The Armchair GM Thread - Part LXXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
The defense looks strong, with several players coming. But up front most of the franchise's best prospects are already in Detroit. And one player, former No. 1 pick Anthony Mantha, has not come close to meeting expectations.

"Very, very, very disappointing," said Wings Senior Vice President Jim Devellano, who saw the Griffins play their final three games, including Sunday's 3-1 win, over the Toronto Marlies. "And I say that with a lot of sadness. Coming out of junior, we had such high hopes for him."

In his first professional season after a splendid junior career, Mantha, a 6-foot-5, 195-pound left wing, had 15 goals and 33 points in 62 games in the regular season. He has one assist in five playoff games.

http://www.foxsports.com/detroit/st...uccess-bodes-well-for-red-wings-future-050415

What's going on in Detroit? Why are they calling out one of their best prospects already?

If DET is really that down on Mantha, may be worth exploring cost.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It is absolutely amazing that the Red Wings let Jim Devellano get anywhere near reporters, especially after he compared players to "cattle" back in 2012 and cost the organization $250,000 in fines.

Yes the Wings can't be happy with Jimmy D throwing their top prospect under the bus....sort of like Burkie doing a number of Baertschi, although I guess as the President of the Flames operation you have the right....can't really understand these kind of quotes though...are they designed to be a motivator?....usually has the opposite effect....Mantha reminds me of our version of Nik Jensen, only a little younger....lol...wondering if we can trade our Nik Jensen for the Wings Nick Jensen?:laugh:

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
If we trade Jensen to the red-wings he'll probably end up a perennial Rocket Richard and Hart Trophy winner.

And Mantha will be ECHL fodder.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Just another example of frustration from a hockey man after a playoff loss. These are deeply invested people and sometimes, like with the Vrbata assessment, they are upset and overstate things. NBD.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Starting this thread off with a quick questuion.

Lets say somehow we get a deal with Edm for Lack, plus whatever for a first. they give us the choice, pits 16th overall this season or Edm first next year, which pick to you take?

Keep in mind Crosby's first year in the League where he scored 102 points still had pits at the bottom of the league.

Do we think new management can turn the oil around that quick?

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Just another example of frustration from a hockey man after a playoff loss. These are deeply invested people and sometimes, like with the Vrbata assessment, they are upset and overstate things. NBD.

The Griffins won their series vs Toronto though.

Guru Meditation of the Detroit boards found other quotes from Holland and Babcock on Mantha's disappointing performance.

Here are some more moderated comments from Holland and Babcock (audio):

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comment...nd-and-mike-babcocks-in-grand-rapids-pressers

Babcock says something like Mantha has "serious, serious work to do this offseason" and Holland says something a little more moderated. Basically, it's all the same message, but Jimmy D put it about the worst way he could have.

Both men said that another highly prized Wings prospect, Anthony Mantha, has had a trying first year in the AHL. Both said he will have to put in a summer of hard work in the gym.

"I think Anthony's going through some adversity," Holland said. "He's obviously got some great assets, and now he's going to have to learn to improve in the areas that the NHL says he needs to improve on."

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...cock-leaves-future-open-speculation/26849841/

To me it sounds like the Detroit organization is concerned with Mantha's transition to the pro level and feels he needs to up his work ethic, especially with regards to fitness.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009

Lets say somehow we get a deal with Edm for Lack, plus whatever for a first. they give us the choice, pits 16th overall this season or Edm first next year, which pick to you take?

Keep in mind Crosby's first year in the League where he scored 102 points still had pits at the bottom of the league.

I'd take their 2016 1st, although there will probably be some nice players around at 16 this year.

They'd need a 36 point increase to match Pittsburgh's total this year. With the new lottery format a pick in the 8-14 range (where I'd expect Edmonton to end up next year) could pay off quite well.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yikes. Accurate or not, that's not really the kind of stuff you want to be saying to the press.

Wow!...a big red-flag here...sounds like he isn't making the commitment off-ice to build up his body and stamina for the pro-hockey game.....this is what makes veterans like the Sedins so valuable as an example for younger players.....despite having made millions, they're freakishly committed to physical fitness and stamina....young guys like Horvat learn quickly how hard you have to work to make the NHL and stay there.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
Yikes. Accurate or not, that's not really the kind of stuff you want to be saying to the press.

I don't think it's all that bad of a thing to say.

IMO, if you preach accountability, that means being accountable everywhere.

Maybe Mantha doesn't turn out because he isn't able to handle the pressure of being called out in the press, but other players will. As long as you aren't blind-siding players (i.e. you're talking to them beforehand about these issues) I don't see a problem with it.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon

Easily their 2016 pick. Highly doubt they make the playoffs next year. And even if they do they likely won't make it past the first round. So really a top 20 pick at worst. I'm willing to take the chances.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
Trade Sbisa for Cowen. One less year on Cowen's deal, and WD could see how terrible Cowen is and not play him 19 minutes per game in the playoffs because he didn't come in Kesler trade.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Edler, Vrbata, and Lack deals

I have a bit of time to kill and have nothing better to do, so I thought I'd come up with some trade ideas:

To Edmonton: Alex Edler, Eddie Lack.
To Vancouver: Justin Schultz, 16th overall pick, 33rd overall pick.

To Montreal: Radim Vrbata
To Vancouver: Jarred Tinordi, 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Baertschi-Horvat-Kassian
Higgins-Bonino-Hansen (move Hansen if Virtanen is good enough to make team).
Kenins-Gaunce-Dorsett

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Sbisa-Tanev
Tinordi-Schultz

Miller
Markstrom

-Canucks get two young defensemen (Schultz and Tinordi) that "might" get to that next level sooner than later. No guarantees obviously (which is why these two could be had), but the upside is certainly there for both. Canucks have enough prospects up front and so this helps fill the cupboards on the back-end.

-Canucks should have enough cap space to sign a significant free agent (either on D or up front).

-From the Oilers, the Canucks get two more picks in a deep draft, which obviously might help us in the Bo Horvat era.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I have a bit of time to kill and have nothing better to do, so I thought I'd come up with some trade ideas:

To Edmonton: Alex Edler, Eddie Lack.
To Vancouver: Justin Schultz, 16th overall pick, 33rd overall pick.

To Montreal: Radim Vrbata
To Vancouver: Jarred Tinordi, 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Baertschi-Horvat-Kassian
Higgins-Bonino-Hansen (move Hansen if Virtanen is good enough to make team).
Kenins-Gaunce-Dorsett

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Sbisa-Tanev
Tinordi-Schultz

Miller
Markstrom

-Canucks get two young defensemen (Schultz and Tinordi) that "might" get to that next level sooner than later. No guarantees obviously (which is why these two could be had), but the upside is certainly there for both. Canucks have enough prospects up front and so this helps fill the cupboards on the back-end.

-Canucks should have enough cap space to sign a significant free agent (either on D or up front).

-From the Oilers, the Canucks get two more picks in a deep draft, which obviously might help us in the Bo Horvat era.

Not good for Nucks

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Edler+Lack/Miller for Yakupov+Pitts 1st
Hamhuis+Gaunce for Early 1st(Barzal)
Bieksa+Kassian for mid-late 1st
FA'S Walk
Sign Sekera 3 year 4.75 million per
Sign Ehrhoff 1 year 3.75 million per
Sign C.Franson 4 year 4.75 million per

Draft Barzal, Harkins, Kylington, Konecny.

Then we have Virtanen, Horvat, Mantha, Barzal, Harkins, Kylington, Konecny, Shinkaruk as the future.

Next year lineup:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Baertschi-Bonino-Virtanen
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen
Kenins-UFA-Dorsett
Rookies/Vey

Sekera-Tanev
Ehrhoff-Franson
Sbisa-Clendening/Corrado
Weber/Stanton

Lack/Miller
Markstrom

Not happening, but that was fun! :laugh:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I would reserve Hamhuis for more of a home-run package of futures.

I'd call Detroit regarding something around a Jensen-for-Mantha swap. Couple of struggling prospects, give them a chance with a change in scenery.

Bingo. If they say no then I'd look at Bieksa (with salary retained) for Mantha to see if they'd bite.

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
Bieksa or hamhuis for mantha

Miller + hamhuis for 16th overall from edm +

package 16th overall to move up to 5 - 10 range overall

Draft Barzal.

Home grown boys Barzal + virtanen along with other canucks prospects horvat, shinkaruk to lead canucks to cup in near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad