The Athletic - 2018/19 NHL Farm system rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Bjork, Grezlcyk, Czarnik, Subban, Kuraly and Donato are NHLers ? Lets tone it down a bit there.

Let's see:

Bjork was on the opening roster last year and got hurt.
Czarnik just signed a one-way contract
Subban spent the entire year in the NHL
So did Kuraly
Grezlck was called up mid-season and never went back down and played every playoff game then signed a two-year, one-way contract
Donato scored 9 points in 12 games at the end of the year after leaving college and was 2nd in the Olympics in goals.

All those guys are NHLers.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
High caliber is a stretch, they had good rookie seasons, no doubt, but high caliber? I don't think so.

Other than Butcher of course.

You're reading off the wrong list. Which of Donato, McAvoy, Debrusk and Heinen isn't/wasn't a high calibre prospect?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Let's see:

Bjork was on the opening roster last year and got hurt.
Czarnik just signed a one-way contract
Subban spent the entire year in the NHL
So did Kuraly
Grezlck was called up mid-season and never went back down and played every playoff game then signed a two-year, one-way contract
Donato scored 9 points in 12 games at the end of the year after leaving college and was 2nd in the Olympics in goals.

All those guys are NHLers.
I guess they're poor nhl'ers? Aside from Donato and maybe Kuraly ?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Pittsburgh should probably be last, of these teams at least. Maybe ahead of Washington.

I dont see Pittsburgh as having a better pool than Winnipeg, Boston, Tampa.

The Pens top 5 prospects are actually quite good, and diverse. The top end depth falls off after that though.

Worth noting that the Pens prospect pool has been perennially underrated, with guys like Rust, Guentzel, and Murray getting little attention.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The Pens top 5 prospects are actually quite good, and diverse. The top end depth falls off after that though.

Worth noting that the Pens prospect pool has been perennially underrated, with guys like Rust, Guentzel, and Murray getting little attention.
True, theres good quality, but the same can be said of every team.

Tampa has good top end, Washington has some interesting prospects, Winnipeg probably has the best top two left here, Boston has good depth and good top two, etc.

Pittsburgh has Sprong, Bellerive, Addisson and Hallander that are really nice. But the depth after that isnt that tremendous.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Just out of curiosity, who do you project as the better player going forward: Donato or DeBrusk?

Donato has some crazy offensive instincts but Debrusk can score too and he does all the little things, so I'll go with him. He was a force in the playoffs before he got hurt.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Pronman values top level talent over depth, so it makes sense Boston is close to the bottom. Boston has no blue chippers on their team outside of maybe donato (although pronman doesn’t think so). The more important list and which never really gets officially ranked, just thrown at the bottom, is the top 10 23 and under. That’s where Boston has a pretty good squad.

Mcavoy
Pastrnak
Debrusk
Bjork
Donato
Vaakananien
Forsbacka karlsson
Carlo
Heinen
Frederic

So sure Boston’s farm system isn’t great right now. But that’s because half of last years prospects are nhlers now. It’ll take a couple years to get back in the top 10, particularly if they keep trading their 1st rounder.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I think it's hard on Boston(donato), Winnipeg(vesalienen) and Nashville.(Fabbro, tolvanen)

Pittsburgh and SJ should be bottom 5

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Agree on SJ and Pittsburgh.

Id add TO to that I think, maybe CBJ?
I'm a leafs fan so I'm biased... but definitely not Toronto.
We have Johansson, dark horse Calder candidate,
Liljeren, top 10-15 defensive prospect, probably top pairing AHL as a 19 year old this season
Sandin is a great prospect as well.
Kapanen, Sparks, Bracco...it's a deep pool with a legit top end.

Want 2 more to add?
Aniheim and Montreal (yes even with kotai-whatever)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm a leafs fan so I'm biased... but definitely not Toronto.
We have Johansson, dark horse Calder candidate,
Liljeren, top 10-15 defensive prospect, probably top pairing AHL as a 19 year old this season
Sandin is a great prospect as well.
Kapanen, Sparks, Bracco...it's a deep pool with a legit top end.

Want 2 more to add?
Aniheim and Montreal (yes even with kotai-whatever)
Kapanen isnt eligible anymore.
Johnsson is nice but most team have similar.
Sandin is okay, mostly a 2nd round talent.
Bracco is good.
SDA is good too.
Liljegren is good too.

Most teams have those prospects but better though.

Just in comparison, Montreal has
Kotkaniemi>Johnsson
Poehling>Bracco
SDA=Fonstad
Liljegren=Juulsen
Sandin=Brook
Sparks=Lindgren
Scherback>Johnsson

Then you can add Ylonen, Primeau, Fleury, Romanov, Hillis, McNiven...

I agree on Anaheim but they have better top end than TO

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Tampa at 30 is bad. I agree that they don't have the high end talent that a lot of teams but they still have a ton of depth. They were the youngest team in the AHL last year and went to the Eastern conference semifinals losing to the eventual Calder winners. The team was led by thier rookies. They were ranked 7th last year and didn't graduate anyone only traded Howden and Hajek. They are a little thin at C and G but they have some of the best wing depth in the league as well as RD. Like I said they don't have any sure fire top pair or top line players but a lot who should be solid NHL players. I would put them mid pack then 2nd worst.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Uhhhh, the top 3 guys are high caliber prospects.
Your definition of high-caliber definitely differs from mine, but yes 3-4 of the guys you listed are legit. It’s no worth making a big deal over most of the rest though. Just getting a cup of coffee at 23-25 isn’t pushing a prospect pool up the rankings. Looking at Boston’s top 10 right now, it’s definitely a bottom ~5 pool.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Those 6 make sense. All have very competitive rosters now, and have a good mix chunk of youth on the roster already. Washington, in my opinion, being in the least favorable situation going forward. They just won they cup though and have had a strong team for the better part of a decade, so that is to be expected.
lol Calgary competitive?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
OP edited to add columbus and anaheim. Also added a numbered ranking to edit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad