The "All Things NYC" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
As a Norwegian I love New York....

In fact so much that since the year 2000 I've vistited it YEARLY...

So this is a thread I've read and gotten much info from, so thanks guys...

KEEP it up..

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Like I said before, you think it's bad now, you should have seen it back in the early 1980s. In those days subway cars broke down on average every 6,000 miles they ran (now it's around 90,000 miles--it's amazing how important routine maintainance is) and there were derailments almost every week. It was impossible to get anywhere without delays.

And that whole safety thing.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
And that whole safety thing.

It was such great fun in those days. You never knew when you would get someplace, it might take 45 minutes, it could just as easily be two hours. The whole city was falling apart. And there was no bottled water! I was once on a subway where it was so hot and so crowded that a when a woman fainted there was no room for her to fall down. People passed her to a seat and someone had a can of soda, which he tried to open and it sprayed over a bunch of people. But, she came to and was bundled off at her stop.

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
New York, NY

I'm going to be in New York Dec 1-5 with the future wife and was going to propose while we where in town. Any suggestions on a romantic spot, I've never been to NY so was kind of hoping for some helpful input.

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
Hey guys, I'm going to be in New York Dec 1-5 with the future wife and was going to propose while we where in town. Any suggestions on a romantic spot, I've never been to NY so was kind of hoping for some helpful input.

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
Possibly the most cliched spot I can think of, but one that women tend to go nuts for, is the ice skating rink at Rockefeller Center. The tree will be lit up at that point.

Another idea (still a little cliche but not as much) would be the Hayden Planetarium at the Museum of Natural History.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Since I'm from Brooklyn: The Promenade in Brooklyn Heights (see the link). You're not in Manhattan, but you have a view of Lower Manhattan, the Brooklyn Bridge, Statue of Liberty and the harbor. Only thing, it can be cold there.

http://nyharborparks.org/visit/brhe.html

Good call, Brooklyn. Was going to suggest the same thing.

Especially at night on a clear evening.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
A less expensive option, you can take her on a Spirit boat ride around NYC Island, comes with a meal, dancing and lots of romance.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
There are a very nice couple of spots along The High Line, if you get there as the sun is going down.

Then there are a couple of great locations in Central Park, too.

MrBoxOffice

Mar 6, 2008
Kingston/Halifax
Hey guys,

Going to be visiting NYC for the first time with a bunch of friends. open to any and all suggestions for the 5 days we'll be there.

My only real question is about getting to Giants stadium from Manhattan and the logistics of the their tailgates?? Anyone know if there is a direct bus? I assume the subway ends at the state border?

Tailgate typically heat up around 10am for the 1pm games

Also flying into/out of Newark, will be leaving early monday morning after the RedSkins Giants game - so thinking get a hotel before the game on the sunday to dump the bags at the airport hotel - is this logical for location?

Really appreciate any help or tourist suggestions.

Looking for recommendations of places you would get piss drunk with your 5 best buddies from school.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Hey guys, I'm going to be in New York Dec 1-5 with the future wife and was going to propose while we where in town. Any suggestions on a romantic spot, I've never been to NY so was kind of hoping for some helpful input.

I asked my wife to marry me at central park on horse and buggy where he pulled over on famous little bridge near the Plaza. Worked for me.

Good luck.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Hey guys,

Going to be visiting NYC for the first time with a bunch of friends. open to any and all suggestions for the 5 days we'll be there.

My only real question is about getting to Giants stadium from Manhattan and the logistics of the their tailgates?? Anyone know if there is a direct bus? I assume the subway ends at the state border?

Tailgate typically heat up around 10am for the 1pm games

Also flying into/out of Newark, will be leaving early monday morning after the RedSkins Giants game - so thinking get a hotel before the game on the sunday to dump the bags at the airport hotel - is this logical for location?

Really appreciate any help or tourist suggestions.

Looking for recommendations of places you would get piss drunk with your 5 best buddies from school.

You can take the train to Manhattan to the Meadowlands. You can either take NJ Transit out of Penn Station and switch at Secaucus for a Meadowlands bound train or you could take the PATH train into Hoboken and take a direct NJ Transit train to the Meadowlands from there.

Bardof425*

Just walked by Step. Mcd and Arty doing some kind of photo shoot in Times Square. I leaned in and said arty shouldn't be there, he didn't go to Wisconsin. Both Mcd and Step turned and smiled. Arty didn't move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad