The Armchair GM Thread - Part LXXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Based on news from the trade threads...

Washington's first (22nd overall) for Vrbata.

Higgins to Montreal for their 2016 2nd.

Miller to Edmonton for Montreal's 2nd and Edmonton's 3rd this year.

We clear 13.5 million in cap space for picks. Frolik, Williams, Beauchemin, Ward, Ehrhoff, Belesky, Martin, Vermette, St Louis, Soderberg, Franson, Green, Erat, Fleishmann, Gonchar, Fisher, Cole, Jackman, Brewer, Ryder or Ribero are all still free agents.

Put the pipe down.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This is going from memory only, but I recall JR having interest in Higgins. Could be a fit there. Edit: Beau Bennett has fallen out of favour there. It might be possible to get him for a more established winger.

Pouliot would be nice. There's also Bowey for Vrbata...

I'd really doubt Pouliot is on the table...but even Harrington or Dumoulin might be interesting pieces, depending on who we'd be sending the other way.

Bennett on the other hand, i wouldn't be terribly interested in, personally. I think he's largely living off draft pedigree at this point...he's really struggled. And it's not as though Pittsburgh is an absolutely dire place for a young offensive winger to get an opportunity if they're worthy.

Between Baertschi and Vey (who have both shown more imo), i'd say we're pretty full up on "reclamation project" type forwards who have struggled to really establish themselves in the NHL, for the time being.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'd really doubt Pouliot is on the table...but even Harrington or Dumoulin might be interesting pieces, depending on who we'd be sending the other way.

Bennett on the other hand, i wouldn't be terribly interested in, personally. I think he's largely living off draft pedigree at this point...he's really struggled. And it's not as though Pittsburgh is an absolutely dire place for a young offensive winger to get an opportunity if they're worthy.

Between Baertschi and Vey (who have both shown more imo), i'd say we're pretty full up on "reclamation project" type forwards who have struggled to really establish themselves in the NHL, for the time being.

Probably right.

A 2nd for Higgins might be best. I'd take that over either Harrington or Dumoulin. PIT doesn't have a 2nd this year to deal though...

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Trade potentials shift every day, this time of year. A new coach in two Canadian markets affects values of players. Adding McLellen in Edmonton might mean Miller's value is increased, or Bieksa's? Babcock in Toronto might mean Hamhuis is in demand?

Benning has some interesting contacts in Edmonton and Boston. If he can pry picks out of Edmonton and players out of Boston, he needs little from FA.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Listening to the radio this Morning they had a good point. The Canucks are not ready to suffer and build through the draft. If they really want to contend and win the cup its time to build through the draft and with pieces like hamhuis.vrbata,Edler and lack you can speed the rebuild up. I think the only untouchable should be horvat,Tanev and the rest of our high end prospects.

I think if they really want to contend this would be the best path

Columbus
Alex edler
small plus

Canucks
8 OA

Avs
hamhuis
23rd

Canucks
10OA

OILERS
Lack+

CANUCKS
16OA

Washington
Vrbata

Canucks
22nd OA

hurricanes
8OA
16OA

Canucks
5 OA

hurricanes our looking for crouse and could move down in the draft, Columbus desperately needs D man and can contend now. Avs are in the same boat, with this kind of thinking for the future you could easily speed up the rebuild it might not go like this but you can easily get first rounders for Vrbata and hamhuis. Edler is worth alot as well along with lack you have a huge bundle of assets to speed up the rebuild. In 2016 draft that number the need you have and be in the top 5-8 worst team in the league for a year or two. Be committed to win the stanley cup not just make the playoffs

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
Listening to the radio this Morning they had a good point. The Canucks are not ready to suffer and build through the draft. If they really want to contend and win the cup its time to build through the draft and with pieces like hamhuis.vrbata,Edler and lack you can speed the rebuild up. I think the only untouchable should be horvat,Tanev and the rest of our high end prospects.

Columbus
Alex edler
small plus

Canucks
8 OA

Avs
hamhuis
23rd

Canucks
10OA

OILERS
Lack+

CANUCKS
16OA

Washington
Vrbata

Canucks
22nd OA

hurricanes
8OA
16OA

Canucks
5 OA

hurricanes our looking for crouse and could move down in the draft, Columbus desperately needs D man and can contend now. Avs are in the same boat, with this kind of thinking for the future you could easily speed up the rebuild it might not go like this but you can easily get first rounders for Vrbata and hamhuis. Edler is worth alot as well along with lack you have a huge bundle of assets to speed up the rebuild. In 2016 draft that number the need you have and be in the top 5-8 worst team in the league for a year or two. Be committed to win the stanley cup not just make the playoffs

I don't think Lack could fetch mid 1st round pick especially from oilers. That plus has to be a significant piece. Would oilers still be interested in another goalie? They should target dman first.

candyman82

Mar 29, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA

Columbus
Alex edler
small plus

Canucks
8 OA

Avs
hamhuis
23rd

Canucks
10OA

OILERS
Lack+

CANUCKS
16OA

Washington
Vrbata

Canucks
22nd OA

hurricanes
8OA
16OA

Canucks
5 OA

Columbus's biggest need is RHD. I'm a huge fan of Edler, but I don't think this deal makes sense for the Jackets.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
http://thecanuckway.com/2015/05/21/...mo&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=snsanalytics

I agree with this article... CBJ needs veteran help on D... Benning needs to make this happen move either Bieksa or Hamhuis... could even form part of a bigger deal between the 2 teams.

Here's some info on Rychel.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/kerby-rychel/

Aside from youth, we free up cap room. Both KB and DH's contracts are attractive to CBJ with 1 year left.

:handclap:

I could see Columbus being interested in Hammer but why would they want Bieska?

Other teams also see what we know, Kevin has slipped off that cliff and his time in the NHL is very short as a top 4 Dman and 4.5 million, even for 1 year for a 5,6 guy is too steep and besides Columbus has other guys like Heatherington who could step in.

Rychel is the type of player we are lacking though, I'm just not sold on him as being a really effective top 6 forward in the NHL, some risk there.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Columbus's biggest need is RHD. I'm a huge fan of Edler, but I don't think this deal makes sense for the Jackets.

There are a lot of teams looking for veteran right D and only three attractive ones in UFA....McQuaid Michalek and Franson.

Bieksa, if he'd waive, is an obvious fit for that team. Cash hit is attractive and no long term commit. Detroit, Edmonton, Dalllas and maybe Minny are also looking for guys on that side. St Louis may be as well if they don't retain Michalek.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I don't think Lack could fetch mid 1st round pick especially from oilers. That plus has to be a significant piece. Would oilers still be interested in another goalie? They should target dman first.

They need to address both this season and address it in a big way. They should drop the 16th, 33rd, 57th, 2016 1st and Draisaitl all on the table. I am not sure what D would even be available but the first places they should look are New Jersey and Anaheim. Seabrook and Hamhuis just don't seem realistic. They can't take on the Phaneuf contract. Byfuglien seems another guy who is a 2016 UFA but maybe not the leader type they need in that dressing room (based on the events with Kane).

Signing a UFA like McQuaid or Michalek would solve one D spot....the other is going to cost a ton.

If I was the Edmonton GM I'd go straight at Anaheim...

Gibson and Fowler for Draisaitl, 16th, 33rd.

Then....
Sign Niemi
Sign McQuaid or Michalek
Sign Richardson or Matthias
Waive Scrivens

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015

Columbus
Alex edler
small plus

Canucks
8 OA

Avs
hamhuis
23rd

Canucks
10OA

OILERS
Lack+

CANUCKS
16OA

Washington
Vrbata

Canucks
22nd OA

hurricanes
8OA
16OA

Canucks
5 OA

Its all good on paper, but when you break it down in the end you are trading Edler+ and Lack+ for the 5OA which you will probably get Marner in that spot which IMO we are oerpaying, I would rather keep Columbus 8 and Edmonton 16 and draft Provarov at 8, Zacha/Crouse/ at #10, Meier/Merkley/Konecny/Bittner at 16 and then Roy/Kylington/Zobril atBest case scenario IMO would be we get Provarov, Crouse, Konecny and Klylington which agin IMO is better than getting Marner and Crouse, especially when we need D prospects

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I can't believe Benning will be satisfied going into this draft with just the 23rd overall selection in the first round and then not picking until 113th in the fourth round....Obviously he will want to regain a second and a third at least, but who does he trade off of the current roster to acquire additional picks?......will it be a veteran d-man or is he looking at some sort of multi-player trade?....failing that, it could be a boring draft for the 'Nucks otherwise.:help:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I can't believe Benning will be satisfied going into this draft with just the 23rd overall selection in the first round and then not picking until 113th in the fourth round....Obviously he will want to regain a second and a third at least, but who does he trade off of the current roster to acquire additional picks?......will it be a veteran d-man or is he looking at some sort of multi-player trade?....failing that, it could be a boring draft for the 'Nucks otherwise.:help:

Where did he say that? When?

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Quoting from a different thread here:

They will keep Vey around if Richardson and Matthias leave. We'd be a little shy on experienced centres. I hate that idea, but it is what it is.
...but speaking of settling for mediocre at forward positions, is anyone else paranoid that they'll be shortly announcing that McMillan has been re-signed?

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

Where did he say that? When?

Does the obvious need to be said by anyone?

Having only the 23rd pick then nothing until the 114th isn't a good thing for a team with an old core and still a weak prospect system in terms of depth and really top end prospects.

2010, 07 and 06 doesn't need to be repeated here does it?

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Horvat is the only Canuck that will fetch a first round pick in this Summer's draft. Pie in the sky trades can fix any team, even Toronto.

Canucks need an absolute superstar defenseman like Weber or Byfuglien. Canucks need a first line. Canucks need to have a hitter (with weight!) on every line.

Canucks have goaltending. Canucks have a big minute shut-down pairing. Canucks have an elite second line. Canucks have an elite third line. Canucks have an emerging center.

Benning has pieces to deal. Bieksa and Hamhuis do not fit in an Edler led defense. The team has three goalies. Veteran forwards are nearing the end of their useful time here. These players can be packaged to exploit what market there is. Since they are all de facto salary dumps, do not expect a giant return. If Benning cannot peddle players for picks he might have to keep them. That would end the free agent option. Accepting any offer and relying on cronies might avoid this but even then, the return will not be significant. The real return is freed cap space and open slots for young players, not the late second round pick or whatever.

Benning's genius has been adding washed up FAs and getting good seasons out of them. Desjardins rolling four lines has helped shroud an old, rotten core. It is a real danger Benning follows this route again and adds Ehrhoff and Ward. He can overpay them, so they feel obligated. This works to a point. Propping up the old core worked this season until the playoffs started and the Canucks were woefully exposed. Adding old free agents and keeping the core intact will certainly result in no playoffs to worry about, though. The other teams in the division aren't static!

Aquilini might set the bar higher, so everybody isn't happy to just make the playoffs. This would mean major changes!

I advocate buying out Bieksa and adding him to the coaching staff in Utica. Treating a player with respect is breaking new ground, I know but these are desperate times.

Sign Franson and Mattias.

Dismiss salary as a consideration in line building. If they end up icing an effective fourth line for twelve million, just do it. What does it matter in a 1-2-3-4 scheme?

Try a kid line. Kassian passing to Horvat and Baertshi might work. Relying on a thirty-five year old feature line might not. It's not even fair to ask them to carry the scoring any more. It is certainly not the time to add older players to the top six!

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
There are a lot of teams looking for veteran right D and only three attractive ones in UFA....McQuaid Michalek and Franson.

Bieksa, if he'd waive, is an obvious fit for that team. Cash hit is attractive and no long term commit. Detroit, Edmonton, Dalllas and maybe Minny are also looking for guys on that side. St Louis may be as well if they don't retain Michalek.

Yeah. The RH shot factor with Bieksa could really help us out there, along with his "reputation" as a good ol' Grimsby boy you "go to war with" and all the rest. With a cash value below his caphit and only that one year remaining on his deal...i think he could be a more attractive piece than many are anticipating, if he's willing to waive for the right interested teams.

It also works out nicely for us, in that our top-2 "NHL ready" defensive prospects just happen to be righties (Corrado, Clendening).

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Proud+Benning+gives+Canucks+vote+confidence/10856094/story.html

Last paragraph -"We’re going to try to recover some of these picks."- JB

After hearing him explain that Nik Jensen will need to become a "Jannik Hansen" style player to have success at the NHL level, I think it's clear Jensen will be deal for a draft pick.

The boys on 1040 theorize that he will recover the Baertschi pick - so basically they swap Baertschi for Jensen. Probably a sly move by the guy`.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
After hearing him explain that Nik Jensen will need to become a "Jannik Hansen" style player to have success at the NHL level, I think it's clear Jensen will be deal for a draft pick.

The boys on 1040 theorize that he will recover the Baertschi pick - so basically they swap Baertschi for Jensen. Probably a sly move by the guy roundly considered to be a functioning ****** by most of the posters here.

They can theorize all they want, no team is going to give up a 2nd or even a 4th, for Jensen.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

The boys on 1040 theorize that he will recover the Baertschi pick - so basically they swap Baertschi for Jensen. Probably a sly move by the guy roundly considered to be a functioning ****** by most of the posters here.

He's not going to get a 2nd for Jensen, though. I think it's more likely that he trades a guy like Higgins to recoup that pick. I don't mind a Higgins for Baertschi swap. Bonus points for getting utility out of both for half a season.

The Jesus*

They can theorize all they want, no team is going to give up a 2nd or even a 4th, for Jensen.

I've already departed from any hope for Jensen. I consider him a bust, and would not expect to get any value at all for him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

You probably couldn't get a 7th for Jensen. He's an AHL healthy scratch.

If I'm a rival GM I wouldn't take him for free because he has less value than the empty contract slot.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Yeah. The RH shot factor with Bieksa could really help us out there, along with his "reputation" as a good ol' Grimsby boy you "go to war with" and all the rest. With a cash value below his caphit and only that one year remaining on his deal...i think he could be a more attractive piece than many are anticipating, if he's willing to waive for the right interested teams.

It also works out nicely for us, in that our top-2 "NHL ready" defensive prospects just happen to be righties (Corrado, Clendening).

Trading Bieksa for any kind of value and then extending Hamhuis would be a good offseason on defence. I think realistically they're probably going to have to wait to develop the kind of player they really need back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad