Speculation: The annual "Guess the Avs Trades" thread

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Ideally we'd spend our 1sts on players with term and retention, but probably won't happen. But we'll see. I don't think we stand pat with a wide open West.

Last week would have been a great time to make a trade since they weren't playing for what felt like an eternity, but this is there most exciting time of the regular season so I'm ready to be hurt again

Reactions: Azrael89

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
- JVR 50% retained for Sampo Ranta + 2025 2nd
- Adam Henrique(50% retained) + Dmitry Kulikov for 2023 1st + Malgin

Landy - Mack - Nuke
Lehky - JTC - Mikko
JVR - Henrique - ERod
LOC - Newhook - Cogliano
Nieto - Helm

Toews - Makar
Byram - Girard
Kulikov - Manson
Englund - EJ

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I'm guessing some combination of Greg Sampson from CBJ, or Charlie Leftwold from Detroit will be coming our way. There's an outside chance of Brian Eck too, from Vegas but I'm not sure on that.

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
I'm guessing some combination of Greg Sampson from CBJ, or Charlie Leftwold from Detroit will be coming our way. There's an outside chance of Brian Eck too, from Vegas but I'm not sure on that.
Lol. Who the hell are any of these guys?

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
To Chicago: Ranta and 2025 2nd
To Colorado: Sam Lafferty, Jack Johnson, 2023 5th round pick

or if they go 'bigger'

To AZ: 2023 First Round Pick, Ben Meyers, Andreas Englund
To Colorado: Schmaltz (25 percent AZ retention), Shane Gostibehere (50 percent retention)

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Adam Henrique retained for 2023 1st+Ranta. Cheap 2C for this season and next, and probably the best we can afford with our limited assets to spend.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Will cost more than that for them to retain 50% on Hayes for 2 more seasons. That's a ton of retention.

That package IMO would cost 1st + Newhook + something
Agreed 100%, but doesn't the acquisition of Hayes render Newhook somewhat obsolete? He'll get offers from teams who want to pay him $4M+ (maybe even $5M) to be a 2W. He'd be ineffective as a 3C here with the Blender of wings he would see. He might opt to leave regardless.

I suppose this requires a rebuild / retool / blow the entire thing up dialogue. And that might be a good thread in itself: When should the Avs blow it up? And I mean really blow it up. Is there sense to trying for 3 more years of window, then move EVERYONE not named Makar for picks and prospects? (Personally, I have my reasons to be against this strategy, but it is a valid question and strategy.) Malgin /LBN / LOC seems like it could be as good as Cogs/ Helm / LOC as a 4th line for the next 3 years. Lines 1 & 2 would be stocked if Hayes at 50% could arrive. The third line would suck, but the Avs just won a cup with a crappy third line.

Personally, I'd like to see the Avs keep Foudy and Behrens. But if SakMac decide to go hard for 3 more years, then break up the band, I'd be fine with giving away every remaining 2023 and 2024 pick, Meyers, OO and any other asset not named Foudy or Behrens. We all disagree on almost anything in here, but I think all agree that too many GMs screw themselves by trying to stretch out a window with little to no chance of a cup. So does it make sense to go all in for 3 years, then send Landy, Mac, Mikko, Nuke, Lehky, the newly acquired Hayes out for picks and prospects? For that matter, what would Calgary give the Avs in 4 years for a Makar homecoming? Keep Byram and pull a massive return from Makar?

Reactions: niwotsblessing

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Lol. Who the hell are any of these guys?
Hah.
giphy.gif

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
My bold prediction the other day was Maxime Comtois from Anaheim, which I'll stick to. No idea what a potential trade would look like.

I absolutely expect Colorado to add a defenseman too, given EJ's injury and concern around Makar. Wouldn't shock me if Jack Johnson was brought back.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
A player none of us is guessing for a 4th round or lower pick and/or a busted prospect. Maybe two trades like that. That's it, I don't think they aren't going to chase a weak or bad deal just to do something. That's for GMs who haven't already won a Cup to do.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
To Avs: Kuznetsov 25% retained
To Caps: 1st 2023, Newhook

or

To Avs: Schmaltz
To Yotes: 1st 2023, Newhook

Plus two smaller deals for depth C and D. Let's say Sherwood and Jack Johnson.

Reactions: shadow1

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3