Speculation: The Athletic: NHL Trade Deadline Big Board: Clayton Keller #6

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think that Carolina would be the club that would give the best Keller package of any NHL team. They have a rare combination of a great farm and a contending club. One problem with making a deal with Anaheim is that they'll have a LOT of untouchables because of their current situation as a rebuilding club. With Carolina, OTOH, prospects are more like premium chips that are dealable for the right player and contract. You can basically pick three forward prospects, a 1st, and maybe Brady Skjei, and make a fair deal. Say, something like this:

Brady Skjei
Dominik Bokk
David Cotton
Ryan Suzuki
2020 1st Round Pick

for

Clayton Keller
How bad is Skjei now? Could I replace two of those forward prospects with Jarvis?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
How bad is Skjei now? Could I replace two of those forward prospects with Jarvis?

I think it's your obligation to demand that two of those pieces be replaced with Jarvis, actually. He's trying to poach Keller with a bunch of relative scraps.

rt

May 13, 2004
Do the Rangers have cap or roster space for another $7M LW?
Keller would fit under their cap if they included Brendan Smith as a cap-dump. He's an ideal dump for Arizona because his cash liability is low due to an already paid bonus, and he has an expiring contract.

The Rangers go from over 12 million in dead-cap due to buyouts this season to something like 4m next season. So they find their Keller space next year just like that.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Keller would fit under their cap if they included Brendan Smith as a cap-dump. He's an ideal dump for Arizona because his cash liability is low due to an already paid bonus, and he has an expiring contract.

The Rangers go from over 12 million in dead-cap due to buyouts this season to something like 4m next season. So they find their Keller space next year just like that.

They have Zibanejad, Kakko, Lafreniere, Buchnevich, Fox, Miller, Shesterkin extensions in the next few years to worry about. I would assume they'd be looking to send Kreider back.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Comtois has been our best forward this season and while I completely understand why you'd want him, it doesn't make much sense for us to move him. We'd be looking to add Keller to our core, and Comtois is really the only one who has stepped up this season. Any other pieces attractive enough to make a deal work?

rt

May 13, 2004
Comtois has been our best forward this season and while I completely understand why you'd want him, it doesn't make much sense for us to move him. We'd be looking to add Keller to our core, and Comtois is really the only one who has stepped up this season. Any other pieces attractive enough to make a deal work?
Obviously Zegras and Drysdale are out. So I figured Comtois was in that next tier down. I guess an unprotected 1st for this year is too big of a gamble for Anaheim.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Obviously Zegras and Drysdale are out. So I figured Comtois was in that next tier down. I guess an unprotected 1st for this year is too big of a gamble for Anaheim.

Would Steel be of any interest for either side? The fact that he hasn't been able to take a step forward in the NHL is a little concerning, but I also don't follow Anaheim at all. Otherwise, does Perreault do anything either?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Yeah, though those 4 pieces are probably about the only ones I'd leave off the table. I get it though if nothing else we have is enticing enough.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I feel like Keller would be a good fit with San Jose.

Would they trade Labanc as a cheaper replacement for Keller and some kind of futures for him or something like that?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
So they trade him for picks, get a good young player, then trade them in 5 years when they have to pay them? When does the cycle break? You don't move 22 year old players for draft picks unless you think they misjudged their ability.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I like Keller a lot. I wanted the devils to draft him but he didn’t fall enough. I don’t think I would be willing to part with the high end assets that Arizona would ask for. Nj already has a similar player in jesper bratt. Nj needs defenseman anyways

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

Skjei is a good player. It's a give-to-get proposition. Canes have a ton of good defenders due to Jake Bean's emergence. Also, Cotton/Suzuki/Bokk aren't fringe prospects. All of them IMO have NHL projectability and the latter two should be complimentary top-6 guys if they hit their peak.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I think it's your obligation to demand that two of those pieces be replaced with Jarvis, actually. He's trying to poach Keller with a bunch of relative scraps.

Suzuki and Bokk both have high-ceilings and were both late 1st-rounders. Neither are what you would call "scraps". Cotton IMO is also a good bet to become an NHLer, albeit a lower-ceiling one.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Suzuki and Bokk both have high-ceilings and were both late 1st-rounders. Neither are what you would call "scraps". Cotton IMO is also a good bet to become an NHLer, albeit a lower-ceiling one.

I think you're being very generous in your evaluations, and I think Arizona is correct to ask for Jarvis instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad