The Armchair GM Thread - Part LXXXVIII | March "status quo" deadline looming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Eh, I'm not really convinced. He's 5'7 and this season only has 12 goals and 35 points this season. For what it would cost to acquire him I would rather go out and get Brayden Schenn who's 4 years younger and 6 inches taller.

The Rangers are willing to take veteran pieces to compete now. It doesn't make much sense for the Flyers to trade Schenn for Vrbata or a package including Higgins.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I saw a Byfuglien for Burns proposal on the trade board...wouldn't that be an interesting one. :laugh:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
*sigh*

I miss the days when we were talking about the Canucks adding good players. Discussing the likes of Fleischmann, Tlusty, Semin, Schlemko, Erixon, Zuccarello is very depressing.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
*sigh*

I miss the days when we were talking about the Canucks adding good players. Discussing the likes of Fleischmann, Tlusty, Semin, Schlemko, Erixon, Zuccarello is very depressing.

Who is currently on the market, that you would pursue?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Who is currently on the market, that you would pursue?

Assuming the reports are true, my top targets would be Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds. I would be willing to move anything except Bo Horvat and Jake Virtanen for a package that included these two.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Assuming the reports are true, my top targets would be Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds. I would be willing to move anything except Bo Horvat and Jake Virtanen for a package that included these two.

I'd love to go after those two as well, but I think the players being discussed are more realistic in terms of not having to sacrifice much. I'd go after Schenn though, as I think Simmonds will cost more.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I'd love to go after those two as well, but I think the players being discussed are more realistic in terms of not having to sacrifice much. I'd go after Schenn though, as I think Simmonds will cost more.

Those players being discussed are more realistic in terms of not having to sacrifice much because they aren't good players. Mediocre team acquires mediocre players, remains mediocre.

Don't know if it comes close or not, but for Simmonds and Schenn I would be willing to offer a package that included our 2015 1st round pick, Zack Kassian, Frank Corrado, and prospect Jared McCann. Gives the Flyers a medium 1st round pick in this years loaded draft, a big NHL forward who's still young, a young defenseman who's probably ready for the NHL this year, and a solid prospect.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
*sigh*

Yeah I'd rather discuss Brayden Schenn, who is not available. Seems reasonable.

Edit: What reports?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Those players being discussed are more realistic in terms of not having to sacrifice much because they aren't good players. Mediocre team acquires mediocre players, remains mediocre.

Don't know if it comes close or not, but for Simmonds and Schenn I would be willing to offer a package that included our 2015 1st round pick, Zack Kassian, Frank Corrado, and prospect Jared McCann. Gives the Flyers a medium 1st round pick in this years loaded draft, a big NHL forward who's still young, a young defenseman who's probably ready for the NHL this year, and a solid prospect.

Exactly...that's why they are being discussed because we don't want to give up our valuable pieces, as Benning has stated. We really don't have much to offer up since we took Horvat, Virtanen, McCann and picks off the table.

The Flyers could likely get more if they just sold them separately. Kassian doesn't hold much value, still question marks around him, Corrado is a stud IMO but also doesn't hold much value as he hasn't shown enough yet, and McCann is yet to be seen but is a good prospect for a package like this. Playoff teams would be drooling to add a guy like Simmonds, and could get a huge return for him.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Mats Zuccarello is a much better hockey player than Brayden Schenn, but yeah grit, strength, intangibles, good Canadian kid!1!1!!1!1

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Brayden Schenn plays nearly 50% of his shifts with Voracek and Giroux, not everything is as black and white as points!!!!

Well you can compete for the corsi cup, or you can accept that this team has far too many players like that and actually go out and get a guy who can put up points.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Speculating that the Flyers might switch gears is meaningless. The writer speculates that Schenn could be dealt for "not raising his game and only having 12 goals this year". He doesn't get into what teams have offered, what PHI has planned for LW or why they move a 23 year old player that fits a future team as well as a 'now' team.

Realistically, he's not available for anything reasonable. Specifically for the Canucks, he's _really_ not available given Benning's position on his picks.

So it's really just poo-pooing what is doable, and pining for something unrealistic. I suppose you are free to indulge in complete fantasy if you so choose. I just don't get the constant belittlement of stuff that is likely to happen though. Seems off.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Speculating that the Flyers might switch gears is meaningless. The writer speculates that Schenn could be dealt for "not raising his game and only having 12 goals this year". He doesn't get into what teams have offered, what PHI has planned for LW or why they move a 23 year old player that fits a future team as well as a 'now' team.

Realistically, he's not available for anything reasonable. Specifically for the Canucks, he's _really_ not available given Benning's position on his picks.

So it's really just poo-pooing what is doable, and pining for something unrealistic. I suppose you are free to indulge in complete fantasy if you so choose. I just don't get the constant belittlement of stuff that is likely to happen though. Seems off.

And speculating on trades based on what fans will accept on the trade and rumours board is meaningless too.

He may be available, he may not be available. Time will tell. But if he is available then I would certainly hope that the Canucks are in on him and push hard to get him.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
So it's really just poo-pooing what is doable, and pining for something unrealistic.

Almost like spending well over half a decade trashing a pair of legit first liners for not being ... whatever you call players on the next level, of which there are usually about five.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
*sigh*

The days when you used to suggest outlandish returns for Roberto Luongo? No, I don't miss those days. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad