The Athletic - 2018/19 NHL Farm system rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Only the last 6 released so far. Washington, Tampa, Calgary, Winnipeg, Boston and Nashville round out the worst farm systems in the league.
They'll release more daily.

Ranking
31 Washington
30 Tampa
29 Calgary
28 Winnipeg
27 Boston
26 Nashville
25 Columbus
24 Anaheim
23. Pittsburgh
22. Edmonton
21. Colorado
20. New Jersey
19. Toronto maple leafs
18. Minnesota wild
17. San jose
16. Dallas
15. Arizona
14. Chicago
13. Ottawa
12. Phuladelphia
11. New York rangers
10. Los Angeles Kings
9. Florida
8. Las Vegas
7. Detroit
6. Montreal
5. New York islanders

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrb1p

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Those 6 make sense. All have very competitive rosters now, and have a good mix chunk of youth on the roster already. Washington, in my opinion, being in the least favorable situation going forward. They just won they cup though and have had a strong team for the better part of a decade, so that is to be expected.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Makes more sense than having Tampa and Boston in the top 12 like some other rankings did
Well every writer and scout has their own preferences.

But Yeah, most of those teams have good young teams. I think having Boston and Winnipeg d9wn there puts them in a rather precarious position though. They both have key players on the downside of their careers. Tgeir window may be shorter than you think. They may never really get a window.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Those 6 make sense. All have very competitive rosters now, and have a good mix chunk of youth on the roster already. Washington, in my opinion, being in the least favorable situation going forward. They just won they cup though and have had a strong team for the better part of a decade, so that is to be expected.
Agree, somewhat.

Jets' non-NHL prospects have declined a bit, but their under-23 is absolutely stacked.

Laine
Connor
Ehlers
Morrissey
Roslovic
Niku
Vesalainen
Petan
Appleton
Lemieux
Samberg

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Agree, somewhat.

Jets' non-NHL prospects have declined a bit, but their under-23 is absolutely stacked.

Laine
Connor
Ehlers
Morrissey
Roslovic
Niku
Vesalainen
Petan
Appleton
Lemieux
Samberg

I think it goes without saying really. The Jets are goodbecause theyve recently graduated a bunch of high picks/good prospects. Now theyre going to be drafting later and have trouble stocking the cupboard again.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I think it goes without saying really. The Jets are goodbecause theyve recently graduated a bunch of high picks/good prospects. Now theyre going to be drafting later and have trouble stocking the cupboard again.

which is a good thing if you're a contending team

Reactions: BHD

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Agree, somewhat.

Laine
Connor
Ehlers
Morrissey
Roslovic
Niku
Vesalainen
Petan
Appleton
Lemieux
Samberg

Absolutely, but the only ones on that list that are still considered prospects aren't guys that really make you excited. It isn't an issue at all for the Jets, because all the top guys have graduated and are on the big club.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the main concern is whether they keep their draft picks. They traded their 1st last season to rent Stastny at the TDL. They can't afford to do that and restock, and I expect that they'll try to hang onto picks. They have a stellar scouting record, so I think they'll still get good talent with their picks. Vesalainen (#23 overall) and Samberg (#43) from 2016 both look like terrific prospects, with Vesalainen showing potential as a top-6 forward. Amateur scouting will be of greater importance now, as they've moved into the upper echelon of the league.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Absolutely, but the only ones on that list that are still considered prospects aren't guys that really make you excited. It isn't an issue at all for the Jets, because all the top guys have graduated and are on the big club.
Vesalainen is a top talent. He had a sensational D+1 season in the Finnish Liiga, and would have chewed up the recent World Junior Summer Showcase if he had participated. He has some star qualities, and most independent scouting groups rank him as a top 20-25 prospect in the entire NHL. Niku was the AHL defenseman of the year, as a 21 year old rookie. He has star qualities as a high production defenseman.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think the main concern is whether they keep their draft picks. They traded their 1st last season to rent Stastny at the TDL. They can't afford to do that and restock, and I expect that they'll try to hang onto picks. They have a stellar scouting record, so I think they'll still get good talent with their picks. Vesalainen (#23 overall) and Samberg (#43) from 2016 both look like terrific prospects, with Vesalainen showing potential as a top-6 forward. Amateur scouting will be of greater importance now, as they've moved into the upper echelon of the league.

Honestly they can afford some rentals the next few years. Their young core is ridiculous, a prospect pool doesnt win you cups and a lot of the time 25th or later picks (where the jets will be picking) dont pan out anyways

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Nashville had a big drop, falling from 3rd last year to 26th this year. Boston went from 10th to 27th. Calgary being so low must be concerning for Flames fans, although they have a fairly young team. But similar to the Jets, they have some core pieces getting older (Giordano, Brodie vs Wheeler, Byfuglien)

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Vesalainen is a top talent. He had a sensational D+1 season in the Finnish Liiga, and would have chewed up the recent World Junior Summer Showcase if he had participated. He has some star qualities, and most independent scouting groups rank him as a top 20-25 prospect in the entire NHL. Niku was the AHL defenseman of the year, as a 21 year old rookie. He has star qualities as a high production defenseman.
Vesalainen certainly has potential to be an impact player, I'm less sold on Niku being much more than a #4 guy who can chip in on the powerplay, unless he can really step up his defensive play.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Looks like a fine bottom six. Might be hard on Boston a bit, but aside from Vaka and Donato theres mostly depth players.

Rankings are stupid. No publications thought anything of Heinen, Gryzlyk, Bjork, Kuraly, Debrusk or most of the current roster. Even Donato was thought of as a dime-a-dozen prospect by everyone here last year. Marchand never made a top-200 prospect list and he's a top-20 NHL player.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Rankings are stupid. No publications thought anything of Heinen, Gryzlyk, Bjork, Kuraly, Debrusk or most of the current roster. Even Donato was thought of as a dime-a-dozen prospect by everyone here last year. Marchand never made a top-200 prospect list and he's a top-20 NHL player.
Yeah, sure.

Or, you guys just graduated a lot of guys and didnt have that many picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad