Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Moore - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Agostino - Shore - Spezza/Mikheyev

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Barrie
Dermott - Liljegren/Holl

PP1: Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander , barrie/rielly
PP2: Kapanen, Johnsson, Kerfoot, Moore/Spezza, barrie/rielly
do you like Ceci on the top pairing, or is it more out of necessity?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Salary cap $$ aside since we're talking BETTER here..

If you had a choice between Kadri, Marleau, Brown and Ennis vs Kerfoot, Spezza, Shore, Augostino, that you think the later make us better?

Yeah, most likely the new guys are a very nice upgrade over what those guys gave us last year.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
do you like Ceci on the top pairing, or is it more out of necessity?

Might as well give it a look and see if he looks more useful playing with an elite partner on an elite team. He's certainly a better puck mover than our right side guys last year so Rielly might enjoy that part at least. Been a long time since he didn t have to carry the entire puck moving role on his pair.

But yeah I'd have zero problems booting Ceci and having rielly-dermott and sandin-lilly pairs right to start the year. Hell, I'd have been happy to see that last year.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
TSN Overdrive July 11 Podcast

Johnsson Matthews Nylander
Mikheyev Tavares Marner
Moore Kerfoot Kapanen
Agostino/Petan Spezza Shore

Muzzin Barrie
Rielly Ceci
Holl/Borgman Marincin/Dermott

"Balance makes the most sense when it comes to the defense".

"They seem to be rehabilitating Ceci. They think they can get more out of him then what we've seen in OTT."

"I don't see them playing Sandin or Liljgren. I just don't think they are ready."

"I really think the 3rd pairing will see very little ice time. They will likely load up the minutes with the top 2 pairs."

13 forwards not including Hyman.
5 players being paid under 1 million AAV.

What do you think?

I think despite Dermott and Hyman out for the first part of the season, they will still make 1 or 2 more moves before the season begins.
Seein Marincins name on the roster still makes me giggle.

member 300185

It's not looking great for that draft pick, and hasn't for a while, but to be fair Korshkov's development has been hampered by serious injuries. I think there's still a glimmer of hope there. But only a glimmer.
I think most here were disgusted with that pick wasted on this kid while there were so many good players still on the board at the time.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Good points in the article. It makes sense to have Muzzin - Barrie on the top pairing against top composition. Also having Barrie on the top PP as he has a good shot from the point and gives the pp another option instead of Rielly always passing it.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
It's a nice problem to have but it's also kinda unfortunate that with Barrie now in the mix we have 6 bonafide #1 powerplay quality guys and only 5 spots.

Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Barrie

You cannot have them all out on 1 unit. Someone is getting screwed in that setup.

Pull the goalie on the PP and go with those 6...problem solved.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
To start the year up front:

Nylander-Matthews-Kapanen
Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Moore-Kerfoot-Bracco
Mikheyev-Spezza-Marchment

Bracco and Kerfoot on the same line is redundant overusage of two pass first players on the same line which would stunt both of their production. Better odds he comes up with say, Engvall, as 4th line center replacing Spezza in 2020-2021, after a year of focusing on Bracco's 2-way play so he can carry himself on a NHL roster. Or it might make sense for Bracco to replace Nylander who could be sold high after a comeback year so that a high q of defense with Barrie+Muzzin etc. can be maintained on the blueline.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I'd go with

Moore-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Petan-Spezza-Timashov/Engvall

Muzzin Barrie
Rielly Ceci (Ceci dealt at the TDL for a defensive D-man)
Rosen Liljegren
xxx

ROSEN, don't you mean Hainsey?

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Bracco and Kerfoot on the same line is redundant overusage of two pass first players on the same line which would stunt both of their production. Better odds he comes up with say, Engvall, as 4th line center replacing Spezza in 2020-2021, after a year of focusing on Bracco's 2-way play so he can carry himself on a NHL roster. Or it might make sense for Bracco to replace Nylander who could be sold high after a comeback year so that a high q of defense with Barrie+Muzzin etc. can be maintained on the blueline.
I dont think 2 pass first guys together is such a bad thing...High IQ players receiving high IQ passes is a good thing not a bad thing. Yeah they might over pass some plays but they will also probably have the puck a ton because they wont just throw it away.

Once Hyman is back Bracco will fall out of the top 9 anyways and a 4th line roll may or may not be good for his development.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Like tossing spaghetti against the wall and see what sticks. :)

Yeah.

Even the forwards with the new bodies I think is a "let's see if this works ..."

Injuries and unsigned players to start the season:

Mikheyev - Matthews - Nylander

Moore - Tavares - Marner
or
Johnsson - Tavares - Kapanen

Johnsson - Kerfoot - Kapanen
or
Moore - Kerfoot - Spezza

Marchment - Gauthier - Korshkov
or
Agostino - Spezza - Korshkov

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Barrie
Borgman / Kivihalme - Lindgren / Liljegren

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
So who's filling out the rest of the third and fourth line?

Aberg
Gaudet
Wilson
Gravel
Shore
Kossila
Agostino
Wilson

???

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
So who's filling out the rest of the third and fourth line?

Aberg
Gaudet
Wilson
Gravel
Shore
Kossila
Agostino
Wilson

???
Sounds like they'll fight it out at camp. With Hyman out to start the year, there will be one extra spot too... I'd go Shore, Agostino spezza on the 4th line. Agostino/shore can PK and spezza on the PP

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
To start the season, with Hyman out and Kapanen up in the top 6 replacing him, I'm going to say to bottom 6 is.

Moore
Kerfoot
Mikheyev
Spezza
Agastino
Shore
Gauthier (as the 13th forward)

The only thing I could see changing this is Mikheyev being such a natural fit with Matthews and Nylander that Kapanen plays on the 3rd line with Kerfoot and Moore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad