The Armchair GM Thread - Part LXXXVIII | March "status quo" deadline looming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alflives*

Why can't we be sellers of our older guys, and collect more picks? Which older guys could we get rid of?

Higgins?
Hamhuis?
etc?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Considering all our injuries, I think the best trade option right now is Lupul.

:sarcasm:

It's funny because Lupul is the forward version of Sami Salo.

Alflives*

Cute. It would be funny to have lupul, and he could be on IR.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Nothing will happen.

Kenins and the bot 6 is too solid to disturb it for a top 6. All done in off season in my mind

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Benning doesn't seem like he is going to do any panic moves. That, at least, is a good thing.

Ironically, with Bieksa, Burrows and Miller out, this is like the roster some people wanted. I didn't want those guys last Summer. I was agitating for a youth movement. My thinking was, Desjardins is an AHL coach, he should be ideal to handle a very young roster. I hope that proves to be true, now.

Canucks can still continue to add prospects and futures like they have been doing. The deadline might be very useful. I doubt they want to add a major name. They will have cap space, though, if Miller is on LTIR.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I think Hansen is the one who should be moved.

Higgins and Hansen are both often suggested. I don't think it makes sense to move either. You can probably get close to the same pick for a guy like Dorsett as you can Hansen. He's a worse player likely to end up on a worse contract. Same goes for Matthias in comparison to Higgins, though Matthias does offer some added depth at center.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Higgins and Hansen are both often suggested. I don't think it makes sense to move either. You can probably get close to the same pick for a guy like Dorsett as you can Hansen. He's a worse player likely to end up on a worse contract. Same goes for Matthias in comparison to Higgins, though Matthias does offer some added depth at center.

I'm guessing if we get a number of our forwards back healthy in the next week before the deadline the Dorsett or Richardson trade is an option if neither commits to wanting to be here as UFAs

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Richardson or Dorsett should be traded for picks/prospects.

Matthias as a trade option should be explored due to his all time high trade value.

Fully Healthy:
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Bonino-Vrbata
Higgins-Matthias-Vey
Kenins-Horvat Hansen
McMillan

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Any interest in burmistrov?

I'd be interested because I'm a cheapskate who loves a potential something-for-nothing, but we've already got a soft, smallish, effectiveness-in-question center we have to gift a roster spot to so unless Benning thinks he's a top six player and wants to go Sedin-Burmistrov-Horvat-Vey down the middle next year I don't see the point.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Richardson or Dorsett should be traded for picks/prospects.

Matthias as a trade option should be explored due to his all time high trade value.

Fully Healthy:
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Bonino-Vrbata
Higgins-Matthias-Vey
Kenins-Horvat Hansen
McMillan

Sure, but it is unlikely we will be healthy for long. Jensen can be brought up, but he is pretty untested. Only one of Richardson/Dorsett/Matthias should be traded, imo, so that we have some good depth. The other option would be to trade two of those guys (or Higgins) and bring in another guy like Bergenheim. That way we can pick up some draft picks (Higgins should bring in better draft picks than Berg) and replace the spot.

And I know it is extremely unlikely, but I would try to see what the possibilities of moving Bieksa are.

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Bonino - Vrbata
Higgins - Matthias - Dorsett
Kenins - Horvat - Hansen
Vey

Richardson traded

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think Hansen is the one who should be moved.

Er, why?

Hansen is pretty close to the last player that should be dealt right now. He's playing great and is the veteran glue helping make a great line with two rookies click.

Honestly, my mind is blown every time I see people claiming we should dump Higgins or Hansen while we're in a playoff race, sitting in a playoff position.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Richardson is a nice little utility guy, but given he's not even with the team I think we can expect he won't get healthy by the trade deadline.. and I doubt some team is going to come calling after a good fourth liner with a nagging injury for their playoff run.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

I agree that Dorsett is a worse player, but he does bring things to the team that no one else seems to. Hopefully he doesn't end up on a worse contract (I think he gets re-signed in the 1.75 to 2M per range). Yesterday he was the only player who responded to the Clutterbuck bench spear.

Hansen just seems...redundant at this point. He has have good point totals for this season but doesn't add much in terms of possession nor playing very much on the PK this year.

The one thing he brings, as VanillaCoke noted, is speed. Which I agree the team is lacking in. My preference would be to bring in a fast 2nd line LW and bottom 6 C (upgrade on Richardson), thus his speed wouldn't be noticeably missed.

Lundface*

I agree that Dorsett is a worse player, but he does bring things to the team that no one else seems to. Hopefully he doesn't end up on a worse contract (I think he gets re-signed in the 1.75 to 2M per range). Yesterday he was the only player who responded to the Clutterbuck bench spear.

Hansen just seems...redundant at this point. He has have good point totals for this season but doesn't add much in terms of possession nor playing very much on the PK this year.

The one thing he brings, as VanillaCoke noted, is speed. Which I agree the team is lacking in. My preference would be to bring in a fast 2nd line LW and bottom 6 C (upgrade on Richardson), thus his speed wouldn't be noticeably missed.

As you noted he's a far worse player than Hansen. On similar contracts it's a no brainer who they SHOULD move out.

Realistically, the team can't afford to move depth right now. Earliest time for a trade is the draft.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto

He could be our offering to the hockey gods.

"Look, we already have a top-6 forward on the IR, please don't take another defenseman!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad