Toronto
Nylander - Matthews - Marner
Johnsson - Tavares - Kapanen
Moore - Kerfoot - Hyman
Mikheyev - Spezza - Aberg

Rielly - Barrie
Muzzin - Ceci
Dermott - Liljigren

I'm OK with Liljigren starting for the Marlies, especially if Dermott doesn't start the season... but this is what I'd like to see by Christmas.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Nylander - Matthews - Marner
Johnsson - Tavares - Kapanen
Moore - Kerfoot - Hyman
Mikheyev - Spezza - Aberg

Rielly - Barrie
Muzzin - Ceci
Dermott - Liljigren

I'm OK with Liljigren starting for the Marlies, especially if Dermott doesn't start the season... but this is what I'd like to see by Christmas.
why put your two gifted offensive dmen together when you also have two #1 lines?

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
why put your two gifted offensive dmen together when you also have two #1 lines?
mainly because I want Rielly and Barrie to have the most ice time. babcock can use muzzin and ceci on the PK and for defensive zone faceoffs.

edit: only other option is Rielly - Ceci ... and that would involve giving Ceci way too much ice time. better to put your two top defenders on the top line and give them lots of ice time.

edit 2: and I don't have two #1 lines if you look at my line combos. The Matthews line is the #1 line, and the Tavares line is the #2 line. Tavares is obviously a #1 center... but Kapanen and Johnsson are both 2nd or 3rd line wingers. Matthews, Marner, and Nylander are all top line guys. So that's the clear #1 line. I wish we just had this combo for the last 3 years. We need to have a stacked line. The other lines are still going to be good because we're so deep... but let's try to make a line that will actually dominate everyone almost every shift.

Last edited:
Reactions: hobarth

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
To start the season, with Hyman out and Kapanen up in the top 6 replacing him, I'm going to say to bottom 6 is.

Moore
Kerfoot
Mikheyev
Spezza
Agastino
Shore
Gauthier (as the 13th forward)

The only thing I could see changing this is Mikheyev being such a natural fit with Matthews and Nylander that Kapanen plays on the 3rd line with Kerfoot and Moore.

Other darkhorses to make the team are Bracco and Korshkov, but better to let them ripen in the AHL and you are probably right, NHL experience will be needed on that bottom 6.

Moore - We know what he brings, could replace Hyman during injury due to style of play
Kerfoot - Reports say he has played more wing than centre at NHL level, but is a natural centre with a pass first mentality.
Mikheyev - UNKNOWN -Could be a really good fit anywhere in the lineup or a bust, but we will have to see what we have here. Cool video on YouTUBE has be excited though.
Spezza - 36 YEARS OLD. Played on a offensively inept Stars team last season, could enjoy a bounce back year to 35-40 point range with PP time. Good at face-offs. Always suspect defensively but if he keeps winning face-offs it shouldn't matter.
Agastino-Gud hard working pro. Hits. Has offensive acumen from junior and AHL days, but hasn't translated to NHL yet
Shore - No clue, bit of an unknown to me. Pencilled on to be LA's third line centre a scant 2 years ago, hasn't lived up to expectations. "2 way centre with good vision and IQ" Looks like a defensive player either 4th or Marlies
Gauthier "(as the 13th forward) " yup probs....good chess buddy on long flights.

Pontus Aberg - If leafs hold on to this guy, in a few years they could have Pontus Holmberg. Pontus Aberg and sign Victor Stalberg to a PTO.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Other darkhorses to make the team are Bracco and Korshkov, but better to let them ripen in the AHL and you are probably right, NHL experience will be needed on that bottom 6.

Moore - We know what he brings, could replace Hyman during injury due to style of play
Kerfoot - Reports say he has played more wing than centre at NHL level, but is a natural centre with a pass first mentality.
Mikheyev - UNKNOWN -Could be a really good fit anywhere in the lineup or a bust, but we will have to see what we have here. Cool video on YouTUBE has be excited though.
Spezza - 36 YEARS OLD. Played on a offensively inept Stars team last season, could enjoy a bounce back year to 35-40 point range with PP time. Good at face-offs. Always suspect defensively but if he keeps winning face-offs it shouldn't matter.
Agastino-Gud hard working pro. Hits. Has offensive acumen from junior and AHL days, but hasn't translated to NHL yet
Shore - No clue, bit of an unknown to me. Pencilled on to be LA's third line centre a scant 2 years ago, hasn't lived up to expectations. "2 way centre with good vision and IQ" Looks like a defensive player either 4th or Marlies
Gauthier "(as the 13th forward) " yup probs....good chess buddy on long flights.

Pontus Aberg - If leafs hold on to this guy, in a few years they could have Pontus Holmberg. Pontus Aberg and sign Victor Stalberg to a PTO.

Korshkov isn't even a dark horse. He isn't remotely close to NHL ready.

Reactions: Nylander88

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Johnnson - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Moore - Spezza - Aberg

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Barrie
Dermott - Liljegren

Andersen
Neuvirth

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
When healthy:
(Agostino isn't afraid to get in there,Matthews and Nylander thrive with a guy that gets them the puck back. 24 points in 63 games last year, could be a 40 point guy like Hyman if playing with studs)

Agostino-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Mikheyev/Aberg/Wilson-Spezza-Moore

Muzzin-Barrie
Rielly-Ceci
Dermott-Schmaltz/Harpur

Andersen
Neuvirth

Dang I'm excited about this team. Going to be fun this year watching the battles in camp. Been a few years since we've truly had any spots up for grabs

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Mikheyev Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Tavares Marner
Hyman Kerfoot Kapanen
Moore Spezza Bracco

Rielly Girardi
Muzzin Barrie
Dermott Ceci

Andersen
Hutch

Ad