Speculation: The Athletic: NHL Trade Deadline Big Board: Clayton Keller #6

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
6. Clayton Keller, Coyotes:
One source pointed at a possible Keller trade as a way for the Coyotes to get back some of the draft picks they’ve lost via trade and league punishment. He has a no-trade clause that kicks in after the 2023-24 season, so there’s a window to move him. He also has an actual salary that increases as his deal matures. “This is a team with no picks,” pointed out the source. “(Keller is) the kind of player another team might be willing to take even with that salary because they see the high-end, first-round pick.” If you’re a team with financial flexibility looking for scoring, this is an intriguing option.

I am not so sure I agree with Craig Custance, here. I don't necessarily believe that Clayton Keller is available. He is only 22 years old, and is currently tied with Nick Schmaltz for 5th in team scoring. Each player has 6g 8a 14p in 21gp.

While a 0.67ppg average is certainly underperforming for a player with a long-term $7.15aav contract, he does play for the Coyotes. Points are hard to come by on that team (they have the 5th worst goals per game in the NHL). Also, again, he's only 22 years old.

Having said that, he does have the 2nd largest contract on his team, his trade protection hasn't kicked in yet (they were recently burned by this in trying to trade OEL) and the Coyotes clearly need a change. They have a .500 P% this season, which isn't awful. But they're combined P% under Rick Tocchet over the last four seasons (this season and last season being only partial seasons) is .492.

The point is that there has been a ton of turmoil and a ton of turnover in the desert the last four years, but the results are stagnant. They just seem stuck with averaging around one point per game, which is a terrible place to be.

So while I don't think Keller is really available, I do think that his being listed as one of the top trade Targets by the Athletic is at least worth discussing. Given that his current GM didn't draft him, didn't give him that contract, and has a roster that's not getting results.

So what would HFBoarders offer for Clayton Keller?

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Don’t see any reason why Arizona would move him? He should be their 2nd most untouchable behind Chychurn.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Can he bring in a d'man to pair with Chychrun? Perhaps to a team deciding whom to protect from the Kracken.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AZ is a mess of a team that can't score. He might be struggling, but he is a scoring threat.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Will anyone pay top assets for that contract? Seems unlikely

He's cost controlled for basically his entire prime. On a dogshit team, he still puts up points and can score. With a better organization, it's not unlikely that he gets to a PPG or near there.

A good 22yo that is locked up is not something that hits the market often.

Reactions: GoJackets1

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
Good player but I think his contract will limit the return or teams that would be interested.

A risk for sure.

But his contract could also look really good if the league's revenue rebounds, and he continues on an upward trajectory.

I think he is the X factor there in AZ. Their current future is basically Keller, Garland, Dvorak, and Chychrun. Maybe Hayton and a couple of other prospects also become notable in a year or two. Otherwise, they should just keep them, otherwise where is the offense going to come from in 2-3 years?

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
It's funny that for a hard cap league the NHL fanbase is miles behind the MLB in using production per $ as a metric. Other than as a rental you theoretically should never give up an asset when you can buy the same production for the same or less on the open market

Here's a quick list of the same production for the same or less money this off season why give up assets or be tied into 6-7 years term?

Nuge
Krejci
Stasny
Dubinsky
Granlund
Wennberg

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
Don’t see any reason why Arizona would move him? He should be their 2nd most untouchable behind Chychurn.
I'd rate Dvorak and Garland above him, too. He's neck-and-neck with Schmaltz. I think he's a better asset, but Schmaltz has been playing center and doing a pretty good job of it.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Watching him get knocked around like a toy during the two recent Avs games, I'd be hesitant to gamble high value futures on him.

That said, if I was heavy on $$$ allocation at another position, a hockey trade would make sense for sure.

rt

May 13, 2004
What are the coyotes looking for in a return here?
It's a good question. The unnamed NHL source in the article seems to believe they would want draft picks.

I personally suspect prospects and young players would be valued similarly to draft picks by the Coyotes, as long as Bill Armstrong and Darryl Plandowski think highly of them.

rt

May 13, 2004
Watching him get knocked around like a toy during the two recent Avs games, I'd be hesitant to gamble high value futures on him.

That said, if I was heavy on $$$ allocation at another position, a hockey trade would make sense for sure.
Were there any Coyotes that weren't toyed with and knocked silly by the Avs, going all the way back to the bubble? Every player on the Coyotes roster looks like a peewee against Colorado. That's one area in which Keller is in no way special. :)

Reactions: AslanRH

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Eh i’d rather not. I like the player but he’s payed too muchb

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Trade makes sense. Time to rebuild the rebuild and he might bring some decent assets back plus shed some contract.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I have nothing to offer from my team. Not that he's a bad player, he just simply can't fit anywhere into our salary structure.

I have no idea what his market is, he's young but he's overpaid especially with the cap staying in place for 3 years. My guess is Coyotes try to make things work because they likely return won't be great.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->