Post-Game Talk: The Assassination of Don Henderson by the Coward Dennis Wideman

Status
Not open for further replies.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Well that's needlessly inflammatory.

Have you ever even played a sport? Wideman is trying to get back to the bench and stupidly shoves off the ref to get past him faster. I don't think you are appreciating the speed at which this all happens where it is so easy to criticize it detailed slow motion on repeat. Nice high horse there with your irrefutable position though.

I don't think you do. Wideman was skating leisurely back to the bench when he made contact with the referee.

moon*

Well that's needlessly inflammatory.

Have you ever even played a sport? Wideman is trying to get back to the bench and stupidly shoves off the ref to get past him faster. I don't think you are appreciating the speed at which this all happens where it is so easy to criticize it detailed slow motion on repeat. Nice high horse there with your irrefutable position though.

You are complaining about being needlessly inflammatory and you then follow that up with a personal insult about me not having played sports? Seems a little odd to me.

Yes I have played sports, yes I can appreciate the speed at which things happen which is why it is clear that there was plenty of time for Wideman not to shove the ref.

moon*

This post is even worse than the one I quoted. We keep arriving at a point where you claim that the video eliminates the possibility of it being accidental, and I keep asking for support for that claim. And you keep ducking. So, either stop ducking or I guess this is going nowhere.

The video does support it?

What more do I need to provide you when the video is clear as can be? There is nothing more anyone could provide that would prove anything either way.

Video evidence is what people hope for when evaluating these, or many other crimes, as it shows what occured.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

What more do I need to provide you when the video is clear as can be? There is nothing more anyone could provide that would prove anything either way.

Video evidence is what people hope for when evaluating these, or many other crimes, as it shows what occured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raVyFKluGKE

If the league wanted to take a stand properly it should have been on this play by Jake Muzzin. Muzzin is not hurt, he is careless, and Sutherland was in a compromising position as Muzzin lowers the boom.

This is much more dangerous than Wideman's incident and Muzzin hits Sutherland in the head as theprimary contact point. That would have been 10 games if it was another player.

Part of the reason Wideman's looks worse is because he was going much slower and had much less force which slows down everything.

The NHL is going to have a hard time supporting its case that Wideman's is any way worse than situations like Muzzin vs Sutherland's. In fact I will argue Wideman did try to avoid Henderson as can be seen with his snow plow and twist. Muzzin went right through Sutherland. Worse yet Wideman was injured in his play at least he had a partial excuse .. Muzzin was not.

For some reason Wideman is being lead to slaughter. Muzzin's even had attention brought to it by the TV play by play analysts. I don't get it.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I'm not saying it doesn't support a deliberate attack. What it doesn't do is exclusively support a deliberate attack.

Video evidence shows what occurred, but the abuse of officials rule requires more just what occurred. It requires that what occurred be deliberate, and the video available of this hit cannot determine that.

Vkonroy

Oct 29, 2014
Calgary
You are complaining about being needlessly inflammatory and you then follow that up with a personal insult about me not having played sports? Seems a little odd to me.

Yes I have played sports, yes I can appreciate the speed at which things happen which is why it is clear that there was plenty of time for Wideman not to shove the ref.

Must not be a sport where contact or extreme physical exertion are involved then if you have never been in a position that you can relate.

After a long shift, and especially after extra exertion involved with contact at high speeds you are temporarily gassed and you have tunnel vision basically trying to reset, and more specifically in this case get back to the bench to not put your team short handed. There was no malice here, it is indifference which is still a problem. He is not deliberately trying to injure anyone - just move his body around him and shove off to get by faster. Lazy, stupid play yes; out hunting for a ref (after a missed call? what even is the motive?) definitely not.

If you want to look at intent, look at Wideman's head; he is basically looking past the ref the whole time.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hoc...referee?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

[fieldset=Calgary Herald]Calgary Flames defenceman Dennis Wideman broke his silence Thursday, issuing a public apology to linesman Don Henderson and saying he is “disappointed” with the 20-game suspension he was handed by the NHL after his ugly collision with the official last week.

Reading from notes, Wideman addressed the media after practising with his Flames teammates at the Saddledome, his first skate since the incident.

With the NHLPA currently appealing the suspension on his behalf, the 32-year-old did not answer questions.

“Firstly, I want to apologize to Donnie Henderson,” Wideman said. “I feel awful about what happened. Hopefully, he’s recovering and he’s going to be back on the ice soon, but I feel really bad about the whole situation. The last seven days have been tough.

“Never in my career have I ever disrespected or done anything like this to an official. I think I’ve prided myself on having a great working relationship with the officials, and I hope to continue that when I get out there. But again, I just want to apologize to Donnie. I feel awful about what happened.

“As far as the suspension goes, I’m really disappointed with the decision and the length of the suspension. I did not have any intent at any time to hit the official or hurt him or anything like that. I would never do something like that, and I’m pretty disappointed with the decision.”[/fieldset]

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Wideman is a liar. Why would he feel awful if he had no intent? He feels awful because he dumped Henderson, and went to the bench like a coward and didn't check to see if he was okay, but he doesn't want to admit it. he just wants the optics to be good for him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wideman is a liar. Why would he feel awful if he had no intent? He feels awful because he dumped Henderson, and went to the bench like a coward and didn't check to see if he was okay, but he doesn't want to admit it. he just wants the optics to be good for him.
It's it this thing called having a heart, when you hurt someone even if by accident you feel bad about it. Some of the things you are saying in this topic are a bit ridiculous dude, suggesting he planned to attack the linesman, ignoring the fact he had a concussion. You are clearly ignoring things right in front of your face for no other reason than to get people going.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
If you accidentally rear-ended someone and caused them whiplash, would you not feel bad because it was an accident?

Yeah I would. Though maybe not if right before, someone in the car hit me in the head and I was so dazed I wasn't situationally and spatially aware like Wideman.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

This post has some amazingly terrible logic.

This whole thing has been a joke, Wideman was concussed and clearly wasn't in his right mind. The worst part is the flames let Wideman keep playing and the nhl let the lineman play too. This whole suspension seems to be trying to avoid the issue of what the nhl does to address concussions.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It's it this thing called having a heart, when you hurt someone even if by accident you feel bad about it. Some of the things you are saying in this topic are a bit ridiculous dude, suggesting he planned to attack the linesman, ignoring the fact he had a concussion. You are clearly ignoring things right in front of your face for no other reason than to get people going.

I don't think it's ridiculous to say he did it on purpose, and had it in his head to do it right before.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Yeah I would. Though maybe not if right before, someone in the car hit me in the head and I was so dazed I wasn't situationally and spatially aware like Wideman.

You wouldn't feel bad for the accidents you cause when you are not 100% ok?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yes it is.

I actually don't think it's a ridiculous opinion. I don't think it's right, but there's nothing to prove it's wrong. I think it's ridiculous to pretend that it's even in any way proven or confirmed, but the position itself is plausible, if unlikely.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I actually don't think it's a ridiculous opinion. I don't think it's right, but there's nothing to prove it's wrong. I think it's ridiculous to pretend that it's even in any way proven or confirmed, but the position itself is plausible, if unlikely.

I would say common sense makes it a ridiculuous opinion. Everything happened in such a short time that there simply was no time for conscicous decision to hit the linesman. "Had it is his head" sounds like Wideman planned it, and I like to think it was reactionary or accidental.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I would say common sense makes it a ridiculuous opinion. Everything happened in such a short time that there simply was no time for conscicous decision to hit the linesman. "Had it is his head" sounds like Wideman planned it, and I like to think it was reactionary or accidental.

Not to mention he was concussed I've never been able to only think about one thing while concussed I always found it to be like a fog.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

I'd say 8 seconds is enough time to make a decision.
Edit: But he may have done in anger at the last second. Either way, I'm saying it was deliberate.

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

Even if one acknowledges it's not confirmed by the video, the video doesn't show it to be more likely an accident.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
A concussion doesn't necessarily mean an altered state of consciousness.

No but it makes it very hard to believe he knew 100% what he was doing like you seem to think. As I said all my concussion had a fog like feeling, so I find it hard not to give him the benefite of the doubt especially when he sits down and seems to have no idea what just happened.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
NHL reviewing whether Flames followed proper concussion protocol with Wideman
The NHL is reviewing whether or not the Calgary Flames properly followed the league’s concussion protocol with defenceman Dennis Wideman during the Jan. 27 game in which he cross-checked linesman Don Henderson.

The NHL regularly reviews every instance when a concussion is diagnosed, much in the same way any questionable hit or incident is reviewed by the league’s Department of Player Safety.

Teams have previously been fined by the NHL for not following the protocol, though that information is not made public.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I don't think you do. Wideman was skating leisurely back to the bench when he made contact with the referee.

Yeah, I think the only reasonable explanation, aside from it being intentional, is that he was dazed and confused, and thought the official was a player. Because nothing about it looks accidental from any angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad