OT: The Arizona Coyotes Lounge XX - The 20th Anniversary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Only took a couple of hours but I have my Vacc record. The good news is I did it with the VA and they keep everything online. The bad news is their website is hard to navigate and I ended up calling customer support to find it. But we did it.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I don't think either of these teams (Seattle, Spokane) has any top prospects. No?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
No idea if I saw any future NHL stars, but the Seattle - Spokane game was fun. Tickets were cheap.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
No idea if I saw any future NHL stars, but the Seattle - Spokane game was fun. Tickets were cheap.

Yeah, ya just never know.

When I moved here in 1994 in August, not knowing anyone and having nothing better to do, I went to a roller hockey game in the AVMC, the Phoenix Cobras...I'd seen maybe 5 hockey games in my life at the time, and never a roller hockey one....just put two and two together this month that two of the "stars" of that team are now my teammates in Gilbert on Tuesday nights. Who'da thunk, right?

Reactions: MIGs Dog

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
He's already drafted by Dallas but Connor Roulette on Seattle plays a lot like Clayton Keller.

The top 3 scorers for Seattle, including Roulette, were scratched. Don't know why, but that was a bummer.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
The problem with many of the pandemic rules is that they fail to fully account for the side effects to individuals and society. The impact on children with remote learning; the mental health costs as drug ODs skyrocket. Every action has 2nd and 3rd order effects. Cost-benefit analysis is completely AWOL.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I think my problem with the people who play the what-about card on mental health for decisions being made on covid fail to take into account that same aspect if other decisions are made, as in - yes, your so-called 'freedom' may be preserved, but if the ramifications of that other decision include more hospitalizations, deaths, what-have-you, now you've got the mental health of the extra people that get sick, their friends and families, their health care workers, their co-workers....it isn't like allaying the mental health of people who struggle with coping with a pandemic in certain ways isn't going to affect things.

And I say this as one who thinks in general mental health is treated far too cavalierly here.

Reactions: Tom Polakis

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
"Because of Covid, I got a runny nose..." Again, it's all about me, not about spreading it to others.

Yes, there's a cost-benefit analysis, but we're trying to slow the spread when the cost is lives. The top plot shows what is happening to cases per day. Omicron may be milder, but the hospitalization plot below it has a pretty steep slope in the past five days. It remains to be seen if it's as deadly, but a reasonable extrapolation suggests that we will reach a new peak in hospitalizations in the next couple weeks.

upload_2021-12-31_7-35-42.png

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
"Because of Covid, I got a runny nose..." Again, it's all about me, not about spreading it to others.

Yes, there's a cost-benefit analysis, but we're trying to slow the spread when the cost is lives. The top plot shows what is happening to cases per day. Omicron may be milder, but the hospitalization plot below it has a pretty steep slope in the past five days. It remains to be seen if it's as deadly, but a reasonable extrapolation suggests that we will reach a new peak in hospitalizations in the next couple weeks.

View attachment 494419
Wow. I had no idea. I keep hearing it’s mild. Didn’t know hospitalizations were up. Scary.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Wow. I had no idea. I keep hearing it’s mild. Didn’t know hospitalizations were up. Scary.

All indications are that Omicron is indeed significantly milder.

Making up some numbers here: if you have 20 times as many cases per day and one tenth as many hospitalizations per case, the number of hospitalizations will double. That's the concern, anyway.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
All indications are that Omicron is indeed significantly milder.

Making up some numbers here: if you have 20 times as many cases per day and one tenth as many hospitalizations per case, the number of hospitalizations will double. That's the concern, anyway.
Are vaccinated people ending up in the ER? Isn’t half the country vaccinated? Up from 0% a year ago? Why isn’t that help ing?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
but if the ramifications of that other decision include more hospitalizations, deaths, what-have-you,

Maybe, but hard to prove. Have lockdown societies faired better than the alternative?

but we're trying to slow the spread when the cost is lives

Has it worked? Have the countries with more severe restrictions faired better in deaths per capita than the alternative? It's hard to calculate for many reasons, one of which is the vast disparity in how different nations count COVID deaths.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
We're still in our delta wave,
I wouldn't jump to hospitalization conclusions about Omicron variant based on US data. Hell the CDC cant even agree with itself what percentage of cases are Omicron vs Delta.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Maybe, but hard to prove. Have lockdown societies faired better than the alternative?

Has it worked? Have the countries with more severe restrictions faired better in deaths per capita than the alternative? It's hard to calculate for many reasons, one of which is the vast disparity in how different nations count COVID deaths.
Take a look at Sweden, New look at the Countries surrounding it. Now compare Canada to US. No idea how one couldn't conclude restrictions work.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I wouldn't jump to hospitalization conclusions about Omicron variant based on US data. Hell the CDC cant even agree with itself what percentage of cases are Omicron vs Delta.
Isn't Omicron now over 60% of cases in the US?

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Are vaccinated people ending up in the ER? Isn’t half the country vaccinated? Up from 0% a year ago? Why isn’t that help ing?

Vaccinations are helping quite a bit. At the risk of inflaming those on this board who don't trust (or are incapable of interpreting) worldwide data, people in the hospitals are mostly not vaccinated. If you still have half of the population in this category, there will be a lot of hospitalizations. Imagine how overwhelmed the system would currently be if we were still at 0%!

Now that 90 percent of those above the age of 65 in the U.S. are vaccinated, the demographic has changed. The proportion of young people in hospitals has been increasing, while older folks see their hospitalization numbers steadily decreasing.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

"The highest number of confirmed coronavirus (COVID-19) deaths in the Nordic countries as of December 15, 2021, had occurred in Sweden at 15,191. Denmark followed with 3,051 deaths, Finland with 1,445, and Norway with 1,202.

Sweden was also the Nordic country with the highest number of people confirmed infected with the coronavirus, reaching a total of 1,246,755 cases as of December 15, 2021. More statistics and facts about the virus are available here."

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ

Agree to some extent on the restrictions; there are many confounding variables.

However, there's no disparity in counting Covid deaths. You simply use excess deaths: what's the typical annual death count from 2015 through 2019? This number has remarkably small scatter. Then you simply subtract that number from deaths in 2020 or 2021. You typically get a slightly larger number of "extraneous" deaths than those reported by hospitals. Since people aren't significantly committing suicide at a higher rate or getting in more fatal car crashes, the difference is Covid deaths. Science-types love it when disparate methods yield comparable results.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Isn't Omicron now over 60% of cases in the US?

Maybe? CDC said something like 22%, then 70%, then 50% in the span of about 36 hours. I don't think they know.

But deaths lag and current cases over the last two weeks being Omicron don't meant current deaths are as a result of Omicron.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ

See the second plot in Post #987. It's been only about a week, but it's hard to argue that the sudden, sharp rise in hospitalization has anything to do with the Delta variant, which has been around for months.

Reactions: lanky

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Maybe? CDC said something like 22%, then 70%, then 50% in the span of about 36 hours. I don't think they know.

But deaths lag and current cases over the last two weeks being Omicron don't meant current deaths are as a result of Omicron.

Yeah, I doubt that any U.S. deaths so far are a result of Omicron. However, hospitalizations track positive cases with a very short lag, and those are rising quickly. Hasn't really reached Arizona yet; it's mostly in states with large international travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad