The "All Things NYC" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianomc

Jul 16, 2010
Thinking of a holiday in New York in December. I love taking in different sports games wherever I go but after a few trips to america I have yet to see an american football game. If a game kicked off in meadowlands at 1pm, what time would it finish around and how easy would it be to get back to MSG by 7 for the hockey? Using public transport only please, I won't be driving.

I'm aware the football season might not even go ahead, I would just like to know if its possible to fit both in. Thanks for the help.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
A typical NFL game is about 3 hours so a game with a 1PM start should finish around 4PM barring overtime. There is train service between The Meadowlands and Penn Station, which is right where MSG is. It's a relatively short trip so you'd have no problem getting to MSG in time for a hockey game starting at 7PM. You'd have plenty of time to spare.

Edit: Only date possible in December looks like December 11 (Jets vs Chiefs and Rangers vs Panthers).

brianomc

Jul 16, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah I was scouting out those 2 games, coming over to watch 3 rangers games and that was the only football game to take in. Used to be a chiefs fan as a kid so it worked out well. I'm 1-4-0 in Rangers games I've been to, for the sake of the team maybe I shouldn't come over :(

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
If the Rangers can't beat Florida at home...

Anyway, just be aware that there is always the remote possibility that the Jet game could be "flexed" to Sunday night. But with the Jets Chiefs game going up against a Giants Cowboys game, I'd rest easy.

NHRangerfan

If you do not mind blowing a bit of money on an expensive meal, hit up Peter Luger's in Brooklyn. I think it was rated the best steakhouse like 25 years in a row or something like that.

Great advice...as an fyi check their website its been 3 or 4 yars since I've been there and at that time the only credit card they took was their own Peter Luger credit card...so have plenty of cash on you.

I also like Churascarria Plataforma in the Theater District...Brazilian steak house. If you are a carnivore this is heaven.

Mr Atoz*

Great advice...as an fyi check their website its been 3 or 4 yars since I've been there and at that time the only credit card they took was their own Peter Luger credit card...so have plenty of cash on you.

I also like Churascarria Plataforma in the Theater District...Brazilian steak house. If you are a carnivore this is heaven.

Unless you plan on going at an off-peak hour, getting reservations at Luger's is very tough. At least a month in advance. If you are willing to go at 3 in the afternoon or 11 at night you have a shot on short notice. Luger credit card or cash only. Don't skimp if you go. Get the porterhouse and german potatoes. For appetizers the shrimp cocktail and sliced tomatoes or tomatoes and onions are my favorites. Apple strudel for dessert. Figure on a minimum of $100 a person.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I have obtained a studio apartment on the UWS.
I was wondering if any of you guys had any tips or places to shop for stuff that I can rely on to save money on groceries and such. Of course, any other money-saving tips would be appreciated, as well!

I live right in this hood too.

Trader Joe's is the #1 best place for high-quality, cheap groceries. Their prices arent just good for NYC, they're good for anywhere. I dont understand how they do it.

Fairway is #2, lots of unique things, reasonable prices.

With Fairway or TJ, go later at night to avoid the crowds, and avoid going on Saturday or Sunday unless you want to be swarmed with crowds.

Also, Zabars is amazing for cheese and fresh made breads, and some awesome Jewish stuff (I never ate Jewish food before moving to the nabe).

For restaurants, you can snag $25 gift certificates for $2 at www.restaurant.com . I use them at Fred's and PD O'Hurley's all the time.

MorrisWanchuk

Sep 23, 2008
I am looking at buying tickets for the isles-rangers at long island on oct 15th. at the moment some seats are available on stubhub. it says that the seller will send tickets via fedex to the buyer by oct 12th.

could people who have experience using this service let me know whether they think it is a) safe, b) reliable.

thanks

Mr Atoz*

I am looking at buying tickets for the isles-rangers at long island on oct 15th. at the moment some seats are available on stubhub. it says that the seller will send tickets via fedex to the buyer by oct 12th.

could people who have experience using this service let me know whether they think it is a) safe, b) reliable.

thanks

Stubhub is fine but I've bought 5-10th row tickets at box office a few days before the game with Rangers with no trouble many times. Did you check if it's a sellout?

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Anyone here ever tour the Brooklyn Brewery? I'm taking my dad next week. How long is the tour normally, and do they give free samples?

Martin2D

Jul 19, 2009
Anyone here ever tour the Brooklyn Brewery? I'm taking my dad next week. How long is the tour normally, and do they give free samples?

Never been, but I'm pretty sure the tour is super quick and they make you buy tokens for draft pours. Apparently a good time if you're looking for a party.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Hey guys,

I am taking my girl to dinner on Friday for her birthday. I am on a budget. Any bang for your buck suggestions?

TheStinger

Non Omnis Moriar
Mar 30, 2009
Barcelona, Catalunya
www.facebook.com
I am planning on coming to NYC near the end of November and wanting to catch the Rangers v Pens game at MSG. What are the cheap seats like, any good? Or should I pony up the $100+ for a lower deck seat? Also, StubHub seems like a popular site for tickets. Worth getting tickets from there or is there another avenue I am unaware of?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Do Rangers games sell out often? Can you get a walk up ticket?

Last edited:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

The tour is pretty lacking because they don't actually brew the beer on site in Williamsburg. They just show a room with some brewing equipment in it and explain the process very briefly. Last time I was there $20 bought you five draft tokens though, so it's a good deal and they typically have a beer or two available that they don't distribute regularly.

Mr Atoz*

I am planning on coming to NYC near the end of November and wanting to catch the Rangers v Pens game at MSG. What are the cheap seats like, any good? Or should I pony up the $100+ for a lower deck seat? Also, StubHub seems like a popular site for tickets. Worth getting tickets from there or is there another avenue I am unaware of?

Thanks in advance.

Rangers usually sell out and Pittsburgh is pretty much guaranteed to sell out. Ebay can be cheaper than StubHub. On resale sites you'll be looking at over $100 for almost everything, $1,000 for some. They're not selling the tickets to lose money. If you want to sit upstairs make sure that you're at the faceoff circle or better or you won't have the best view. But they're obviously more expensive. If you're openly rooting for the Penguins avoid sitting upstairs unless you want to do a swan dive into the expensive seats the hard way. I'm not kidding.

pavelich

Jul 16, 2009

Thanks in advance.

Ebay can be cheaper but there's a much better selection on Stub Hub. There are tickets for that Nov. Pens game there right now as low as $41. If you want to spend around $80 or $90 you can get tickets in the 300s at center ice. Those are excellent seats. I like to sit in the balcony, 400s, in the first row (row A). good luck.

KreiMeARiver*

Hey guys,

I am taking my girl to dinner on Friday for her birthday. I am on a budget. Any bang for your buck suggestions?

Il Bastardo in Chelsea has a cool vibe, pretty good food, and is relatively inexpensive.

Rust Cohle

Pessimist
Nov 4, 2009
Sweden
Planning a trip to NYC in February and I wonder if there's a big difference in atmosphere at the arenas with games like Rangers @ Islanders (Friday) and Devils @ Rangers (Monday) compared to Flyers @ Rangers (Sunday 1 p.m.) and Montreal @ Islanders (Thursday)?

Mr Atoz*

Planning a trip to NYC in February and I wonder if there's a big difference in atmosphere at the arenas with games like Rangers @ Islanders (Friday) and Devils @ Rangers (Monday) compared to Flyers @ Rangers (Sunday 1 p.m.) and Montreal @ Islanders (Thursday)?

Yeah. Big time. Even though there are some canadien fans at the colesium if you want great atmosphere go for the other 3.

Rust Cohle

Pessimist
Nov 4, 2009
Sweden
Yeah. Big time. Even though there are some canadien fans at the colesium if you want great atmosphere go for the other 3.

Thanks.

I'm probably going to spam this thread with a few more questions. Looks like we will go for tickets in the 300's and I wonder if people passing by in the aisle below row A gets in the sightline?

Also, are there any specific pubs or restaurants close to the MSG where Rangers fans usually gather before games?

Matteau Matteau

Apr 13, 2010
Manhattan
Thanks.

I'm probably going to spam this thread with a few more questions. Looks like we will go for tickets in the 300's and I wonder if people passing by in the aisle below row A gets in the sightline?

Also, are there any specific pubs or restaurants close to the MSG where Rangers fans usually gather before games?

To your question above, I would definitely choose the Devils or Flyers games. Both are intense rivalries and you get to see them at home. Both will have opposing d-bag fans, though Philly ones are usually more trashy and drunken morons.

If it's me, I'm choosing the Flyers just because I've seen so many Devils games. For you, I'd say take the Devils, because you haven't been to a Ranger game until you've chanted "MMMMMMAAAAAAAARRRRTTYYYYYY" :yo:

Also, a lot of people go to Stout before games. Nice place, good atmosphere and good food. Gets very crowded, though.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
There is a Brother Jimmy's BBQ a block from the arena. Great prices,and food, but you might have to wait a bit for a seat. And yes, there are rangers fans there. For the game, I recommend the flyers, or devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad