The Players' Tribune: The Astronaut - By Wayne Simmonds

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
Well, O'Ree in the HOF is kinda of an affirmative action hockey edition. A case can be made that it's actually a subtle racism.
Simmonds is not exactly writing from a perspective of an opressed individual. He was born in 1988 in a country without racial stigma of the US and in one of the most altruistic societies in the World. But he still is pushing the same narrative of opressed-opressor dynamic.

Before you will bombard me with "he heard an n-word" "there was a banana!" "some dude looked at him wrong!" think about that: almost nowhere on Earth you have the same racial dynamics as in the US. Look at Colombia, Brazil, Russia. They had their fare share of ethnic conflicts, genocides, rapes, pillages, discrimination and even slavery. But nowhere you will find the same kind of relationships between racial groups as in the USA. The only examples of smth similar is South Africa and used to be Zimbabwe, until Mugabe hasn't kicked out all the white people(racists of course).

Relationships remind me of husband-wife relationships, where sometime long long ago husband cheated and got caught. Wife decided to forgive him, but every time there's an argument she uses that sin as a trump(no pun intended) card. This is unhealthy dynamics, there's inherent inequality here.

The result of this relationships is not reconciliation but further divide, one part is always apologizing, another has an eternal scapegoat.

There are black players that deserve HOF: Fuhr, Iginla, quite possible Subban, maybe Jones in the future. And there will definately be many more to come. There's no need for mandatory black guy in the HOF, they can make it on the merit of their skill and results.

Take it as a critique from outsider perspective.
Dude. Racism is alive and well in Canada and the rest of the world especially Europe. Simmonds alludes to this in his article.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Wow, I didn’t realize that he’s only played in 45 career NHL games. It’s kind of an insult to the games greats to even discuss Willie being named to the Hall of Fame. He should not be honored as a player. If they can carve out an exception, like as a humanitarian, do it that way.

There are people in the HHOF that have played precisely 0 NHL games.

They're called builders.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Wow, I didn’t realize that he’s only played in 45 career NHL games. It’s kind of an insult to the games greats to even discuss Willie being named to the Hall of Fame. He should not be honored as a player. If they can carve out an exception, like as a humanitarian, do it that way.

They may be working towards a different kind of induction. He was in Vancouver for the Canucks game against the Ducks a couple weeks ago. He was interviewed about his experiences and his role as an ambassador for the game in the arena during an intermission. In looking at how the Builder category at the HHOF is handled, I'm not sure if he'd fit there. But maybe they'll revamp their approach to it.

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018
There are black players that deserve HOF: Fuhr, Iginla, quite possible Subban, maybe Jones in the future. .

What on God's green Earth has Subban done to even be mentioned with Fuhr and Iginla? 4th Dman on Nashville that can't make Team Canada is good enough for the Hall? Well, I guess if Cammi Granato and Willie O'Ree are supposed to be in, then I guess include one of the most unpopular team mates the sport as ever seen. Funny enough, Ryan Ellis is the better defenceman, but no love for him. I can only imagine the press he'd get if his skin colour was different

Last edited by a moderator:

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Dude. Racism is alive and well in Canada and the rest of the world especially Europe. Simmonds alludes to this in his article.
Out of all inhabited continents Europe is by far the most tolerant, colour blind, altruistic place you can find.

Take it as an opinion from a guy who has travelled a lot

Last edited:

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Well, O'Ree in the HOF is kinda of an affirmative action hockey edition. A case can be made that it's actually a subtle racism.
Simmonds is not exactly writing from a perspective of an opressed individual. He was born in 1988 in a country without racial stigma of the US and in one of the most altruistic societies in the World. But he still is pushing the same narrative of opressed-opressor dynamic.

Before you will bombard me with "he heard an n-word" "there was a banana!" "some dude looked at him wrong!" think about that: almost nowhere on Earth you have the same racial dynamics as in the US. Look at Colombia, Brazil, Russia. They had their fare share of ethnic conflicts, genocides, rapes, pillages, discrimination and even slavery. But nowhere you will find the same kind of relationships between racial groups as in the USA. The only examples of smth similar is South Africa and used to be Zimbabwe, until Mugabe hasn't kicked out all the white people(racists of course).

Relationships remind me of husband-wife relationships, where sometime long long ago husband cheated and got caught. Wife decided to forgive him, but every time there's an argument she uses that sin as a trump(no pun intended) card. This is unhealthy dynamics, there's inherent inequality here.

The result of this relationships is not reconciliation but further divide, one part is always apologizing, another has an eternal scapegoat.

There are black players that deserve HOF: Fuhr, Iginla, quite possible Subban, maybe Jones in the future. And there will definately be many more to come. There's no need for mandatory black guy in the HOF, they can make it on the merit of their skill and results.

Take it as a critique from outsider perspective.

Great post, unfortunately many will be too busy crying "Racism!" to understand the viewpoint.

Reactions: Dialamo

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Out of all inhabited continents Europe is by far the most tolerant, colour blind, altruistic place you can find.

Instead of trying to tell people who actually experience racism and discrimination that it doesn't exist in certain places, check your privilege and try to understand that your experiences aren't everybody else's. And they certainly aren't the experiences of minorities.

Take it as the life experiences from a (half) black guy who has traveled a lot and experienced racism all over the place.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.

Just stop.

Take it as an opinion from a guy who has read enough.

Reactions: Dr Acula

Panthera

Sep 25, 2017

And...?

Even if Europe is exactly what you describe it to be, not only does that not have any bearing on the lives of North American black hockey players, it also doesn't mean Europe doesn't have serious issues with racism all the same. I live in Canada, I think we probably have less of an issue with racism (towards black people, at least) than the US does. Does that mean we don't have a problem? No, it's still a big problem here that a ton of people ignorantly think that because the civil rights movement happened in America, racism must be dead everywhere. What, do you think that the countless black people who all say the same thing about racism in the modern day are all in on some grand conspiracy to make it seem worse than it is? Because personally, I figure if damn near every black person that ever speaks about racial issues mentions that they face harassment to this day for their skin colour, it's pretty safe to say this problem isn't in the past.

Reactions: Dr Acula

Elimanator

The Future
Oct 6, 2013
Middle of the ocean
What on God's green Earth has Subban done to even be mentioned with Fuhr and Iginla? 4th Dman on Nashville that can't make Team Canada is good enough for the Hall? Well, I guess if Cammi Granato and Willie O'Ree are supposed to be in, then I guess include one of the most unpopular team mates the sport as ever seen. Funny enough, Ryan Ellis is the better defenceman, but no love for him. I can only imagine the press he'd get if his skin colour was different
My gosh. What is your vendetta against Subban?

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com

Because you travelled for a short period as a tourist to a country does not mean you experienced or witnessed the racism in that country.

Eastern Europe can be terrifying for people of color and it's only getting worse. Much of Europe is terrified of migrants and immigrants and have some of the strictest border laws in the world.

While I don't want to get deep into this because we're talking about hockey I find it pretty deplorable that you'd call bullshit on Simmonds and saying he didn't REALLY experience racism. Hockey is incredibly white middle-upper class and exclusionary by nature. He said he experienced racism. You cannot tell him that he didn't or shortchange his experience. We can listen and talk about how to make it better for young people of color that want to play hockey, a sport dominated by white people.

Reactions: Dr Acula and Bandit

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008

I'm sure many soccer players of color who play around the continent would 100000% disagree with you (UEFA even had an anti-racism campaign because things are so bad,) but hey....you've travelled a lot.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I really like the tribune articles. Its a great site which i always forget about.

Simmonds story about not stopping was hilarious.

I really like that that he managed to overcome financial constraints to play. that is an amazing set of family and friends.

I am sure there are many in a similar spot (can't afford hockey).

I am a big Simmonds fan, loved this read.

Reactions: Dr Acula and maxbme

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Because you travelled for a short period as a tourist to a country does not mean you experienced or witnessed the racism in that country.

Eastern Europe can be terrifying for people of color and it's only getting worse. Much of Europe is terrified of migrants and immigrants and have some of the strictest border laws in the world.

While I don't want to get deep into this because we're talking about hockey I find it pretty deplorable that you'd call bull**** on Simmonds and saying he didn't REALLY experience racism. Hockey is incredibly white middle-upper class and exclusionary by nature. He said he experienced racism. You cannot tell him that he didn't or shortchange his experience. We can listen and talk about how to make it better for young people of color that want to play hockey, a sport dominated by white people.

f***in' A. I love how some jabroni on the internet thinks he has a better grasp on what Simmonds went through than he does.

Great article, always loved Wayne on the Kings, even had his jersey (one of the few). Was sad when he was traded but I can't argue with the result. Great story about his hockey career too, I had no idea.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Instead of trying to tell people who actually experience racism and discrimination that it doesn't exist in certain places, check your privilege and try to understand that your experiences aren't everybody else's. And they certainly aren't the experiences of minorities.

Take it as the life experiences from a (half) black guy who has traveled a lot and experienced racism all over the place.

picard-facepalm.jpg

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Not really. Besides Native Americans there really hasn't been any other group or race with such bias held against them in this country.

This is completely false. You pointed out the two extremes but many can make a claim for bias. Imagine America without the Asians building their railroads. Research Ellis Island...think of Russian immigrants for a large period of time...Arabic ones...

But that's not the point. Excellent read and a stand up guy. He had me at describing the smell of play it again sports. I can relate entirely. My fiancé laughs at me for loving the smell of our local rink. She hates the smell...detests it. There's nothing better in the world for my money. Great read and a classy player who I'd love to have on my team.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I'm undecided about whether players who had completely unspectacular careers from a hockey standpoint should be inducted in the HHOF.

Is there a way to draw the line in a proper way if you start going that way? Can it be done in a consistant way but also doesn't lead the way to the HHOF getting devalued by more calls for induction by smaller feats.

I might add the O'ree is a truly special case in that he came from the most disenfranchised group (black people) in a time where racial segregation was still prevalent (1957).
That's objectivelly more groundbreaking than being say the first hispanic or asian player, since their ancestors were not slaves 100 years prior, and didn't suffer the same level of racism.

I think you could induct O'ree and not worry too much that this needs to lead to inductions of the first gay player, first hispanic player, Bettman and so on.

I completely agree. I don't think he belongs in the Hockey Hall Of Fame because as a player it should be based on performance.

With that being said, there should be some Sort of a title where they can incorporate pioneers of the game And it's growth

Keep the hockey hall of fame on performance.

Introduce a new aspect for special people who contributed to the growth of hockey or something of that nature.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If Willie O'Ree deserves to be in the HHOF.

So does Larry Kwong.

And I say this as someone that is half black, you can't do that and then not do it for Kwong. As a matter of fact, the talk about O'Ree and none about Kwong is more annoying to me as a person of color than this whole "hey we still get racist stuff said to us" and yeah, we do, but I mean, so do other ethnicities, which sucks, but ignorance is a part of society and unfortunately, society still hasn't grown up mentally, as a whole.

Kwong was the first person to break the "color" barrier in the NHL. 1 game vs 45 games, why should that matter?

With that said, it's the HHOF, it's earned by the merits of tenure in the game in some way or another. Willie O'Ree has been a good ambassador since he retired, he could get in for that, but Simmonds needs to stop some agenda of "he was black, the first person of color (no, he wasn't)..."

Guys that played the game, helped build it as a GM/Coach, etc...they deserve it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dialamo and The S5
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad