OT: The Avalounge: aka Free Relationship and Beer Brewing Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Do you ever listen to Steven Wright? You'd love him, just as good one liners as Mitch.

Steven Wright is another good one, yes.

You'd mentioned John Mulaney before, and he's absolutely hilarious (shame that the concept of his sitcom was lost on the wide-audience). You also mentioned Gaffigan, he's good for some laughs as well.

Dimitri Martin is one of my favorites right now, he's pretty good. And honestly, I know some people didn't like (or understand) his show, but Jerry Seinfeld's stand-up is definitely among the top. He just gets it.

Martin told a good Wright story on The Nerdist Podcast a while back...I'd try to re-tell it right now, but I feel like I would mess it up, but just go look it up and I think you'll have a chuckle.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

You'd mentioned John Mulaney before, and he's absolutely hilarious (shame that the concept of his sitcom was lost on the wide-audience). You also mentioned Gaffigan, he's good for some laughs as well.

Dimitri Martin is one of my favorites right now, he's pretty good. And honestly, I know some people didn't like (or understand) his show, but Jerry Seinfeld's stand-up is definitely among the top. He just gets it.

Martin told a good Wright story on The Nerdist Podcast a while back...I'd try to re-tell it right now, but I feel like I would mess it up, but just go look it up and I think you'll have a chuckle.

Saw him live about a month ago. He was incredible. But I'm a huge Seinfeld fan so even if he just stood there and smiled I would have loved it.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Saw him live about a month ago. He was incredible. But I'm a huge Seinfeld fan so even if he just stood there and smiled I would have loved it.

I've seen him live 3 times, and they've all been hugely entertaining.

Unless I've missed something else he's released, his "Live on Broadway" CD (that was supposed to kind of be his "retirement"...) is just hilarious.

So many good things on Halloween (as a kid), flying, Pharmacists/Doctors, etc.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I haven't listened to Seinfeld in so long, he's incredible. Love his stuff. Yeah Mulaney is someone I found on Pandora pretty recently and he's hilarious. Dmitri Martin is really good, I also like Bo Burnham, some of his stuff is fantastic.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The very best live comedy shows I think I have ever seen were all by Todd Berry. The guy can work a crowd like no other, amazingly quick witted. Bill Burr isn't for everybody, but he is also really damn good. Same with Doug Stanhope.

A couple names people might not know... Myq Kaplan and Mike Birbiglia.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Adam Carolla live was fantastic. Jay Mohr was pretty good too. I've seen Tosh twice as well, he's not for everyone but gives a great show. I saw the last comic standing tour once, that was a great way to see comedy. I'll have to look up the lineup that I saw, I don't remember any of the names but one guy was so funny I was laughing so hard my sides hurt it was so good. Haven't seen any shows lately but I'd like to, standup is a lot of fun.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The very best live comedy shows I think I have ever seen were all by Todd Berry. The guy can work a crowd like no other, amazingly quick witted. Bill Burr isn't for everybody, but he is also really damn good. Same with Doug Stanhope.

A couple names people might not know... Myq Kaplan and Mike Birbiglia.

Mike Birbiglia is really good, his awkwardness is pretty unique as a comedian.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I've watch a lot of comedians in my life. And I have not watch other comedians because you know they're terrible like the Silverman, Kat Williams, and Patton Oswalt. Them and Carr are just complete and utter disasters. There's a HUGE difference between making fun of someone and having it sound like a arrogant ********* who is just a ***** with zero friends and someone where it's genuine funny. For me, that is a huge difference between a good comedian and a horrible one.

Amy Schumer is actually okay. Hedberg is awesome, but gets old fast. Robin Williams is great when you have sugar in your system. Dmitri Martin is definitely the strangest out of what I've seen. He has a very dry observational humour, but somehow it works (I think he's quite average though in the end). I am a big Gabriel Iglesias and Pablo Fransisco fan too. Also I've enjoyed Michael McIntyre too, but British humour is much different than Americans so you would have to "get it" per se.

The best comedian I've seen to this day is the Dave Chappelle. Not his show, but his standup work will honestly leave you breathless. Yeah, he goes deep into some subjects at times, but you just laugh it off because of good he is. Sad that he's decided to semi-retire because he was one of the best and deservedly so.

My hipster blood is telling me to discredit Kevin Hart since he sold out a throwball stadium and that he isn't that good, but I just can't. At times I laughed uncontrollably, his impersonations of his family and friends are what keeps him popular.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I agree completely with SEPH. It's the obvious choice but it doesn't matter, Chappelle is the GOAT. For What It's Worth and Killing Them Softly are the two best stand ups I've ever seen. His white person voice is just amazing. It's crazy because he's not only hilarious but he's also so intelligent.

I don't want to laugh at Kevin Hart but I do. He's a funny dude.

Eddie Murphy is a "classic" but I just don't like him. He irritates me. I only like Eddie Murphy in shrek. I also hate Russell Peters.

The best underground comedian is Brian Regan. He is absolutely hilarious. Completely PG too which is pretty cool.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I've watch a lot of comedians in my life. And I have not watch other comedians because you know they're terrible like the Silverman, Kat Williams, and Patton Oswalt. Them and Carr are just complete and utter disasters. There's a HUGE difference between making fun of someone and having it sound like a arrogant ********* who is just a ***** with zero friends and someone where it's genuine funny. For me, that is a huge difference between a good comedian and a horrible one.

Amy Schumer is actually okay. Hedberg is awesome, but gets old fast. Robin Williams is great when you have sugar in your system. Dmitri Martin is definitely the strangest out of what I've seen. He has a very dry observational humour, but somehow it works (I think he's quite average though in the end). I am a big Gabriel Iglesias and Pablo Fransisco fan too. Also I've enjoyed Michael McIntyre too, but British humour is much different than Americans so you would have to "get it" per se.

The best comedian I've seen to this day is the Dave Chappelle. Not his show, but his standup work will honestly leave you breathless. Yeah, he goes deep into some subjects at times, but you just laugh it off because of good he is. Sad that he's decided to semi-retire because he was one of the best and deservedly so.

My hipster blood is telling me to discredit Kevin Hart since he sold out a throwball stadium and that he isn't that good, but I just can't. At times I laughed uncontrollably, his impersonations of his family and friends are what keeps him popular.

You have problems with so many comedians you listed (and, for example, I agree w/ you on Kat Williams) but turn around and say you're big fans of these two? Iglesias is about as "cookie-cutter" as I've ever personally heard/seen.

Not sure what's wrong with Martin for you to "ultimately put him as quite average", or Hedberg for you to say "gets old quick"...but I guess that's why they say "comedy is subjective".

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Just got laid off from my job.

I knew they had been struggling to get people to pull the trigger on projects over the last month or so but I just did two back to back 40ish hour work weeks at a new site and had been told I'd likely be there for the better part of the next few months. Something must have happened. Only a few weeks ago the owner was talking to me about hiring another crew. Now they are having to sideline three guys for at least a couple month and I was one of the newest guys. I know it's part of the industry, just sucks having been told to not worry and that'd there would be constant work through January.

On the positive, at least I didn't sign a year lease for a place I probably couldn't have afforded. I almost rented a place that would have me broke by the new year had gone through with it. :dunno:

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I agree completely with SEPH. It's the obvious choice but it doesn't matter, Chappelle is the GOAT. For What It's Worth and Killing Them Softly are the two best stand ups I've ever seen. His white person voice is just amazing. It's crazy because he's not only hilarious but he's also so intelligent.

I don't want to laugh at Kevin Hart but I do. He's a funny dude.

Eddie Murphy is a "classic" but I just don't like him. He irritates me. I only like Eddie Murphy in shrek. I also hate Russell Peters.

The best underground comedian is Brian Regan. He is absolutely hilarious. Completely PG too which is pretty cool.

:amazed: I'm not the only one! I love Brian Regan, he was the first comic I'd ever listened to and got me into comedy. Kevin Hart also is just hilarious, I know he's the biggest name out there ATM but there's a pretty good reason for that he's just funny. Not sure if anyone listens to older comedy, but Bob Newhart is a legend, big fan of his.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Yikes sorry man. What industry are you in?

I'm having a rough time at my job too. I don't think I will be laid off but I'm not 100% sure either.

The only thing that keeps me going is that I recently read a book by a bunch of incredibly successful people - they all "failed" on some job or business situation before hitting it big.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I knew they had been struggling to get people to pull the trigger on projects over the last month or so but I just did two back to back 40ish hour work weeks at a new site and had been told I'd likely be there for the better part of the next few months. Something must have happened. Only a few weeks ago the owner was talking to me about hiring another crew. Now they are having to sideline three guys for at least a couple month and I was one of the newest guys. I know it's part of the industry, just sucks having been told to not worry and that'd there would be constant work through January.

On the positive, at least I didn't sign a year lease for a place I probably couldn't have afforded. I almost rented a place that would have me broke by the new year had gone through with it. :dunno:

Man I'm sorry to hear that... Do you know of any other good opportunities in the area for work?

I'm kinda in the same boat, the company I work for lost the contract at the hospital I'm working at but I have no clue when we actually lose our spot.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

I was in that place at exactly this time last year...I was roughly 1 month removed from being laid off and drawing unemployment. I don't pretend to know how this circumstance will affect you personally, but I know I was pretty miserable (aside from the first couple of days where my mind was going "Oh, you don't have to work today!").

I'm thankful that I had plenty of savings built up (though it sucks that it took a huge hit from this) and it helped get me through my period where I was without a job.

You seem like a smart guy, I'm sure there will be a company that will scoop you up...but I guess I'd offer a caution (and not meant to be a negative in anyway)--I found out the hard way that most companies here in KS were not all that willing to hire someone at this place in the year, they seemed to be "wrapping up" for the fiscal year and just didn't want to bring anyone else on.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Hang in there Smileyface. Construction industry is tough. Have you looked into the deconstruction industry?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Considering how easy it is for you to get chicks Smiley, why don't you just become a model? Not joking here.:D

You have problems with so many comedians you listed (and, for example, I agree w/ you on Kat Williams) but turn around and say you're big fans of these two? Iglesias is about as "cookie-cutter" as I've ever personally heard/seen.

Not sure what's wrong with Martin for you to "ultimately put him as quite average", or Hedberg for you to say "gets old quick"...but I guess that's why they say "comedy is subjective".
I still liked and enjoyed Martin and Hedberg, I personally don't hate them, but would I watch them again? No, I don't think so.

Though with that said; I might have been a bit too negative concerning my comments, or it could be my hipster blood talking. So pardon my mess.

I totally get the idea of not liking Iglesias, but for me, the best comedians are ones who are able to incorporate their life stories into jokes. You feel a more personal connection with them and I think Iglesias is quite good at that. Again I don't think you're totally out of context to say he is "cookie-cutter". You're going to have to explain Fransisco because I think he's awesome.

I echo the comments about Brian Regan, was listening to him the other day and I was impressed.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Thanks for the kind words folks :yo:
I appreciate it. I'm sure things will turn around quick!

And... I think I'll hold off on the modeling for now. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad