The "All Things NYC" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

damicius

Dec 10, 2008
Prague
subway

Hello, im going to my first trip to NY next week.

just one question:
If i buy $29.00 7days metrocard how do i add the $5.00 for airtranJFK? or its included? or second card? its not clear from the MTA site.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Hello, im going to my first trip to NY next week.

just one question:
If i buy $29.00 7days metrocard how do i add the $5.00 for airtranJFK? or its included? or second card? its not clear from the MTA site.

Usually I can answer almost any question about the MTA, but I think you have to buy another $5 MetroCard for using the AirTrain.

The Fare

Travel to and from JFK via AirTrain is $5 as you enter or exit the system. Children under 5 ride free. You pay the fare with Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard at either the Sutphin Boulevard or Howard Beach station (unlimited ride cards are not accepted for AirTrain).

Be sure you add additional money to your Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard to cover the cost for the subway and AirTrain.

http://www.mta.info/mta/airtrain.htm

Snoil11

Aug 30, 2006
Germany
Hello folks,
I am gonna visit New York at the beginning September and plan to attend some ballgames. Mets play the Marlins on September 1st and Yankees start their series against the Blue Jays the next day. For me, it is more about the experience than the game, so I want to grab the cheapest possible tickets

So here is my question:
Do you recommend to buy tickets in advance at StubHub or can I just show up at the ballparks and buy tickets from scalpers in front of the stadiums? StubHub offers start at around $8, but due to electronic delivery and other fees, this adds up to around $20. Any chance to grab tickets at this price on gameday?

Thanks in advance!

Zucca

Dec 26, 2010
Trondheim, Norway
Hello New Yorkers!

I am visiting NYC this monday /July 4th) and I´m going to stay for nine days. Also visited in december, so I got the basics. Any good tips and tricks for a summer vacation in the Big Apple? Already bought Yankees and Red Bulls tickets, and I do know about the fireworks......

Shoot!

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Hello New Yorkers!

I am visiting NYC this monday /July 4th) and I´m going to stay for nine days. Also visited in december, so I got the basics. Any good tips and tricks for a summer vacation in the Big Apple? Already bought Yankees and Red Bulls tickets, and I do know about the fireworks......

Shoot!

Definitely check out Dinosaur BBQ.

http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/locations/harlem/

Zucca

Dec 26, 2010
Trondheim, Norway
And, I forgot the most important question. I was thinking about adding to my jersey collection. Which is the go-to shop to get a customised Ranger-jersey in summer time?

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
Hello New Yorkers!

Shoot!

Go to food trucks/carts instead of eating out for lunch and early dinners (unless you plan on going to super fancy places). The food is not only cheaper, but in most cases better too. Scout them out on the Zagat site, and NY mag has a best cart section too.

I recommend Wafels and Dinges.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York

Mr Atoz*

My opinion is for the most part street food stinks. A hot dog or a pretzel OK but that "mystery meat" is something I keep away from. Why ruin a vacation by getting sick? You go to NYC for the best of everything. Not street cart vendors.

A few places that might interest you:

Hero's: Manganaro's @ 494 9th Ave.between 37ht & 38th.

Pizza: Ray's on 11th & 6th or John's on 44th near 8th (Whole pies only)

Incredible pastry: La Bergamote 177 9th Avenue (20th St) and 515 West 52nd Street (10th Ave)

Carnegie Deli - 7th Ave between 54th & 55th

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
There are some good carts, but not the typical dirty water hot dog kind of carts. Check online listings for good ones. Also the halal food carts are almost always good too.

If you like eastern European food, check out the Astoria neighborhood in Queens or (Russian) Brighton Beach in Brooklyn.

There's good Italian food (it's hard to find) but NOT in Little Italy, that stuff has become touristy and overpriced and the Italian population in NYC is spread all over, so there are real Italians making real Italian food citywide, not just in that neighborhood.

For food the best thing you can do is check out http://www.yelp.com and search for things based on how close they are to you as well as what they are rated and what people say.

For cool attractions while you are in the city, there are some good museums off the beaten path. There is the Transit Museum in Brooklyn Heights, the Intrepid Museum on West 44th and 12th (at the dock), Museum of the City of New York in Spanish Harlem, and the boats at the South Street Seaport.

Also be sure to walk the Brooklyn Bridge for a nice trek and some breathtaking views of the city, take in Yankees and Mets baseball games, and visit the boardwalk, beach, and amusements at Coney Island.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
So I'm finally moving out on my own for the first time, and I have obtained a studio apartment on the UWS. I've lived in NYC my whole life, but have never done my own food/grocery shopping. I'm going to be a law student on a very limited budget for the next 3 years.

I was wondering if any of you guys had any tips or places to shop for stuff that I can rely on to save money on groceries and such.

Of course, any other money-saving tips would be appreciated, as well!

MetalGodAOD*

So I'm finally moving out on my own for the first time, and I have obtained a studio apartment on the UWS. I've lived in NYC my whole life, but have never done my own food/grocery shopping. I'm going to be a law student on a very limited budget for the next 3 years.

I was wondering if any of you guys had any tips or places to shop for stuff that I can rely on to save money on groceries and such.

Where in the UWS? If you're in the Columbia area Westside Market on 110th has a wonderful selection.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
My apartment is on 71st. I'm willing to go a ways if it means a better deal though.

While nothing in the area beats Westside Market on produce prices, Fairway, while unbelievably busy, isn't that bad.

Fairway use to be much cheaper (and when you compare their UWS prices to their Red Hook prices, you see it), but it's still cheaper than other groceries (Whole Foods and Gourmet Garage - even though you shouldn't be shopping in either).

Regardless, you have a new Trader Joes on 72nd. If you are on a budget, get whatever you can there and fillout the rest of things they didn't have at Fairway. Fairway is open late (1AM), so go during off-hours to avoid the madness.

*Don't forget about Fairway's samples...it's like a free meal while shopping*

(...and I won't ask how a law student is paying the rent for a 71st UWS apt)

Last edited:

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
While nothing in the area beats Westside Market on produce prices, Fairway, while unbelievably busy, isn't that bad.

Fairway use to be much cheaper (and when you compare their UWS prices to their Red Hook prices, you see it), but it's still cheaper than other groceries (Whole Foods and Gourmet Garage - even though you shouldn't be shopping in either).

Regardless, you have a new Trader Joes on 72nd. If you are on a budget, get whatever you can there and fillout the rest of things they didn't have at Fairway. Fairway is open late (1AM), so go during off-hours to avoid the madness.

*Don't forget about Fairway's samples...it's like a free meal while shopping*

Thanks a lot!

(...and I won't ask how a law student is paying the rent for a 71st UWS apt)

Thank you, scholarships and financial aid! :laugh:

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
This thread has reached it's limit. How can we reformat the new one so that's more user friendly? Is there a way to gather the great info throughout the thread and condense it into the opening post for visitors?

the first post should contain FAQs and general useful information like how the first post of the prospects thread is jam packed full of useful info. incidentally, I might be going the NYC next week.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Trader Joe's has great prices.

To save money:

Avoid pre-made meals, ordering in and eating out.

Cook big items on the weekend (a pot roast, a chicken, soup, chili, a turkey) on Sunday and you can eat the leftovers the rest of the week.

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
My opinion is for the most part street food stinks. A hot dog or a pretzel OK but that "mystery meat" is something I keep away from. Why ruin a vacation by getting sick? You go to NYC for the best of everything. Not street cart vendors.

A few places that might interest you:

Hero's: Manganaro's @ 494 9th Ave.between 37ht & 38th.

Pizza: Ray's on 11th & 6th or John's on 44th near 8th (Whole pies only)

Incredible pastry: La Bergamote 177 9th Avenue (20th St) and 515 West 52nd Street (10th Ave)

Carnegie Deli - 7th Ave between 54th & 55th

Eh sometimes you have to take a chance on the street vendors. There are quiet a couple of diamonds in the rough throughout the city :laugh:

Then again I have not been to the city in a couple of years (damn Florida :shakehead), but some places on the street are definately worth a shot.

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
Hello New Yorkers!

Shoot!

If you do not mind blowing a bit of money on an expensive meal, hit up Peter Luger's in Brooklyn. I think it was rated the best steakhouse like 25 years in a row or something like that.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA

go to trader joe's

Marconius

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
OT: Coming to NY!

Hey folks,
Hope you don't mind me making an OT thread during the dog days of summer, but the wife and I are coming to visit or fair city in about a weeks time. We've done all the requisite research, picked up our attractions passes (The Statue! The Met! The Gugenheim! etc), but I thought it would be neat to get some real NY'ers opinions on things we should check out that might not be in the tour guides.

We'll be vacationing for a week only, so we don't have a ton of time. I, myself, am a comic book & hockey nerd in terms of 'other' interests, so anything you could recommend would be great!

Thanks in advance!
(also, what are the mosquitoes like there? I only ask because they are INSANE in Edmonton right now)

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
I've never heard of anyone getting mosquito bites in Manhattan before. There's almost no standing water for them to breed.

If you really need your comic book fix, visit Midtown Comics. They have three locations, including one in Times Sq. Unfortunately I'm not sure which one would be the best to visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->