Line Combos: The Athletic's James Mirtle pencils TOR's roster

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Harpur is awful. He shouldn't even get a sniff at the NHL.

Also, I'm not so convinced Gauthier is better than Shore.

He was playing on two terrible Ottawa teams. Nobody on their defense really looked good outside of Chabot. I'd let him and Borgman fight out for the #6 job throughout the year and see if one of them can run with it. Better than using older guys who are guaranteed to not be much better IMO.

Also Gauthier is better than Shore. Without a doubt. Shore looks good on paper, but he plays like an NHL/AHL tweener, so he'll be a perfect replacement for Mueller. The Marlies need exactly that, so that is likely why they decided to bring him in. Meanwhile you have Gauthier who can handle the defensive responsibilities as a 4C while Spezza can focus more offensively as a winger (specifically RW) with Moore/Agostino/Petan on his LW. Gauthier as a lefty can split the draws with Spezza as a righty.

Reactions: Eb

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He was playing on two terrible Ottawa teams. Nobody on their defense really looked good outside of Chabot. I'd let him and Borgman fight out for the #6 job throughout the year and see if one of them can run with it. Better than using older guys who are guaranteed to not be much better IMO.

Harpur, other than being being big, really doesn't seem to be particularly good at anything.
There are a bunch of solid veteran depth defensemen unsigned who as free agency drags on are only going to become cheaper and cheaper to sign. I'd prefer to see them go that route.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I think it's mostly common sense. at least in terms of which bodies are involved.
I have some issues with combinations personally.
I don't see Johnsson with Matthews and Nylander. I think Johnsson/Kerfoot/Kapanen is likely going to be a line and that one of Moore or Mikheyev actually brings an element to the Matthews/Nylander line where Johnsson doesn't really add anything.

I'm still hopeful that as FA drags on with some of these guys out there unsigned that we might be able to nab a depth D or two for cheap to round things out and keep guys like Holl and Marincin out of the lineup.

You don't think a young fast 2nd year player who scored 20 goals as a rookie adds to a line?? I disagree.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It’s smart to go into camp thinking the kids on D aren’t “ready” and have full contingencies. If one of them has an excellent camp and makes it impossible to send down, fantastic. Slotting a spot for one of the kids was always a risky proposition, and I’ve always felt the team will go with the Dermott model....push at camp, come up just shy, go down to the AHL and dominate, then come up mid season if warranted.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Also Gauthier is better than Shore. Without a doubt. Shore looks good on paper, but he plays like an NHL/AHL tweener, so he'll be a perfect replacement for Mueller. The Marlies need exactly that, so that is likely why they decided to bring him in. Meanwhile you have Gauthier who can handle the defensive responsibilities as a 4C while Spezza can focus more offensively as a winger (specifically RW) with Moore/Agostino/Petan on his LW. Gauthier as a lefty can split the draws with Spezza as a righty.
Well, they looked bad because it was a collection of dreadful players. That's a large reason why the team was so bad to begin with. That they were so bad was the only reason Harpur even won a job, and you can still make the argument that he didn't deserve it.

We're talking about the arguably worst player on the arguably worst part of an arguably historically bad team.

As for Shore, he looks plenty good off paper too. Very smart player, routinely makes good decisions with the puck, kills space for opponents, and supports his linemates perfectly. He brings everything that Gauthier does, except he can also make some way-winning plays.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You don't think a young fast 2nd year player who scored 20 goals as a rookie adds to a line?? I disagree.

You're twisting what I said. I don't think he adds to THAT line. I think him on a line with Kerfoot/Kapanen and against lessened competition because of it is a better scenario for him AND his linemates. I think Mikheyev, in theory, if his game translates, adds an element to the Matthews/Nylander line that Johnsson doesn't.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It’s smart to go into camp thinking the kids on D aren’t “ready” and have full contingencies. If one of them has an excellent camp and makes it impossible to send down, fantastic. Slotting a spot for one of the kids was always a risky proposition, and I’ve always felt the team will go with the Dermott model....push at camp, come up just shy, go down to the AHL and dominate, then come up mid season if warranted.

I agree completely. We fancy ourselves a contender this year. We should be shoring up every position. If a young kid wants to make a decision difficult for us in camp, that's terrific, but we should not be leaving spots just open for the taking like that.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I agree completely. We fancy ourselves a contender this year. We should be shoring up every position. If a young kid wants to make a decision difficult for us in camp, that's terrific, but we should not be leaving spots just open for the taking like that.
Exactly.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
He wasn't that good with the Marlies in his short stint and probably needs more time. I'd be shocked if he was on the Leafs early in the season... but maybe at some point he gets called up.

He's suffered some pretty serious leg injuries the past couple seasons. I think it's in everyones interest if he goes to the Marlies for awhile and plays big minutes if possible.

It's not looking great for that draft pick, and hasn't for a while, but to be fair Korshkov's development has been hampered by serious injuries. I think there's still a glimmer of hope there. But only a glimmer.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Our top two lines should be set in stone once the season starts and injuries have cleared up:

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner

The bottom two lines need to be sorted out. And I think personally we are better there this year starting then last. Take the best 4 out of the list below to put on Kerfoot and Spezza flanks:

Micheylev, Moore, Kapanen, Shore, Augostino, Marchment, Koroshov, Bracco

I really like the depth of our team up front this season. Dubas has done a great job.

I still think that he should get a couple of vet D on PTO for training camp. Our bottom pair needs a vet presence. Will be an interesting couple of weeks. Something will be done.

Reactions: Eb and 54thecup

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Always err on the side if caution.
Stop pencilling in kids that haven’t played in the NHL yet as the solution.
Same with Dermott. Even though he has done experience, he’s never played top 4 (and on his offside).

You need a stable top 3 or 4 D with genuine NHL experience in hard situations for these kids. Or disaster can happen. And fast.

Reactions: Sypher04

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Same with Dermott. Even though he has done experience, he’s never played top 4 (and on his offside).

You need a stable top 3 or 4 D with genuine NHL experience in hard situations for these kids. Or disaster can happen. And fast.

Yup and it helps to ensure you're prepared for pretty much inevitable injuries you're going to to suffer too.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yup and it helps to ensure you're prepared for pretty much inevitable injuries you're going to to suffer too.
For now and the playoffs.
It’s very unlikely that teams that win the Cup aren’t hurting is some way, shape of form. A lot of guys finish the marathon at 60% full power. And that’s a lot for guys with zero 82 game experience.
Having a Rielly/Muzzin/Barrie top end is critical.

Reactions: Sypher04

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Who ever takes that wing with Matthews will need to be a guy who can pass the puck to Matthews, AM gets cranky when his linemates hog the puck. ;)

That's what makes Hyman such a good linemate and teammate. Regardless if he is playing with Auston and Willy or JT and Mitch, he knows his role and his job is to get the puck and pass it to his teammates and go to the net hard.

Pass not shot it.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Agreed. It also puts way to much pressure on the kids to succeed.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
That's what makes Hyman such a good linemate and teammate. Regardless if he is playing with Auston and Willy or JT and Mitch, he knows his role and his job is to get the puck and pass it to his teammates and go to the net hard.

Pass not shot it.

Funny enough, I don't think passing the puck off to his linemates after he's retrieved it is a strength at all of Hyman's game.

Reactions: Eye Test

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I don't really have any expectations set for Mikheyev at all, but just imagine he did go into the lineup alongside Matthews/Nylander and he absolutely ripped it up with them. How do you even defend at that point...

Tavares, Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Mikheyev, and when our top guys are done with you. Kerfoot/Johnsson/Kapanen coming to eat your depth guys alive lol
Rielly and Barrie coming at your from the D too

Funny thing is most of this assured. Even without Mikheyev being a factor this team is scary good up front.

Reactions: Eb and Havoc

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Our top two lines should be set in stone once the season starts and injuries have cleared up:

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner

The bottom two lines need to be sorted out. And I think personally we are better there this year starting then last..

Salary cap $$ aside since we're talking BETTER here..

If you had a choice between Kadri, Marleau, Brown and Ennis vs Kerfoot, Spezza, Shore, Augostino, that you think the later make us better?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Salary cap $$ aside since we're talking BETTER here..

If you had a choice between Kadri, Marleau, Brown and Ennis vs Kerfoot, Spezza, Shore, Augostino, that you think the later make us better?

2018/19 Kadri, 2018/19 Marleau?
Kerfoot can more or less replace most of what Kadri did for us this season as a 3C, minus a bit of physicality and ill-timed suspensions
Spezza, Shore and Agostino vs Marleau, Brown and Ennis feels like a wash. One might argue that Shore and Agostino being more clearly defined role players could tilt this toward that group.

We should however expect improvement from all of Kerfoot, Johnsson & Kapanen as they are all pretty fresh still as NHLers.

Also, I think his comment about being better was overall related to the roster. Not specific to bottom 6 forwards.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Is there a reason why Korshkov is not in anyones lineups? I did not watch the Marlies playoff run at all but figured he was a shoe in for this year.

I am pretty sure they don't know what they have with him yet. The KHL seems to be a skilled league but not played at a fast tempo. Guys like Kalinen and Kontiola are successful KHL scorers who were not effective in the AHL. A guy like Kozun is a solid AHL player, but a star in the K. Then there is the spotty use of younger players on a lot of KHL clubs. Don't get your hopes up but Korshkov scored as much as Gusev at 20 and 21 years of age and then he got wrecked again. EK has now played 35 total games since his injury so with a successful summer of training we should get our first chance in training camp to see if he has the legs to be an NHL player.

I expect a full season with the Marlies for them to sort out what kind of role his offensive skills will allow him to play. With Mueller, Carcone, Greening and Moore moving on from the club there should be some great opportunities for new players to step up.

Igor Eronko✔@IgorEronko
Korshkov has never been used in a role where he could develop into a legit top-6 F. He's skilled, he's strong and powerful, sometimes a beast on the boards, he's a good skater with an accurate wrist shot and there's a bit of a playmaker in him. He could become a great 3rd-liner​

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Right now I want to see:

Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Mikheyev-Matthews-Nylander
Petan-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Moore-Spezza-Anybody

To start the year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad