The Players' Tribune: The Astronaut - By Wayne Simmonds

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Wayne,

Buddy....you have an article about astronauts and you didn't mention a real astronaut? I'm just....disappointed, man. Did this guy mean nothing to you?

Screen-Shot-2012-12-14-at-10.48.32-AM.png.cf.jpg
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
he is very hard to dislike.
I remember he had a thing with McDonagh two seasons ago and McDonagh got hurt, which made a lot of Rangers fans rather cross at Simmonds. But he was challenged by McIlrath the next game and immediately dropped the gloves. He didn't have to accept that fight at all and I wouldn't have blamed him for walking away, but he stepped up on his own volition and answered and that showed a lot of respect for the opponent. I gained a lot of respect for Simmonds that day.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Anyway, excellent read. Wayne Simmonds has always been well spoken and he was eloquent in this piece for the Tribune as well.

Particularly enjoyed his thoughts on O'Ree and the racism/prejudice that black and other minorities face growing up if they choose to play hockey.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I remember he had a thing with McDonagh two seasons ago and McDonagh got hurt, which made a lot of Rangers fans rather cross at Simmonds. But he was challenged by McIlrath the next game and immediately dropped the gloves. He didn't have to accept that fight at all and I wouldn't have blamed him for walking away, but he stepped up on his own volition and answered and that showed a lot of respect for the opponent. I gained a lot of respect for Simmonds that day.

McDonagh actually started that altercation too by cross-checking Simmonds right in the face. Either way, it was settled like men.

Reactions: Machinehead

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
I'm undecided about whether players who had completely unspectacular careers from a hockey standpoint should be inducted in the HHOF.

Is there a way to draw the line in a proper way if you start going that way? Can it be done in a consistant way but also doesn't lead the way to the HHOF getting devalued by more calls for induction by smaller feats.

I might add the O'ree is a truly special case in that he came from the most disenfranchised group (black people) in a time where racial segregation was still prevalent (1957).
That's objectivelly more groundbreaking than being say the first hispanic or asian player, since their ancestors were not slaves 100 years prior, and didn't suffer the same level of racism.

I think you could induct O'ree and not worry too much that this needs to lead to inductions of the first gay player, first hispanic player, Bettman and so on.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
simmer's always gonna be one of my favorite players, broke my heart when he left los angeles but that's the business side of hockey i guess. dude plays the hardest style of hockey there is, answers for it all and does it for less pay than most.. i don't like to get involved much in political issues but he's 100% correct about o'ree and i think it's a damn shame he's not in but the league is more than happy to parade him around in their inclusion efforts

Reactions: ShonSaunders

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm undecided about whether players who had completely unspectacular careers from a hockey standpoint should be inducted in the HHOF.

Is there a way to draw the line in a proper way if you start going that way? Can it be done in a consistant way but also doesn't lead the way to the HHOF getting devalued by more calls for induction by smaller feats.

I might add the O'ree is a truly special case in that he came from the most disenfranchised group (black people) in a time where racial segregation was still prevalent (1957).
That's objectivelly more groundbreaking than being say the first hispanic or asian player, since their ancestors were not slaves 100 years prior, and didn't suffer the same level of racism.

I think you could induct O'ree and not worry too much that this needs to lead to inductions of the first gay player, first hispanic player, Bettman and so on.

Exactly this.

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
Great read, as a fellow Canadian, Flyers and Simmer fan - happy he is in the O&B and hope he will remain.. Class guy for sure, and an excellent mentor for our young guns. Loved the backstory on making it happen and some of the TO references. He will be counted on these playoffs for sure, really hoping he can bring another gear!

Reactions: God Bless Mr Coffee

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Well, O'Ree in the HOF is kinda of an affirmative action hockey edition. A case can be made that it's actually a subtle racism.
Simmonds is not exactly writing from a perspective of an opressed individual. He was born in 1988 in a country without racial stigma of the US and in one of the most altruistic societies in the World. But he still is pushing the same narrative of opressed-opressor dynamic.

Before you will bombard me with "he heard an n-word" "there was a banana!" "some dude looked at him wrong!" think about that: almost nowhere on Earth you have the same racial dynamics as in the US. Look at Colombia, Brazil, Russia. They had their fare share of ethnic conflicts, genocides, rapes, pillages, discrimination and even slavery. But nowhere you will find the same kind of relationships between racial groups as in the USA. The only examples of smth similar is South Africa and used to be Zimbabwe, until Mugabe hasn't kicked out all the white people(racists of course).

Relationships remind me of husband-wife relationships, where sometime long long ago husband cheated and got caught. Wife decided to forgive him, but every time there's an argument she uses that sin as a trump(no pun intended) card. This is unhealthy dynamics, there's inherent inequality here.

The result of this relationships is not reconciliation but further divide, one part is always apologizing, another has an eternal scapegoat.

There are black players that deserve HOF: Fuhr, Iginla, quite possible Subban, maybe Jones in the future. And there will definately be many more to come. There's no need for mandatory black guy in the HOF, they can make it on the merit of their skill and results.

Take it as a critique from outsider perspective.

Panthera

Sep 25, 2017
Well, O'Ree in the HOF is kinda of an affirmative action hockey edition. A case can be made that it's actually a subtle racism.
Simmonds is not exactly writing from a perspective of an opressed individual. He was born in 1988 in a country without racial stigma of the US and in one of the most altruistic societies in the World. But he still is pushing the same narrative of opressed-opressor dynamic.

Before you will bombard me with "he heard an n-word" "there was a banana!" "some dude looked at him wrong!" think about that: almost nowhere on Earth you have the same racial dynamics as in the US. Look at Colombia, Brazil, Russia. They had their fare share of ethnic conflicts, genocides, rapes, pillages, discrimination and even slavery. But nowhere you will find the same kind of relationships between racial groups as in the USA. The only examples of smth similar is South Africa and used to be Zimbabwe, until Mugabe hasn't kicked out all the white people(racists of course).

Relationships remind me of husband-wife relationships, where sometime long long ago husband cheated and got caught. Wife decided to forgive him, but every time there's an argument she uses that sin as a trump(no pun intended) card. This is unhealthy dynamics, there's inherent inequality here.

The result of this relationships is not reconciliation but further divide, one part is always apologizing, another has an eternal scapegoat.

There are black players that deserve HOF: Fuhr, Iginla, quite possible Subban, maybe Jones in the future. And there will definately be many more to come. There's no need for mandatory black guy in the HOF, they can make it on the merit of their skill and results.

Take it as a critique from outsider perspective.

This is absurd and willfully ignorant

If you think modern day America and Canada don't have issues with racism you're delusional. Is it better than it was in O'Ree's time? Yes. Is the problem gone entirely? No, not even close. How exactly can you claim that Simmonds is harping entirely on injustices that are in the past when his entire story is about his own personal experiences and the fact that for black players in hockey (and black people in society), the racist abuse he's been the target of is something they all are forced to deal with on a regular basis to this day?

member 297479

Racism is a problem in all racial communities. Some is more obvious than others. Some is almost excused. Some seems almost to be justified using past histories.

It all sucks. It all must go.

Unfortunately, I don't have that much faith in humanity.
It makes me so angry to hear what people have said to him and others. I agree, it must go.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Wow, I didn’t realize that he’s only played in 45 career NHL games. It’s kind of an insult to the games greats to even discuss Willie being named to the Hall of Fame. He should not be honored as a player. If they can carve out an exception, like as a humanitarian, do it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad