Proposal: The annual BOS needs a 2nd line RW thread

member 88115

well... I did say LA ends up with a first and a second if kovy can score 20... 2 seconds if he cant... characterising it as horrible seems a bit harsh

honestly when teams are tanking and trying to develop kids... doing so can be a path to disaster. its important to have vets who can lead/protect the kids. kevan miller is about as good a team mate as you are going to find as far as someone who is there after every scrum and answering the bell if a show of team unity is needed

backes too...

I understand Clifford is like that too... thats why im asking for him back because boston cant trade away backes and miller without missing them. all teams need a character backbone.

I just think boston needs someone like kovalchuk for a playoff run and could get by with Clifford instead of backes/miller. for that im willing to give up a first and second {but if kovalchuk plays like last year than this would be a very bad trade for boston}

Toronto gave up a first to move marleau because Carolina was buying out the contract. boston is sending LA a guy who gets paid less real dollars and actually is a valued character leader/defensively sound bottom 6 guy... Carolina wants to contend now and was giving up its cap space... LA is in a rebuild.

not saying you need to love my proposal but I think you miss some of the finer points if you are calling it horrible
If LA is taking Backes for a season and some, should guarantee a 1st to help Boston with 6 million cap hit (regardless how much he is owed). Toronto had to get out out of the Marleau deal and paid the price required to gain the cap space. Not sure if Boston is at that point, but LA is not business of doing other teams favors.

LA biggest issue is that they have too many vets with the likes of Kopi, Brown, Carter, Kovy, Doughty, Martinez, Lewis, Clifford, Quick and Toffoli ( who is not that old). LA should continue to trade off some of the vets to make room for the young kids. Trading vets for vets, like a Miller for Clifford does not help the cause. Plus most in think Clifford will retire a King because of the example he has on and off ice. Miller just does not fit in LA, as McDermid does everything you mentioned for less than a 3rd of the price and Miller seems like he gets injured a lot.

To LA, both Miller and Backes have negative value. While both Kovy and Clifford should bring some type of value back.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Expensive, older guys like Kovy who can breakdown overnight and are therefore too high risk, are not a likely add, even if greatly discounted.

As I said before,
Buchnevich -- tho I get there is a preference to have righty shot for RW
and/or
Strome checks off all boxes and can slide into pivot. Reasonably priced stopgap, with inside first dibs to extend if he works out.

Just a matter of fair market price.
NY needs mins for other guys, can otherwise squeeze but would prefer cap relief to extend Kreider if they agree on a number.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Just wait till they figure out to ask for Bjorkstrand next.
ixnay on the orkstrandbjay amingnay in ublicpay
shifty.gif

Reactions: cslebn

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
Kyle Palmeri

NJ could use a pick.

Boston would offer Fitzgerald or Senyshyn and a second round pick.

I've always liked the idea of Palmieri, but I'd rather Fitz than Seny. Too much put into Seny to let him go, even if he never pans out.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I have come around on my wish to get kovalchuk... sadly that cap hit is a non starter

I also worry kovalchuk might really suck despite his hot start... a trade would have to be a bit conditional on performance

to make the cap work... I need LA to take backes but that wouldnt be enough
throw in a second round pick to pay LA for taking backes...

I would want to exchange kevan miller for kyle Clifford. move an unneeded depth dman for a physical element that can take backes place in playoff lineup...

but then the question... what do we pay for kovalchuk? i think kovalchuk at full price has negative value... but i need LA to eat 1/2 the contract...

if kovalchuk scores more than 20 goals this year... boston gives up their 2021 first round pick... if not the pick is a second rounder

and I will throw peter cehlarik into the deal. with a fresh start and a new coach to impress he will get some nhl games

LA is more than welcome to resign Clifford after this season if they value his character.

Basically all they really lose is kovalchuk next year and some cap space... for 2 seconds and prospect a lot of us bruin fans think can be a pretty decent 3rd liner.

boston gets a guy able to play rw that I personally think would bring out the best in debrusk... and who I think would be a massive upgrade asset for the second pp unit. it hurts our cap situation a bit next year and clogs the opportunity for an elc kid to get a chance... but we are a win-now team.

its a good move for us
Don't want Kovy, unless it is for Backes and a small add.

Reactions: kdog82

remer

Oct 18, 2005
LA needs some NHL talent and they need to get younger. They have 27 million in deadline cap space. Boston needs to figure out how to move Backes.
Boston needs a 2nd line Right winger. Tyler Toffoli is 27 year sold UFA. Bruins need to make a move where they can hopefully retain their trade asset.
Bruins have some talent in the AHL as well as on the current roster. Time for Sweeney to make a move before the Christmas holidays.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00