Post-Game Talk: The Assassination of Don Henderson by the Coward Dennis Wideman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
^Brings up an interesting hypothetical..

Bettman delays his decision, Wideman misses more games. Takes it to arbitrator, which takes more time and misses more games..lets say he has missed 10 games total at this point.

What happens if the arbitrator decides it should of been a 5 game suspension?

I'd say he would get back some pay then, because technically he wasn't suspended then. But he would just be missing a bunch of games needlessly.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Is it really Bettman's decision? Iäm kinda surprised about that.

It's a two-stage appeal. The first stage is directly to Bettman. If the 'PA decides not to accept his decision, there is a second appeal to a third-party arbitrator who is not affiliated with the league. Or at least that's my understanding.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Predictable:

Now it finally moves to an objective judge.

Color me shocked.

This is all a play to appease the referees.

Frankly if a player can appeal a suspension that is 6 or more games to an independent arbitrator, the league should have the original hearing and decision by Bettman on the appeal done in time to rule before the player misses the 6th game.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I didn't know the NHL could subpoena...

http://www.tsn.ca/bettman-upholds-wideman-s-20-game-suspension-1.439445

Frank Seravalli

@frank_seravalli

Wideman sent text msg to teammate on Feb. 2: "(t)he only problem and the only reason I'm here is cause the stupid refs and stupid media."
3:25 PM - 17 Feb 2016

Elliotte Friedman

@FriedgeHNIC

How did the NHL get Wideman's text messages? Subpoena. I didn't know they had that power, but evidently they do.
3:34 PM - 17 Feb 2016

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Well that. That is what I would call not good. Not good at all.

I'm wondering how he presented himself to Bettman as well based on Bettmans comments in the article. If he's basing how guilty Wideman is based of solely a text thats a bit of BS. If he's basing it on Wideman acting arrogant or coming across like he doesn't feel guilty at the appeal than that is something else.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't see how that text proves anything. Wideman just stating exactly what a lot of us have known all along. The immense pressure drummed up by the refs and the media is the reason that Wideman has had the book thrown at him where other players have not. The fact that the text was sent after the hearing and not before gives a sense of the context.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't see how that text proves anything. Wideman just stating exactly what a lot of us have known all along. The immense pressure drummed up by the refs and the media is the reason that Wideman has had the book thrown at him where other players have not. The fact that the text was sent after the hearing and not before gives a sense of the context.
yeah a text 4 days after the fact when it was rumored the refs would do something stupid proves nothing

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

It shouldn't make any difference to the independent arbitrator. Now that we are finally past the dog and pony show via the Bettman appeal we will see what happens. Should be very interesting.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Give him more games imo. Hit looks intentional and his text message shows a lack of remorse.
It doesn't show anything, it was after it was rumored the refs were going to mail it in and refuse to do their jobs properly.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Give him more games imo. Hit looks intentional and his text message shows a lack of remorse.

Wideman's text is a completely rational and valid point. If it's in pre-season and this happens, and the media doesn't jump all over it, and the refs to don't decide to go to war, and his name is Yannick Weber, then he's not in that position at all of having to be made a fall-guy so the league's relationship with the referees isn't damaged.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Ridiculous they can subpoena a player's phone for an on ice incident. Bettman has overstepped his grounds in trying to crucify Wideman. This appeal will get interesting, Wideman and the Flames are getting a bad shake here.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Look at the Weber incident and Wideman's, clearly the media has covered it differently. I think this whole thing is just crazy and I think a 3rd party will favour Wideman over the NHL.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Stupid that it took Bettman this long to come out and say he's not going to change the suspension. Seems like the NHL is dragging this out because they know it's going to an appeal.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Stupid that it took Bettman this long to come out and say he's not going to change the suspension. Seems like the NHL is dragging this out because they know it's going to an appeal.

Will be very interesting if Wideman misses more than say 10 games and then the 3rd party says he should have only gotten 10 what happens then?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, the league is throwing light on a major loophole in this new appeal process. They can basically ignore the independent arbitrator by taking the full suspension time to make their initial decisions.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What about the cap? And what if the Flames wanted to play Wideman? I'm just curious at this point, I almost hope it happens just so I can find out :laugh:

the Flames would play the season under protest and if the Flames barely miss the playoffs they will go after the league for lost playoff revenue. Wideman would only lose salary for those he was officially suspended, might seek more because the NHL has intentionally delayed this process.

Lil

Feb 13, 2016
Gotham
Look at the Weber incident and Wideman's, clearly the media has covered it differently. I think this whole thing is just crazy and I think a 3rd party will favour Wideman over the NHL.
The Weber incident is nothing close. That's a hockey play as the official was in Webers skating way. Weber also has no reason to attack the official, which also indicates that it was a mistake.

Wiceman is upset and angry. He skates to the bench sees the official and attacks. He attacks the official. End of story

Wideman is going to get 20 games no matter what. The 3rd party has to look at Garys reason for upholding the suspension and decide if it is fair. He cannot look at the hit and make his own decision. The text message hammers it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00