The Armchair GM Thread - Part LXXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
The Canucks already have too many RWers as is. I do like Ward but where does he fit?

Ward plays the heavy game that works so well in the playoffs. If he can hang with Ovy and Backstrom he'll shoot up our RW depth chart when the games matter.

Unfortunately like when Gillis was GM and went hard after Ward we'll probably be outbid.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
I'd rather have minimal UFA signings and give more spots to some of our young players. Move out some vets too:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Baertschi-Horvat-Burrows
Virtanen-Bonino-Hansen
Kenins-Gaunce-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Clendening
Sbisa-Corrado
Stanton

... Agreed oddly. This is exactly what I would prefer to go with except with a UFA vet 4C (Richardson's injury issues this year really turned me off of him going forward). Someone like Santorelli would be of interest, Kenins - Santo - Dorsett is a 4th line I can get behind. Maybe swap Bonino and Horvat as I like the idea of Bo and Virt playing together simply because I like to imagine them being best friends in the future :innocent:

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Besides, the goal would probably be to have the 2nd pairing be a couple BC boys in Hamhuis/Franson. That would be a terrific duo to have behind a top shutdown pairing and a boon to the PP.

Doesn't sound like that's the plan to me (from the source at least):
If it's is a pure cap dump I see Bieksa gone. If it is a hockey trade I see Hamhuis gone. If they think they have a shot at Franson I can see both gone.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Doesn't sound like that's the plan to me (from the source at least):

I don't think they will look to move Hamhuis this offseason. If they don't see eye to eye on an extension, maybe at the deadline depending how things are going.

Fully expect them to ask Bieksa to waive. The guy just isn't an asset to this team.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I know. Her posts have been allowed to persist due to that track record. Not so for the other source.

-------------

Just general musings: While it seems like there's some smoke about Vrbata getting dealt, I'm not sure how they don't ask Burrows to waive (again)? They did it last offseason (per rumour). Maybe they try again?

Yeah I don't mind that as long as we get him off the roster. Thing is he is not even a reliable #6. We can call up any AHL D and they can probably perform at the same level as Sbisa

It's really really damn scary that they are seriously contemplating the idea of dumping Hamhuis and Bieksa and going with

Edler Franson
Sbisa Tanev
Corrado Clendenning

I mean I put Tanev there because he is probably the only guy that can mop up Sbisa's crap

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't think advanced stats back this up at all.

If you think Franson is a worse player than Bieksa, you must be thinking of a different Franson...

Besides, the goal would probably be to have the 2nd pairing be a couple BC boys in Hamhuis/Franson. That would be a terrific duo to have behind a top shutdown pairing and a boon to the PP.

The obvious issue will be the term he's looking for. Don't know if he's the guy to invest in for 5 years.

At equal salary I'd rather have Franson over Weber. He's more proven, probably a bit better passer, and a local guy.

But I don't think the difference is huge and I don't think the way to build a winning team is to pay $3-4 million for marginal upgrades on bargain players.

I don't think he was terribly good defensively in Toronto, and I don't think the advanced stats say a lot either way. He struggled badly in Nashville and was benched at times there.

To me he's a #5 guy who does a pretty good job on the PP.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
You would have to be a complete and utter moron to offer Chris Higgins $4mil going forward. When the speed and intensity ramps up come playoff time he doesn't have another gear, and gets swallowed up by half way decent opposition, rendering him completely useless. There is a reason he has 10 points in 40 playoff games in his Canuck career.

What should you pay a playoff choker with 1 point in his last 34 playoff games? 0 goals in 43 playoff games?

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
So, are they hoping that one of Cassels or Gaunce is ready to slot in to the 4C spot with Vey as the contigency plan? Or is it the other way around? Looks like these are the options barring a trade or signing a UFA. If they were planning on doing the latter, wouldn't they just try to re-sign Richardson?

Dude, the playoffs are still going on now. The team isn't set yet. Relax, enjoy the playoffs.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Well they are thinking of both.

Not sure they move Hamhuis at this point. He's a quiet leader and great role model for the younger players coming in and the Canucks don't really have a young left shot defenseman ready to step up into the a top 6 role and I'm not sure a Left shot D depth chart of Edler, Sbisa, Stanton is very enticing for the Canucks. Then there is the fact they just announced that training camp is going to PG, so I think that points to the fact that they aren't looking to trade Hamhuis this summer.

Are there any UFA left shot defensemen out there that would be a good #3 defenseman for the Canucks? Would a team trade for Hamhuis and give up a younger but lesser left shot defenseman in the deal?

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
So, are they hoping that one of Cassels or Gaunce is ready to slot in to the 4C spot with Vey as the contigency plan? Or is it the other way around? Looks like these are the options barring a trade or signing a UFA. If they were planning on doing the latter, wouldn't they just try to re-sign Richardson?

If I was to guess whats going on is both sides are waiting to see what the cap is (it hasn't been officially announced yet) and what the market looks like.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I'm guessing Vey will be penciled in as a roster regular again next season in that #4 center spot. Which would be disappointing, obviously.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
At equal salary I'd rather have Franson over Weber... He struggled badly in Nashville and was benched at times there.

I couple of points about his Nashville struggles: He was injured and was forced to play his off-side while there.

Cody Franson, who participated in Tuesday's practice in a white, no-contact jersey, sported a blue jersey this morning. Laviolette said Franson is still listed as day-to-day.

Adam Vingan
‏@AdamVingan
Poile on Franson/Santorelli trade: "The fact that Franson was a right-handed shot...wasn't the perfect situation for Franson or for us."

-----------------

On Joel Ward: Surprising, but it makes sense if they are trying to find an ideal fit for the Sedins during their end time here. The News1130 tweet is interesting though, in that it seems like the Canucks would interest Ward, not that they are necessarily interested in him.

@News1130Sports: Sources tell me that Vancouver would be on a list of teams that would interest Joel Ward when he hits market. #Canucks

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
If I was to guess whats going on is both sides are waiting to see what the cap is (it hasn't been officially announced yet) and what the market looks like.

Could be - assuming they don't plan to move one of the bigger contracts (e.g. Bieksa or Vrbata).

I'm guessing Vey will be penciled in as a roster regular again next season in that #4 center spot. Which would be disappointing, obviously.

Here's hoping that one of Gaunce or Cassels comes into camp and earns a spot ahead of Vey.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Franson is basically a taller Yannick Weber at likely triple the price.

He's a 3rd-pairing defender who skates poorly, struggles defensively, and needs sheltered minutes. He's useful on the PP.

He's not someone you give a big UFA contract to, even remotely.

Sbranson would be even more terrifying than Sbieksa.

Yeah. No thanks at all on Franson.

There's a reason teams are tripping over themselves in a rush to let this guy go.

He's a decent enough PP option, and a poor overall option. Niche player, not a guy you give significant money/term to.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC

Gaunce and/or Grenier look like they may be ready to make a push on the 4th line. Would be nice if they can prove themselves in camp next year. I would doubt that Cassels has a shot at making an immediate transition without at least a year or two in Utica.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of free agents looking to cash in be interested in signing here, they all saw what Sbisa and Dorsett got

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of free agents looking to cash in be interested in signing here, they all saw what Sbisa and Dorsett got

with what cap space after what sbisa and dorsett got?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

If they can find an upgrade at Center to bolster the depth at a crucial position, that would be swell. Someone at least a notch above Richardson.

Alternatively, if they were to hit the UFA market, you can probably find more of a "bargain" on a Richardson-level player who isn't just coming off one of his strongest seasons. Find a deal on an underutilized guy like Richardson was when he was initially signed with the Canucks and a bunch of people were worried about how much money they gave a "spare part". :laugh:

I'd be happy to have Richie back as the #4C, but if he's after too much money...so be it. Replaceable player. Heck, if they could find a comparable level player with a RH shot for faceoffs that would be pretty ideal. We've really been lacking that since Kesler and Lappy have been gone.

I can quite confidently say that Gaunce isn't a guy they're expecting to play Center, especially with the Canucks next year. They seem to view him as a winger, which is just one of several obstacles.

And i'm extremely skeptical of the idea that they'd have any expectations other than Utica for Cassels next year...he's going to have to show that his footspeed can hold up at the Pro level before i'd expect the pencil Cassels into anything NHL level.

I really do think/hope that Benning is still on the prowl looking for a "bigger bodied center" to add to the team. A guy like Berglund whom he allegedly targeted last year in a nixed Garrison deal. Bo is a step in the right direction, but i think Benning of all people probably recognized how easy to push around our center icemen were at times last year.

Don't see how we could afford either of them with the Sbisa and Dorsett raises so not too surprising. Should have sold high on Matthias at the deadline like the pro-draft crowd wanted. Guy was a ghost for the rest of the season and probably could have returned at least a 2nd given what Winnik got.

I really don't see our cap situation next year being quite as dire as you're making it sound. It's not terrific and we don't have the money as it stands now, to go out and buy ourselves another UFA top-6F or top-4D. But a depth guy or two shouldn't be out of the question at all, and if a bigger contract does end up moved out (say Bieksa's $4.6M which seems a possibility), that's plenty of room to work with on a reasonably priced UFA.

Also depends a bit on where the cap lands...but the latest estimates i've seen from Bettman indicated it may be as much as $73M, which would give us a decent enough amount of room.

Yeah I don't mind that as long as we get him off the roster. Thing is he is not even a reliable #6. We can call up any AHL D and they can probably perform at the same level as Sbisa

It's really really damn scary that they are seriously contemplating the idea of dumping Hamhuis and Bieksa and going with

Edler Franson
Sbisa Tanev
Corrado Clendenning

I mean I put Tanev there because he is probably the only guy that can mop up Sbisa's crap

I can pretty much guarantee that's not a defence corps they'd contemplate, with 4 RH shots like that. Other realistic issues aside...old school "throwback" guys like that care as much as anybody about "handedness" on their D-pairings, and the uncommonness of RH shooting D playing their "off side".

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
There's a reason teams are tripping over themselves in a rush to let this guy go.

What teams would those be? The one that paid essentially a 1st + Leipsic + Lindstrom to _bring_him_back_ after drafting him? Or, the one that had him on the top pair + top PP unit?

Franson makes sense as a target on a lot of levels. He's not an ideal fit, but his skillset is something they lack. He fits an age range for them, and allows them to move Bieksa. He checks off a lot of boxes, but not all of them... that's FA for you.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Gaunce and/or Grenier look like they may be ready to make a push on the 4th line. Would be nice if they can prove themselves in camp next year. I would doubt that Cassels has a shot at making an immediate transition without at least a year or two in Utica.

I think Friesen has the best chance among our minor league forwards to make it out of camp. Especially if we don't acquire a real 4th line center.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
joel ward is an excellent 'overpay for a single year and trade at deadline' player if this team was serious about rebuilding

of course theyd probably rather sign him to a 5 year contract to get maximum value out of his useless old man years

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
ok.. in my chair with arms....

Pray for the following:
Kassian's back holds up. Cross fingers that Virtanen sticks and is effective.
Developmental steps forward by Sbisa, Baertschi, Vey, Horvat, Kenins, Tanev, Clendenning, Corrado, Kassian.

Trade high on Vrbata. Shed Bieksa. Trade Lack. : return... 4 or 5 picks and/or prospects...
Let Matthias walk. Let Richardson limp.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Baertschi-Bonino-Virtanen
Higgins-Horvat-Burrows
Hansen-Vey-Dorsett

Callups: Kenins, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Grenier...

Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis, Sbisa, Weber, Clendenning, Corrado

Miller-Markstrom

I had "Trade Higgins"... but at $2.5 mil, he still holds tremendous value to our PK and our depth. Just not in the top 6. I said before last season... this team is in scoring trouble if you need Higgins in the top 6.

Use cap space to sign a healthy version of a Richardson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad