Line Combos: The Athletic's James Mirtle pencils TOR's roster

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The problem as I see it is no matter how you look at it an overloaded powerplay is going to severely underutilize someone who should get #1 PP minutes. For this reason I think we will see a move back to 2 split units.

Tavares with Marner, Rielly and one of Johnsson/Kapanen as the basis of one.

Matthews with Nylander, Barrie and the other of Johnsson/Kapanen as the basis of two

Even time between units.

It opens up a lot of plays on the first PP, instead of one or two plays. You can use a one timer from the point, you can make a play in the middle, use Tavares as a back door, etc. That's what a loaded PP is. Put your elite talent on the ice at the same time, they should create an elite level PP most of the time. If you give most of your PP time to your top PP line, the 2nd PP won't be needed as much so, it wastes whoever you put there.

The main issue with loading up one PP line is that if they were just on the ice before the penalty, they will be very tired for the PP. So there's likely some juggling to accommodate that to a certain degree.

We just hired the PP coach of the Panthers last season and he did load up on the first PP from what I read. I think we will see a lot more of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sypher04

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Will be interesting to see who is the spare forward, and whether that is the player then traded or waived once Hyman returns. I can see where it might not be either Agostino or Petan who gets waived - should it come to that - since they each (reportedly for Agostino) have two year contracts.

If Dermott is out for the start of the season, I'd expect Harpur to figure into the mix (if he already isn't). IIRC, Borgman isn't eligible for waivers like the others he'd be in competition with. If he's with the team, I'd expect him to be in the lineup.
They signed Sparks around the same time they signed Petan. Opinions change. I don't think given his size and offensive production so far that he's tracking to be an NHL player. He seems like the classic all star at the AHL level but not good enough for the top-9 in the NHL or tough/defensive enough for line #4.

Xavier Laflamme.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Babcock did say that Mihkeyev would have a big role to play with the Leafs, but I wonder if that is more Babcock falling in love with his own voice and it was just verbal diarrhea or if he truly thinks Mihky has a chancy with the Leafs.
He is a Leaf for sure. His skill set is NHL he will get an opportunity in the top 6 to start the season if he shows well in preseason.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It opens up a lot of plays on the first PP, instead of one or two plays. You can use a one timer from the point, you can make a play in the middle, use Tavares as a back door, etc. That's what a loaded PP is. Put your elite talent on the ice at the same time, they should create an elite level PP most of the time. If you give most of your PP time to your top PP line, the 2nd PP won't be needed as much so, it wastes whoever you put there.

The main issue with loading up one PP line is that if they were just on the ice before the penalty, they will be very tired for the PP. So there's likely some juggling to accommodate that to a certain degree.

We just hired the PP coach of the Panthers last season and he did load up on the first PP from what I read. I think we will see a lot more of that.

If that's the case, they need to make sure they get Matthews more involved on the opposite wall. It looked great early but after maybe a month our powerplay became super predictable with it almost exclusively going through Marner and Rielly each time and Auston wasn't getting many looks or honestly even touches. He was utterly wasted there

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I'd like to know how many Marlies games Mirtle has seen to say "Liljegren is not ready" when Dubas said himself they were looking to call him up before his injury and before he totally dominated the playoffs

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
They signed Sparks around the same time they signed Petan. Opinions change. I don't think given his size and offensive production so far that he's tracking to be an NHL player. He seems like the classic all star at the AHL level but not good enough for the top-9 in the NHL or tough/defensive enough for line #4.

Xavier Laflamme.

A number of forwards have definitely been added since that re-signing. It's entirely possible Petan won't have a spot in the lineup, at least regularly. I just wouldn't necessarily be in a rush to cast the player and contract aside as he provides cost certainty, if not also depth.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I'd like to know how many Marlies games Mirtle has seen to say "Liljegren is not ready" when Dubas said himself they were looking to call him up before his injury and before he totally dominated the playoffs
I think Sandin and Liljegren are tracking pretty well. To fill in for an injured Dermott over a small sample size I'd prefer to get a look at one of them. The way they're heading they could end the season as a roster players.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

Last season Leafs used Matthews Tavares and Kadri on PP1 . C1, C2, C3.
I wonder if Babs was worried to gas those 3 on an extended PP would then leave the team vunerable icing C4 probably against the oppositions top line.
This will not be a problem this season so go for the extended PP1 and don't worry so much about what happens next.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
He is a Leaf for sure. His skill set is NHL he will get an opportunity in the top 6 to start the season if he shows well in preseason.

If he is a top 6-er, it makes me wonder how deep (shallow) we are at the prospect level on the wing. At the end of the day the teams that win the season ending tournament, tend to be pretty deep teams. This team feels like its pretty deep in a few of positions, then there are question marks at most other.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Last season Leafs used Matthews Tavares and Kadri on PP1 . C1, C2, C3.
I wonder if Babs was worried to gas those 3 on an extended PP would then leave the team vunerable icing C4 probably against the oppositions top line.
This will not be a problem this season so go for the extended PP1 and don't worry so much about what happens next.

I really want the Leafs to break up that useless top heavy PP1 unit, the game plan was stop the 1st PP unit and you probably will have success on the PK vs the Leafs.

I have no idea if Barrie or Rielly will be the top PP dman so I'm not going to number it #1 and #2. I'm making the assumption that the Leafs will stick with one d on each unit. So that puts Rielly on one unit and Barrie on the other.

If I look at the people we have, I think there are 4 spots open on the PP. I think Kerfoot, Johnsson, Kapanen, Moore, Spezza, Mikheyev, Bracco will all have (might have?) an opportunity to win a spot on the PP.

PP unit
Center - Tavares
Wing - Mitch
Open
Open
D-man - Rielly

PP unit
Center - Matthews
Wing - Nylander
Open
Open
Dman - Barrie

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
I really want the Leafs to break up that useless top heavy PP1 unit, the game plan was stop the 1st PP unit and you probably will have success on the PK vs the Leafs.

I have no idea if Barrie or Rielly will be the top PP dman so I'm not going to number it #1 and #2. I'm making the assumption that the Leafs will stick with one d on each unit. So that puts Rielly on one unit and Barrie on the other.

If I look at the people we have, I think there are 4 spots open on the PP. I think Kerfoot, Johnsson, Kapanen, Moore, Spezza, Mikheyev, Bracco will all have (might have?) an opportunity to win a spot on the PP.

PP unit
Center - Tavares
Wing - Mitch
Open
Open
D-man - Rielly

PP unit
Center - Matthews
Wing - Nylander
Open
Open
Dman - Barrie

I really dont like Marner on the top PP, or being the PP QB.
he is not enough of a threat to shoot, and cannot make the cross seam pass to Mathews (since everyone is waiting and trying to block it)
Nylander plays the same spot, and does a better job because he has a laser beam of a shot from that same spot, and because of that risk, he can make the cross seam pass with far greater success.
i'd put Johnnson the Left side, Nylander on the right ...Mathews takes Kardi's spot in the slot, and Tavares can keep the net. 2nd can be highlighted by Marner, and have Kerfoot, Spezza, Kap/Mikheyev
Rielly/Barrie whichever is fresh takes #1pp, or flip flop them to add a wrinkle

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It's a nice problem to have but it's also kinda unfortunate that with Barrie now in the mix we have 6 bonafide #1 powerplay quality guys and only 5 spots.

Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Barrie

You cannot have them all out on 1 unit. Someone is getting screwed in that setup.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Mikheyev is a a wild card for me. His preseason is the most interesting to watch. He could be a perfect fit in the top 6, providing speed, skill, vision, size. Playing with a Matthews or Tavares is a gift for this guy, he has to run with it though, he has to be at least a 2010 Kulemin level player, anything less is a wasted spot to me. Having Mathews/Nylander or Tavares/ Marner on your line, you should get 20/30/50 by default.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Mikheyev is a a wild card for me. His preseason is the most interesting to watch. He could be a perfect fit in the top 6, providing speed, skill, vision, size. Playing with a Matthews or Tavares is a gift for this guy, he has to run with it though, he has to be at least a Kulemin level player, anything less is a wasted spot to me. Having Mathews/Nylander or Tavares/ Marner on your line, you should get 20/30/50 by default.

There's an argument as to whether him getting 20g/50p would be a good thing this season lol.
1 year contract and all.

I still think we put him and us in the best position to succeed, but could mean his stay would be short-lived possibly.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Hoping Marchement & Harpur are given an opportunity early on.

Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Micheyev - - Tavares - - Marner
Moore - - - Kerfoot - - - Kapanen
Marchement - Spezza - Gauthier/Petan/Agostino/Shore

Rielly - - - - - Ceci
Muzzin - - - Barrie
Harpur - Borgman/Liljigren/Marincin

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
It's a nice problem to have but it's also kinda unfortunate that with Barrie now in the mix we have 6 bonafide #1 powerplay quality guys and only 5 spots.

Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Barrie

You cannot have them all out on 1 unit. Someone is getting screwed in that setup.
pull the goalie :rolleyes:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Hoping Marchement & Harpur are given an opportunity early on.

Micheyev - - Tavares - - Marner
Moore - - - Kerfoot - - - Kapanen
Marchement - Spezza - Gauthier/Petan/Agostino/Shore

Rielly - - - - - Ceci
Muzzin - - - Barrie
Harpur - Borgman/Liljigren/Marincin

I don't like Harpur at all on our 3rd pair. 7th D maybe, but a regular, absolutely not.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Right now I want to see:

Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Mikheyev-Matthews-Nylander
Petan-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Moore-Spezza-Anybody

To start the year

I'd go with

Moore-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Petan-Spezza-Timashov/Engvall

Muzzin Barrie
Rielly Ceci (Ceci dealt at the TDL for a defensive D-man)
Rosen Liljegren
xxx

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

PP unit
Center - Tavares
Wing - Mitch
Open
Open
D-man - Rielly

PP unit
Center - Matthews
Wing - Nylander
Open
Open
Dman - Barrie

I would prefer to start with Matthews unit with both nylander and matthews playing on their off-wing for one-timers

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Where's the balance of "pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence..."? :sarcasm:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Don t over think it for once, Babcock.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Moore - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Agostino - Shore - Spezza/Mikheyev

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Barrie
Dermott - Liljegren/Holl

PP1: Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander , barrie/rielly