.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The boundaries thing with food should be very easy to train. Adorable dog! I've had the privilege of fostering 11 dogs over the last four years and all found their homes. Two were donated to be service dogs for veterans, only one died prematurely, and less than a year after finding an amazing home with this woman in KS. My very favorite one (Boxer/Pit mix) got adopted by my in-laws so I see her all the time.

This probably isn't encouraging but one of my own dogs and Foster #10 were both Husky mixes. They aren't lacking for personality or energy, but are INSANELY stubborn, willful dogs. :laugh: If indeed she's a Husky mix, just be patient.

Does she "talk" like a Husky?

She hasn't talked at all to be honest, no whimpers and only the slightest bark when food was out yesterday and people were over. Sometimes when I pet her she just looks at me with iced over eyes and no movement, kinda saying 'I've seen some stuff, thanks for taking me in'.

Aside from destroying a shopping bag today when I was showering she's been amazing. Have a feeling I can't leave her outside the crate unsupervised for awhile as she does have that energy to her you mentioned. We went for a short jog today without too many stops, which was nice.

How often do people recommend taking their pets out and what's their schedule look like? Parents told me that for now I need to take her out a lot until I'm sure she's housebroken, so we went out at 5pm, 10pm, 3am and 7am and each time she did her business.

I've had a couple of Huskies, and my current girl (short hair black & white), is fairly quiet as well. They all pretty much have the ability to do that though. Something will get them going.

With dogs it's more about age when it comes to their ability to hold it. Outside of that other factors contribute to how they are with potty training. Mine wasn't great when I got her, but she was good at hiding it when she did go in the house. She found the furthest back part of the house in a bedroom on the far side of the bed. Her stubborn side also made her lazy at times with it. It almost seemed like an FU for leaving her in the house alone.

Crate training seems to work great for huskies because they dig dens like Wolves do. That's another thing as well. If they are left with periods of access to outside unattended they'll likely dig themselves a cool spot to hang out. In the end mine got used to her crate as a safe place, and would even put herself to bed at times as long as I made sure the door was open. Now in her old age I don't even need to lock it (took the door off altogether), and as long as it's not much more than 8 hours shes pretty good about going outside.

They are very trainable as long as you are more stubborn than they are. Mine is off leash trained, and is able to come outside in the front yard with me when I smoke. That is something that is really rare with Huskies. I've met people that won't let them off the leash at a fenced in dog park because of how hard they are to catch. (yes that's me bragging a bit lol)

Last edited:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
ABasin said:
Allopurinol?

Yep. I used to use cherry juice as a remedy for it. Buy a whole bottle of it and choke it down in 12 hours. Gives you the runs but it works pretty fast for the pain.

The pain's gone down from yesterday, more like a 5 instead of a 9. Still have to walk on it though which sucks.

Hey, McMetal. Just pulling up your post from last year, re: gout.

Last year I had gone to a nephrologist (for a different reason), and he gave me a different drug to try when gout showed up. It's called Colchicine (I had never heard of it).

Last Wednesday am (after two 12+ hour days in dress shoes), I woke up in nasty pain with the tell tale signs. Immediately popped this Colchicine (you're supposed to take one immediately at the outset of gout, otherwise the effectiveness goes down), then took it for a couple of days. Dude, the entire thing was totally gone and over with in 48 hours. F***ing miracle drug.

Now, I will offer one note of caution: pay attention to the listed side effects. I took an immodium with my dose because.......um.......damn. :help:

Totally worth it though. Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
They are very trainable as long as you are more stubborn than they are. Mine is off leash trained, and is able to come outside in the front yard with me when I smoke. That is something that is really rare with Huskies. I've met people that won't let them off the leash at a fenced in dog park because of how hard they are to catch. (yes that's me bragging a bit lol)

I heard similar from the adoption people that helped me out. Never let her off the leash, she'll go exploring and be gone.

I'll definitely do my best to get her comfortable being at my side on leash and then consider off leash later. Once my parents re-fence in their yard I can let her play back there and see how she does.

A little while ago she had a little bit of a traumatic wake up, I shifted in my chair to get up and she went flying from her pillow until she re-oriented herself and saw me. I've never been around a dog like that, so it will be interesting to see how her personality changes over time.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Hey, McMetal. Just pulling up your post from last year, re: gout.

Last year I had gone to a nephrologist (for a different reason), and he gave me a different drug to try when gout showed up. It's called Colchicine (I had never heard of it).

Last Wednesday am (after two 12+ hour days in dress shoes), I woke up in nasty pain with the tell tale signs. Immediately popped this Colchicine (you're supposed to take one immediately at the outset of gout, otherwise the effectiveness goes down), then took it for a couple of days. Dude, the entire thing was totally gone and over with in 48 hours. F***ing miracle drug.

Now, I will offer one note of caution: pay attention to the listed side effects. I took an immodium with my dose because.......um.......damn. :help:

Totally worth it though. Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Oh yeah, I use Colchicine for flare ups. Has pretty much the same effect on your bowels as a full jug of cherry juice. :laugh: Probably has the same stuff in it. I still take the Allopurinol and it works great, but every 4-5 months I'll get a flare and have to dip into the Colchicine.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I heard similar from the adoption people that helped me out. Never let her off the leash, she'll go exploring and be gone.

I'll definitely do my best to get her comfortable being at my side on leash and then consider off leash later. Once my parents re-fence in their yard I can let her play back there and see how she does.

A little while ago she had a little bit of a traumatic wake up, I shifted in my chair to get up and she went flying from her pillow until she re-oriented herself and saw me. I've never been around a dog like that, so it will be interesting to see how her personality changes over time.

A lot of times strays can be erratic. I would be very cautious about off-leash with a dog that clearly ran away once before. Make sure she's 100% comfortable with you, like a year or more in your home, before you try that.

In all likelihood, she will relax after a while once she's sure that your home is "home". When they're new to a home rescues often have been through a lot of change and turmoil and are just waiting to be moved again. It takes a while to settle in and realize that they're not going to leave.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What an adorable dog Lonewolfe! Strays can be a bit of a handful to train the first few months, but just give the dog time and love and she will be fine.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
A lot of times strays can be erratic. I would be very cautious about off-leash with a dog that clearly ran away once before. Make sure she's 100% comfortable with you, like a year or more in your home, before you try that.

In all likelihood, she will relax after a while once she's sure that your home is "home". When they're new to a home rescues often have been through a lot of change and turmoil and are just waiting to be moved again. It takes a while to settle in and realize that they're not going to leave.

Yeah, I had a Chow/Malamute mix tear apart a steal kennel, rip all my blinds down, push the window A/C unit out and escape. Luckily I put my phone number and a reward tag on her collar so I got her back.

The dog was wonderful in all aspects. Loyal, obedient, medium energy, house trained, off leash, and just generally happy go lucky dog.

I should have known a rescue that was able to go everywhere off-leash almost immediately to a level you could walk her along a city street would have separation issues.

Whoever had the dog prior obviously took her everywhere to the level of some kind of transient hippie or something, because it was impossible to leave her home. Luckily I found her a home on a ranch with a retired couple. I loved that dog, and the military was pretty cool about me bringing her to work once I explained the situation. She just chilled at the back of the formation, and was pretty well behaved. It just wasn't a long term solution.

The moral of the story is that with rescue dogs. You can never really know what you are going to get, and the shelters often withhold information about their health or don't know much themselves. If they've been in a shelter a while then they may have become worse about being potty trained due to having to **** where they eat and sleep. That chow/malamute came with a case of kennel cough, and my wife's PBGB came with 10K worth of health issues. Our dachshund pees himself when you walk in the door, and bites people when they come over, but it's totally random 50/50 if he decides he likes someone or does not. Hes also dumb to the point of being un-trainable. (I'm not a fan of small/lap dogs myself)

I was lucky with my Husky, she was from a family that was giving her away because their youngest son was abusive towards her (didn't ask why their son was an A-hole), and she was only 7 months old. Not really much of a rescue in the end.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I had a (miniature) dachshund as well. Didn't really bother with training him much. Ours certainly was a lap dog. Squeezed in as tight as possible, preferably under blankets or even inside my t-shirt if possible.

They have a cool character, although they're very stubborn. They're small but being hunting dogs, they often act (and bark) big. They have a prey drive and they're very "dog-like" unlike some other small lapdogs. I also liked how he was very sturdy and muscular for his size. You didn't feel like you were gonna break him. Although the US breeding of them has probably gone for the lapdog market more than the hunting dog kind. Knowing as they've also crossed some really stupid and way too many colors into them.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
@JWK was made 6 months after I made my twitter account, sad. I need a time machine

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Thanks for all the advice and kind words everyone. First full day together, it's been a long one.

Tomorrow we start our first time apart. Two day trip to the west coast. I already acclimated my family to her and she will stay at my house in the crate when they aren't over to supervise her play time. Fingers crossed everything goes well, I know it isn't so ideal the after adopting. But really no time is a good time and I do still have travel to figure out. Probably will start looking at boarding soon for some trips to not burn out family/friend help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad