The all-purpose Q thread

What should/will the Jets do now that Q is available?

• Should and will replace Maurice with Q

• Should but won't replace Maurice with Q

• Should not but will replace Maurice with Q

• Should not and will not replace Maurice with Q

• Other (explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Jets should be all over Q, like a fat kid is over a chocolate bar.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
There’s no way Jets would fire Maurice, why would they? The team made the WC finals last season and is currently in a playoff position.

Also, apparently three Stanley Cups was not enough to keep his job, geez.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No way a small market team that probably just barely turns a profit going to spend 6+ million on a coach.

IDK, I think they might. I don't think they would pay 6+ mil to Q plus whatever Mau is getting though.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
These threads always come up when a coach is fired, and these coaches are all known for doing the things that fans here hate Maurice for.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
This is my take on Quenneville.

He does have a direct connection to Kevin Cheveldayoff, but Quenneville can be very picky about who he coaches next as he does have a tremendous coaching resume. Maurice is the most neutral coach I've ever noticed in the NHL, but I think he's done lots for the Jets which I would say they should just move his position into the management. He could likely get Babcock money.

I would personally think Winnipeg would be his best fit out of any team in the NHL because of our line-up. Not saying that as a Jets fan, as the true hockey fan I am. If any team I could see him being a great fit with if not Winnipeg based on their current situations, I'd say (in no particular order) Buffalo, Florida, and Philadelphia. I'd say the Blues considering he was once their coach, but I find he's a better fit when a young team is heading on the rise.

I would think AV would also be another great fit as his offensive system is very good, what also is a highlight on his resume is he has lead the Canucks to two of their best records and two presidents trophies in a row. But sadly, he had to go after that really bad cup hangover.

My take is Chevy and him should have a nice long discussion on if he'd like to coach the Winnipeg Jets. And if he wants to coach the Jets, Cheveldayoff should have a talk with Maurice and offer him a job in the management department as to which he could explore other opportunities in coaching or jobs NHL related. But if he turns it down let him walk away with a good handshake. But I would imagine Maurice takes a management job with the Jets as he seems to like it here.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Not a bad bet. Yeo has to be on shaky ground. With the start they have had, I expected him to be the first to go.
I don’t like Maurice very much, but I have to admit that he is at least about an average NHL. Thank God the Jets don’t have a really awful coach like Yeo or McLellan are. Still, I think Quenneville would be a clear upgrade over Maurice, even despite some of the similarities they might have as coaches. Q would still be a next level coach compared to Maurice. I really hope the Jets would try to get Q, as I see absolutely no chance of winning the Stanley Cup as long as Maurice is the coach. He will most probably take the Jets to the playoffs again, but I think that what the Jets achieved in the playoffs last season is pretty much the best that they can do as long as Maurice stays as the coach.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Taking out the question of whether the org would make the move or not Q would likely have a lot of success with this roster as there are a lot of similarities between the powerhouse Chicago teams he had and us:
  • A franchise cornerstone C in his prime
  • A potential big top 10 goalie in the league locked up
  • A young top complimentary top pairing in a similar mold to Keith and Seabrock
  • A lot of team speed and skill
  • An elite checking center and an elite checking line.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Q is a great coach but hes also pretty veteran heavy. Loves his facepunchers and wasn't a fan of Dano. There is no coach in the entire NHL that is more like Maurice than Q.
This is what I have been thinking all day as well. For those who are upset at Maurice and his love of vets why do you want a coach that has proven over the years to be even more an old school coach. Most Hawks fans were complaining about all the exact same things that people are complaining about here with Maurice, and coach Q has far less tolerance for young player mistakes so you'd need to expect the young guns to all spend time in the dog house. I could get behind an argument for a coaching change if people were advocating for someone new and innovated, other than for the coach who Maurice is an almost exact carbon copy of.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
My guess... Q ends up back in St.Louis. Where he started.

Great call and Army is a hell of a GM that might be able to pull it off.

However there are a two things that I think will get in the way. The Blues are not a big budget team and I don't think they will stroke the cheque to pay Q what his market value will be. Secondly the Blues are not a good coach away from being a contender. I don't see a path to the cup for them.

I could see Philly being a possible fit?

Last edited:

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB
Seems unlikely but there is now a 5th option for any alternate hiring scenario people might envision, from assistant up to President of Hockey Operations.

Good option.

I think he'd make a fantastic Mick E. Moose companion.

joelmick.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Laine Fan

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is what I have been thinking all day as well. For those who are upset at Maurice and his love of vets why do you want a coach that has proven over the years to be even more an old school coach. Most Hawks fans were complaining about all the exact same things that people are complaining about here with Maurice, and coach Q has far less tolerance for young player mistakes so you'd need to expect the young guns to all spend time in the dog house. I could get behind an argument for a coaching change if people were advocating for someone new and innovated, other than for the coach who Maurice is an almost exact carbon copy of.

I think that depends on when in his tenure your referring to. When he first got to Chicago he rode the following core hard:

Toews 21
Kane 21
Keith 26
Bolland 24
Versteg 23
Seabrook 24
Hjalmason 22
Brouwer 24
Hossa 31
Campbell 30

The core by and large was 25 and younger when he took over and 7 of the top 10 in ice time and scoring were 26 and under. I think he just grew with that group and continued to rely on them as they aged out.

He would be coming to Winnipeg in a pretty similar situation with our young core as follows:

Scheifele 25
Helle 25
Trouba 24
Morrissey 23
Connor 22
Ehlers 22
Laine 20

With the vet group being

Buff 33
Wheeler 32

I doubt he would come in and over play the vets as when he started with Chicago he rode his youngsters. All this is moot though as he isn't going to be coming here.

Reactions: Halberdier

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Q commands like $6 million a year. Even if the Jets had no coach and they hadn't just made the WCF last season there is still no way they would hire Q.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think that depends on when in his tenure your referring to. When he first got to Chicago he rode the following core hard:

Toews 21
Kane 21
Keith 26
Bolland 24
Versteg 23
Seabrook 24
Hjalmason 22
Brouwer 24
Hossa 31
Campbell 30

The core by and large was 25 and younger when he took over and 7 of the top 10 in ice time and scoring were 26 and under. I think he just grew with that group and continued to rely on them as they aged out.

He would be coming to Winnipeg in a pretty similar situation with our young core as follows:

Scheifele 25
Helle 25
Trouba 24
Morrissey 23
Connor 22
Ehlers 22
Laine 20

With the vet group being

Buff 33
Wheeler 32

I doubt he would come in and over play the vets as when he started with Chicago he rode his youngsters. All this is moot though as he isn't going to be coming here.
I think with Q you'd see almost the exact same type of usage as Maurice. Ride the players hard you think give you the best chance of winning. Q just has the reputation of having no tolerance for young player mistakes. Maybe our young players are far enough along none of them will spend too much time in the dog house but this is an unknown. But I do agree it is a moot point as Maurice isn't going anywhere.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Maybe there's a bidding war going on between all the likely suitors, trying to sweet talk Quenneville into a deal before they pull the trigger on their current staff.

I think someone like Quenneville has a very specific place he wants to go. I don't think he's going to want to tarnish his legacy. It's going to have to be a young team with a chance imo.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think someone like Quenneville has a very specific place he wants to go. I don't think he's going to want to tarnish his legacy. It's going to have to be a young team with a chance imo.

Add to your post that he has the balance of this season and next season where he makes $6 million per. My question is how much is the fire still burning and does he even need the bullshit any more? Not allot of coach's in the NHL that are in their 60's and rich with a great legacy. He has nothing to prove but who knows maybe he isn't ready to hang them up just yet?

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad