The American Dream Phil Kessel: Trade talk part II

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
So does anyone think of the Pens had Kessel, they would have beaten the Rangers?

The Penguins lost four games by four total goals.

Kessel averages a ppg in the playoffs.

Pens probably don't win, but the series goes longer.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Was bored so I made this for the occasion.
MobyKessel_zpsrrop7iwp.jpg

:laugh:

That is maybe the best one yet.

The Penguins most-definitely made an offer for Saad.

You mean DK is full of **** / tells half-truths? Shocking.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
You mean DK is full of **** / tells half-truths? Shocking.

I'm not sure why, though. They had it right the first time. Not sure what's to be gained by saying no "formal" offer was made, unless they think it makes the Pens look better. Or they are trying to push the "it was always Kessel" narrative, but I don't think anyone thinks less of acquiring Kessel simply because you made a detour to acquire Saad.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I'm not sure why, though. They had it right the first time. Not sure what's to be gained by saying no "formal" offer was made, unless they think it makes the Pens look better. Or they are trying to push the "it was always Kessel" narrative, but I don't think anyone thinks less of acquiring Kessel simply because you made a detour to acquire Saad.

Haha.....I guess that's what they are trying to do. Here's Madden.

"My sources tell me that no formal offer was made. And the reason that they didn't was that Rutherford was busying working on the details of the Kessel deal at the time the Saad deal went down."

Spin, spin, spin. They can't help themselves.

Not sure why they need to bother. Getting Kessel > Saad imo.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Exchanging names and making an official offer are by official standards not the same thing. Really splitting hairs in some instances for sure but...

They could be deep in talks and say so how does Sutter, Kap and Bennett sound without making a "formal offer"

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

Because every single one of those click-loving ******** are tied in with the organization on some level. What they want even more than clicks is access. Access (like in politics) depends on saying the right things / spinning things the right way (or, not saying the wrong things.... like inferring everyone but Rutherford thought Saad was the better option after the fact).

You know how this team operates. Image and marketing first. They're selling a product to a very specific group of demographics. In the end it doesn't matter what makes logical sense. Is anyone going to tell me Phil Kessel, with 1.2M of his cap hit eaten by Toronto, isn't a better / more impactful player for this team than a 6M-ish Brandon Saad? Not in their right minds, they won't. That's a no-brainer in every sense of the word. If you want the Penguins to win, Kessel is the guy you want more. Although ideally you cut loose a couple more old man contracts and have both of them – if only we had the assets but few if any teams could've made both deals.

Ah but Brandon Saad would've brought two things: winger skill (even if lesser skill) and the "home town boy" marketability. What would political angler Morehouse rather have for his marketing machine? A two-time Cup winning local boy who was as good or better than any winger we had to that point... or Phil Kessel, an all-star calibre sniper with superior offensive skills to Saad, but who instead of being a home-town boy was a maligned whipping boy for the crybaby Toronto media. They always had a helping of Phil with their entitlement salad.

Bottom line, Rutherford was right and most likely did right by this franchise, especially getting that early 2nd round pick back as part of the deal so we can keep stocking the system with decent players. (Not to mention the lottery-protected 1st rounder, which is not insignificant / very smart.) And also signing someone who has at least a shot of being as impactful as Saad in Platonikov. Crap shoot on that one but the chance is there. The guys who were pushing hard for Saad (if DK is to be believed) were obviously not thinking solely about hockey impact but about market impact and buddy-buddy "everyone has to think you're a regular Lovejoy if you want to fit in around here." God forbid we have someone who's just a little bit quiet and not Joe Soundbite. So ****ing sick of the way the media infects our culture and our biases.

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

"My sources tell me that no formal offer was made. And the reason that they didn't was that Rutherford was busying working on the details of the Kessel deal at the time the Saad deal went down."

Kessel is a better player for sure, and Kessel at 6.8 is amazing, but if their package had landed Saad, they'd have a lot of assets left over and could probably make more happen (plus Sutter would be gone).

It makes for an interesting discussion. Kapanen, Harrington, 1st, 3rd, Spaling vs Kapanen, Sutter, Bennett and maybe one other piece that I'm unaware of, but assume it's nothing extremely high-end.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

They could have been in deep negotiations without an "official offer". Especially if GMJR was working another deal. It probably happens all the time. There is really no reason to spin anything everyone is happy with the kessel trade and know we werent getting both. At least anyone with a shred of reason.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
The Penguins lost four games by four total goals.

Kessel averages a ppg in the playoffs.

Pens probably don't win, but the series goes longer.

It's interesting to think about.

No..they probably don't win...but it'll be nice to have someone else to rely on to score, other than Crosby/Malkin all the time.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Would be nice to get Rychel. Columbus does need defense...

I have a feeling Columbus is not going to be a trading partner with us going forward, anymore than Philadelphia will be. Once they entered our division that pretty much makes any scenario you come up with unlikely. Unless they have massive cap issues or something down the road and are desparate to unload someone other teams can't take on and provide the right pieces for.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I have a feeling Columbus is not going to be a trading partner with us going forward, anymore than Philadelphia will be. Once they entered our division that pretty much makes any scenario you come up with unlikely. Unless they have massive cap issues or something down the road and are desparate to unload someone other teams can't take on and provide the right pieces for.

I get the feeling that a Columbus - Pittsburgh deal is far less likely than a Pittsburgh - Philly trade. Columbus really really hates Pittsburgh.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

I thought Rutherford came out and said as much?

Something about parts being taken away from the Kessel deal was not gonna happen. Priority #1 Kessel.

Kessel is very much>>>>Saad.

Quatro Quatro

May 29, 2014
Would be nice to get Rychel. Columbus does need defense...

At this point, Pittsburgh also needs defense. Only Pouliot, Maatta, and Dumoulin are left from the original group of defensive prospects, and that's actually pretty sad since the Harrington trade was the only one that made any sort of sense.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
At this point, Pittsburgh also needs defense. Only Pouliot, Maatta, and Dumoulin are left from the original group of defensive prospects, and that's actually pretty sad since the Harrington trade was the only one that made any sort of sense.

It's funny, out of all the D this team had, Harrington, Goligoski, and... Michalek got the best returns...

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Kessel is a better player for sure, and Kessel at 6.8 is amazing, but if their package had landed Saad, they'd have a lot of assets left over and could probably make more happen (plus Sutter would be gone).

It makes for an interesting discussion. Kapanen, Harrington, 1st, 3rd, Spaling vs Kapanen, Sutter, Bennett and maybe one other piece that I'm unaware of, but assume it's nothing extremely high-end.

The package Cbus gave for Saad is not far from what we gave for Kessel.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh

Indeed...and there's the problem. But I feel Rychel has the chance to be a really good player, and he could replace Kapanen in the depth chart.

Perhaps when they trade Sutter they'll look to get a defensive prospect back to help restock their defensive pool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad