The Art of Custom Made Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

jocke7

Jan 24, 2019
Stockholm, Sweden
Glad to hear from you it’s been awhile. I’m still adding you and Sapinvert’s faces to my NHL 18 rosters.it has been a month long project because it takes me a few hours to get all of them in where I have to go from season to season. I can’t thank you guys enough for making this spreadsheet available it has added so much more immersion to my rosters. I’m going to finish off the 80s this month and then it is off to starting the 70s on 19. If you could upload those 70s players you mentioned to the spreadsheet it would be appreciated as it would give me a head start.

The NHL2k series is under appreciated. There are many things that those games did right that EA has failed to implement in their game.The gameplay has a different feel to it, but it holds up surprisingly well in many aspects.

I remember 2k7 and 2k8 had a lot of classic teams and vintage jerseys included in the game many of which are still not in NHL 19. The goalie mask creator that you mentioned is something people have been asking for in EA’s game for years now.

This YouTuber/Twitch streamer that I watch recently did a review of NHL2k10 where he tracks all the things that that games did right. 2k10 lacked some of customization features that you mentioned , but it was still a solid game. Anyway it’s a worthwhile watch if you haven’t seen it already. I’ll post the video link below.

For sure, I'll add them all. I look forward to see some pictures of your 70's roster later. I've recently become more interested in that decade after watching a lot of old clips and few documentaries from that time. Perhaps the toughest decade in NHL history? Most logos and jerseys should be possible to create somewhat accurate in 19. I did the LA Kings all gold uniform the other day for example, turned out great.

Yeah, 2K had some really cool ideas and it's a shame they stopped doing NHL games. I used to own 2K10 on Xbox 360 back in the day. The Stanley Cup celebration where you can skate around with the cup is just light years ahead of anything EA ever accomplished in that department. I bought 2K8 now after seeing some videos of it on this channel: Dick Taco's Simulated Sports Network

It felt a bit odd at first but once I got used to the controls it was very fun and I played for hours trying out all the old school jerseys that I've never seen in an EA game.

Reactions: grentthealien

SnipeNScore

Mar 31, 2019
Ottawa, ON
www.youtube.com
Hey guys, so as I mentioned before I will be doing a full on 1993/94 roster build for NHL 20, since you guys have a lot of player appearances and equipment done for that era I will be adding all the players from then to my spreadsheet which has currently rosters/bios for all teams (some european teams I mentioned before are still under construction), also has projected lineups, and under it I am also going to be putting the appearances from you guys and then individual stats so that anyone can build there own if there is no roster sharing.. Please take a look and let me know what you think on the sheet so far.. I plan to do more for other years eventually. :)

Cheers,
Snipe

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
For sure, I'll add them all. I look forward to see some pictures of your 70's roster later. I've recently become more interested in that decade after watching a lot of old clips and few documentaries from that time. Perhaps the toughest decade in NHL history? Most logos and jerseys should be possible to create somewhat accurate in 19. I did the LA Kings all gold uniform the other day for example, turned out great.

Yeah, 2K had some really cool ideas and it's a shame they stopped doing NHL games. I used to own 2K10 on Xbox 360 back in the day. The Stanley Cup celebration where you can skate around with the cup is just light years ahead of anything EA ever accomplished in that department. I bought 2K8 now after seeing some videos of it on this channel: Dick Taco's Simulated Sports Network

It felt a bit odd at first but once I got used to the controls it was very fun and I played for hours trying out all the old school jerseys that I've never seen in an EA game.

I’m looking forward to doing the 70s as well because of the iconic players and teams from that decade. Orr,Lafleur,Esposito, Bobby Clarke, The 4 peat Habs teams, The big bad Bruins, the Broadstreet bullies etc etc Plus I just like the overall aesthetic with helmet-less players and jerseys with no names on the back. I agree that most of the jerseys for that decade are doable the only one I think I’m going to have trouble with is the California Golden Seals jerseys.

That’s a neat channel you linked there it uploads a lot of old school matchups on old sports games. How did you come across it? I’d imagine some of it is modded, but still cool nonetheless.The 2k8 videos look good as well the gameplay look fluid. I forget did they always say the players last names on historical teams in that game or is that modded in?

You said you might start up a roster project on 2k8 so what do you have in mind? A specific season, updated rosters, all time teams?

Last edited:
Reactions: jocke7

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Hey guys, so as I mentioned before I will be doing a full on 1993/94 roster build for NHL 20, since you guys have a lot of player appearances and equipment done for that era I will be adding all the players from then to my spreadsheet which has currently rosters/bios for all teams (some european teams I mentioned before are still under construction), also has projected lineups, and under it I am also going to be putting the appearances from you guys and then individual stats so that anyone can build there own if there is no roster sharing.. Please take a look and let me know what you think on the sheet so far.. I plan to do more for other years eventually. :)

Cheers,
Snipe

Very cool I take it that the spreadsheet is a work in progress as I can’t scroll past Calgary. I wasn’t expecting the logos and coloured graphs it looks very fresh.

93-94 is a great season to do as it is pretty much the peak of the 90s. The soviet players had just been integrated into the game, Scoring wasn’t as ridiculous as the 80s yet it was also just before the dead puck era sucked the life out of games and the playoffs that year were extremely memorable. The Canucks Rangers Finals is up there with the greatest cup finals ever even if my team came out on the losing side.

I look forward to seeing it when it’s completed. Who knows hopefully EA throws us a bone and gives us a ton of more customization options for 20. Heck even if they just allowed us to move players from the legend teams to other teams it would be a huge help. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: SnipeNScore

SnipeNScore

Mar 31, 2019
Ottawa, ON
www.youtube.com
Very cool I take it that the spreadsheet is a work in progress as I can’t scroll past Calgary. I wasn’t expecting the logos and coloured graphs it looks very fresh.

93-94 is a great season to do as it is pretty much the peak of the 90s. The soviet players had just been integrated into the game, Scoring wasn’t as ridiculous as the 80s yet it was also just before the dead puck era sucked the life out of games and the playoffs that year were extremely memorable. The Canucks Rangers Finals is up there with the greatest cup finals ever even if my team came out on the losing side.

I look forward to seeing it when it’s completed. Who knows hopefully EA throws us a bone and gives us a ton of more customization options for 20. Heck even if they just allowed us to move players from the legend teams to other teams it would be a huge help. Fingers crossed.

I put all teams its just I shared the link on here and it puts it as a media, any idea how to just put the link without embedding it?

jocke7

Jan 24, 2019
Stockholm, Sweden
I’m looking forward to doing the 70s as well because of the iconic players and teams from that decade. Orr,Lafleur,Esposito, Bobby Clarke, The 4 peat Habs teams, The big bad Bruins, the Broadstreet bullies etc etc Plus I just like the overall aesthetic with helmet-less players and jerseys with no names on the back. I agree that most of the jerseys for that decade are doable the only one I think I’m going to have trouble with is the California Golden Seals jerseys.

That’s a neat channel you linked there it uploads a lot of old school matchups on old sports games. How did you come across it? I’d imagine some of it is modded, but still cool nonetheless.The 2k8 videos look good as well the gameplay look fluid. I forget did they always say the players last names on historical teams in that game or is that modded in?

You said you might start up a roster project on 2k8 so what do you have in mind? A specific season, updated rosters, all time teams?

Yes, the no helmets and no names capture a lot of the 70's feel in NHL 19. I've also noticed many players had black blade holders on their skates back then and customizing that in the game also adds to the realism.

I discovered that channel when I just thought of the old 2K games one day and wished to see which historic teams was in them. I agree, it's a really nice channel with lots of nostalgia and interesting matchups. I believe the only edits he's done is within the game, basically just changing the names of the 07-08 players to classic players. I don't know how the play-by-play names work as there was no option to choose one in the edit player mode, however when I created players the announcers said their correct name in the game, and the arena announcer even said the correct first and last name when they scored, which was pretty cool. I guess there is a large database with a lot of both first and last names recorded which gets automatically assigned when you create a player whose name is in that database, or something like that. Not sure what happens when the name isn't in there though.

I think one of the most annoying things when creating rosters for NHL 19 is when the play-by-play name you want isn't there and you have to choose something else that is as close as possible. Always bugs me when Doc Emrick says "Loktionov" every time Igor Larionov gets the puck lol.

If I do a roster project on 2K8 it would definately be a vintage roster of some sort. There is a lot of season specific teams like the 56' Canadiens and 74' Flyers already in there (just need to change everybodys name) so I'd probably just get them all done and then create historic versions of all the existing NHL teams to go with one or more of their available vintage jerseys. So probably a little bit of everything from 50's to 90's. Not sure how many roster files that's allowed but if there is several maybe one separate save for every decade, or something. I'm really keen on the 70's because of the historic arenas and vintage goalie masks so I might start there.

SnipeNScore

Mar 31, 2019
Ottawa, ON
www.youtube.com
I think 2K has a certain amount of players you can edit names for so you guys might not be able to do a full on roster build.. I also know for NHL 19 the max is around 600 skaters and 100 goalies.. I hit the max for skaters in my 1999 build.

SnipeNScore

Mar 31, 2019
Ottawa, ON
www.youtube.com
Greg Johnson (1994 Red Wings)
Xbox 2019-05-02 10_37_19 AM.png

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Yes, the no helmets and no names capture a lot of the 70's feel in NHL 19. I've also noticed many players had black blade holders on their skates back then and customizing that in the game also adds to the realism.

I discovered that channel when I just thought of the old 2K games one day and wished to see which historic teams was in them. I agree, it's a really nice channel with lots of nostalgia and interesting matchups. I believe the only edits he's done is within the game, basically just changing the names of the 07-08 players to classic players. I don't know how the play-by-play names work as there was no option to choose one in the edit player mode, however when I created players the announcers said their correct name in the game, and the arena announcer even said the correct first and last name when they scored, which was pretty cool. I guess there is a large database with a lot of both first and last names recorded which gets automatically assigned when you create a player whose name is in that database, or something like that. Not sure what happens when the name isn't in there though.

I think one of the most annoying things when creating rosters for NHL 19 is when the play-by-play name you want isn't there and you have to choose something else that is as close as possible. Always bugs me when Doc Emrick says "Loktionov" every time Igor Larionov gets the puck lol.

If I do a roster project on 2K8 it would definately be a vintage roster of some sort. There is a lot of season specific teams like the 56' Canadiens and 74' Flyers already in there (just need to change everybodys name) so I'd probably just get them all done and then create historic versions of all the existing NHL teams to go with one or more of their available vintage jerseys. So probably a little bit of everything from 50's to 90's. Not sure how many roster files that's allowed but if there is several maybe one separate save for every decade, or something. I'm really keen on the 70's because of the historic arenas and vintage goalie masks so I might start there.
MLB the show has a similar database. I have no clue why Ea’s NHL doesn’t have it as well.I agree the 70s are a good place to start:)

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Some new additions to the spreadsheet

Maurice 'Rocket' Richard
tKXICqi.jpg

A few 70's Canadiens:

Guy Lapointe
cRM9UWT.jpg

Yvan Cournoyer
BGLxb5t.jpg

Serge Savard
0zf29eC.jpg

And a couple of Swedes:

Mikael Renberg
g20jG46.jpg

Thomas Steen
vDNSQ2A.jpg

More players coming soon
Awesome job one question though. How in the world did you get Maurice Richard’s gloves brown? Also I think I might attempt to do the WHA as a side project when I get to doing the 70s on 19 so I can play with Howe and Hull not to mention a 17 year old Gretzky and other memorable names. Still got to finish the 80s first though. It’s safe to say when it’s all said and done I am never selling my copies of 17,18 and 19.

Reactions: jocke7

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Awesome job one question though. How in the world did you get Maurice Richard’s gloves brown? Also I think I might attempt to do the WHA as a side project when I get to doing the 70s on 19 so I can play with Howe and Hull not to mention a 17 year old Gretzky and other memorable names. Still got to finish the 80s first though. It’s safe to say when it’s all said and done I am never selling my disc versions of 17,18 and 19.

jocke7

Jan 24, 2019
Stockholm, Sweden
Awesome job one question though. How in the world did you get Maurice Richard’s gloves brown? Also I think I might attempt to do the WHA as a side project when I get to doing the 70s on 19 so I can play with Howe and Hull not to mention a 17 year old Gretzky and other memorable names. Still got to finish the 80s first though. It’s safe to say when it’s all said and done I am never selling my copies of 17,18 and 19.

Thanks, that Montreal team is a created team and for the alternate jersey I used the same red jersey but made the glove color all brown, like it was in the Maurice Richard era.

Cool, I've thought about doing the WHA as well. I've done the jerseys of Winnipeg and Edmonton and a few players on the Jets.

aDtTx7D.jpg

KieQKy4.jpg

CovmWyE.jpg

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Thanks, that Montreal team is a created team and for the alternate jersey I used the same red jersey but made the glove color all brown, like it was in the Maurice Richard era.

Cool, I've thought about doing the WHA as well. I've done the jerseys of Winnipeg and Edmonton and a few players on the Jets.

aDtTx7D.jpg

KieQKy4.jpg

CovmWyE.jpg
Awesome. I wish the Oilers and Jets would use those jerseys as alternates. I feel like the WHA will be doable because I believe at most there were around like 12 teams and some seasons towards the end as many as 6.

If you don’t mind do you happen to have faces for Larry Robinson and Rod Langway? I need to improve them especially Langway.

jocke7

Jan 24, 2019
Stockholm, Sweden
Awesome. I wish the Oilers and Jets would use those jerseys as alternates. I feel like the WHA will be doable because I believe at most there were around like 12 teams and some seasons towards the end as many as 6.

If you don’t mind do you happen to have faces for Larry Robinson and Rod Langway? I need to improve them especially Langway.

Yes, should be fairly quick to make, atleast compared to 80's and 90's NHL.

I have done Robinson and Langway. I am very pleased with my Langway (I think I've posted a picture a way back in the thread, but not added to the spreadsheet). Robinson is quite difficult to get right though. I can post them both tonight or tomorrow.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Yes, should be fairly quick to make, atleast compared to 80's and 90's NHL.

I have done Robinson and Langway. I am very pleased with my Langway (I think I've posted a picture a way back in the thread, but not added to the spreadsheet). Robinson is quite difficult to get right though. I can post them both tonight or tomorrow.

Yeah there’s a huge difference between 12 teams and 21 teams. Assuming you do 12 forwards and 6 D per team the difference is exactly 162 skaters! The absolute worst was when I was doing the early 2000s where there were 30 teams in the league.

Yeah if you could post both of them in the spreadsheet tonight or tomorrow that would be great. My Robinson is ok , but he could definitely be improved. I actually have a list of player faces that I might take a stab at myself. It’s about 40 players long. What I think I’m going to is look at some of the faces in the spreadsheet and see if some of them match with or look similar to the players I’m editing.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Some new additions to the spreadsheet

Maurice 'Rocket' Richard
tKXICqi.jpg

A few 70's Canadiens:

Guy Lapointe
cRM9UWT.jpg

Yvan Cournoyer
BGLxb5t.jpg

Serge Savard
0zf29eC.jpg

And a couple of Swedes:

Mikael Renberg
g20jG46.jpg

Thomas Steen
vDNSQ2A.jpg

More players coming soon
Dumb question maybe but how are you guys creating players without helmets in NHL19? I can’t seem to figure this out

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Dumb question maybe but how are you guys creating players without helmets in NHL19? I can’t seem to figure this out
Choose a Helmet with a cage. Save and then exit. Afterwards choose the player again then choose any visor for your helmet and it will automatically come off. Here is a video below demonstrating it.

Reactions: Messrules11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad